Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Five Guys (burgers) dublin locations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

also "the worst ever review"

There is very little info in it. Most here already know what to expect, but if you read it again you will see it is totally lacking. All this shite about francis brennan, beekeepers etc.
    No mention if the roll is brioche, baked there, or otherwise unusual.
    No mention what the chips are like, are they mcdonalds fries, chipper style, most mention the fact there is skins on them.
    Zero mention about the stupidly large portion size, which is brought up in all other reviews/articles.
    Are the burgers thick? cooked medium like bunsen?
    Can you customise the burgers? choice of toppings?
    No mention of the fact they serve alcohol -unusual for burger places.
    L1011 wrote: »
    if the veggie option is meant to be so bad it shouldn't be bought why the hell do they offer it?
    It is more that people are unlikely to be interested in a review about it. A new chipper opened near me that does a chicken curry with rice, I have no interest in hearing about it.

I imagine I would get the same look ordering the chicken curry as she did ordering a sandwich.

If I was a vegetarian (or just did not fancy meat that day) I reckon I would be going to a sandwich bar and not a hamburger joint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

threein99 wrote: »
    The reviewer didn't have the main food type they sell , what's the point of that?

It's a greasy burger chain if she wants fine dining she shouldn't be there.

It is likely (and the text implies) that she ate both. It is normal for a reviewer to go with someone, order totally different things for both people and try all of them. So they can get a good idea of the entire product range

The beef burger is described as poor in the review, for those who think it's the only thing worth mentioning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

L1011 wrote: »
    It is likely (and the text implies) that she ate both. It is normal for a reviewer to go with someone, order totally different things for both people and try all of them. So they can get a good idea of the entire product range

The beef burger is described as poor in the review, for those who think it's the only thing worth mentioning

"The actual burger is fine, in an “it’s not rocket science” beefy, meaty kind of way"

That's the only mention of the burger in the whole review and it's on paragraph 6 or 7. It's not not clear whether she actually has eaten it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It think it's normal for a reviewer and her mate to get different things. I still reckon she should have got a normal burger though. As for a veggie option in a burger obviously being shíte, I was in My Meat Wagon with vegetarians who got the veggie burger and they said it was really good. If you can't do something right, don't put it on the menu, simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,335 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have only been to five guys once here in Dundrum....it was overpriced rubbish...greasy...wouldnt have it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I’ve had 5 Guys in dubdrum; it’s alright. What I don’t get is why Desmond Jr pays (presumably) huge franchise fees while McKillen Jr effectively creates the same menu (Wowburger) without that added overhead.

Cienciano wrote: »
    It think it's normal for a reviewer and her mate to get different things. I still reckon she should have got a normal burger though.
    a burger and a hot dog would have made more sense, and both types of chips.
    My Meat Wagon with vegetarians who got the veggie burger and they said it was really good
    the reviewer got a veggie sandwich, there is no veggie burger in 5 guys.

i.e. there is no "patty" in them. Seems to be just a burger without the beef patty.
    VEGGIE SANDWICH
    Freshly grilled onions, mushrooms, and green peppers, layered with lettuce and tomatoes, on a soft toasted bun. Or, start with the bun and build your own from scratch. Not a veggie burger.

Marcusm wrote: »
    I’ve had 5 Guys in dubdrum; it’s alright. What I don’t get is why Desmond Jr pays (presumably) huge franchise fees while McKillen Jr effectively creates the same menu (Wowburger) without that added overhead.

because Desmond Jr still thinks it's the 1980's and that all Irish people think that all things from the US of A are automatically super cool and amazing.
    thankfully that inferiority complex has largely dissipated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

We went last week, and I honestly don't understand the fuss, I would have been happier with McDonald's.

Lux23 wrote: »
    We went last week, and I honestly don't understand the fuss, I would have been happier with McDonald's.

Its like a more filling McDonalds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I was in My Meat Wagon

Havent been in there in ages, in fact I forgot they were there till you said it. How was it?

A little cheeseburger in 5 guys is €6.95. In mcdonalds you would get 3 double cheese burgers and 1 regular burger for that.

So its sort of like saying going to that german beer festival in dublin gets you more drunk or "is more filling" than a regular pub, since they only sell 1L glasses.

McDonalds is relatively small portion sizes, low calories, this is why it is not particularly filling. People go on like there is something odd about the food.

When the large big mac was released all over social media people were saying "its not big at all", as people are just used to bigger burgers nowadays.

rubadub wrote: »
    A little cheeseburger in 5 guys is €6.95. In mcdonalds you would get 3 double cheese burgers and 1 regular burger for that.

So its sort of like saying going to that german beer festival in dublin gets you more drunk or "is more filling" than a regular pub, since they only sell 1L glasses.

McDonalds is relatively small portion sizes, low calories, this is why it is not particularly filling. People go on like there is something odd about the food.

When the large big mac was released all over social media people were saying "its not big at all", as people are just used to bigger burgers nowadays.

I'm talking one meal from Five Guys v one McDonald's meal be more filling. I know how much both cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

It think it's normal for a reviewer and her mate to get different things. I still reckon she should have got a normal burger though. As for a veggie option in a burger obviously being shíte, I was in My Meat Wagon with vegetarians who got the veggie burger and they said it was really good. If you can't do something right, don't put it on the menu, simple as.

they were also gargled at the time.

I'm talking one meal from Five Guys v one McDonald's meal be more filling.
    I think everybody knows this, which is a real downside to five guys for me. You appeared to be making out like it is possibly an advantage.

five guys do not even have "meals" anyway.

Just buy the amount of food you want in mcdonalds, you can not just pop into five guys for a sneaky small burger, the smallest is big. McDonalds is great as you can buy lots of different things, current eurosavers

Hamburger
    Hamburger - €1

Sugar Donut
    Sugar Donut - €1

Apple Pie
    Apple Pie - €1

Mayo Chicken
    Mayo Chicken - €1.50

Cheese Burger
    Cheeseburger - €1.50

Double Cheeseburger
    Double cheeseburger - €2

Chicken Bacon
    Chicken Bacon Burger -
    €2

Twisty Fries
    Twisty fries - €2

Six Chicken McNuggets ®
    Six Chicken McNuggets - €2

The burgers are definitely bigger, but I would be just as satisfied with the medium sized meal from Maccers. Maybe with a couple of chicken nuggets thrown in.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Havent been in there in ages, in fact I forgot they were there till you said it. How was it?

A few years ago, but really good. Hopefully standards haven't slipped

I havent been to my meat wagon in maybe 2/3 months but always found it really tasty, though the portion sizes are huge so I just tend to go for the box now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

gmisk wrote: »
    I havent been to my meat wagon in maybe 2/3 months but always found it really tasty, though the portion sizes are huge so I just tend to go for the box now.

How can you eat cardboard?

Passenger wrote: »
    How can you eat cardboard?
    Id say you just chomp away on it...

Its served in a box....I dont think you are meant to eat it...though the box might be tastier than a five guys....

• Advertisement

Id say you just chomp away on it...

Its served in a box....I dont think you are meant to eat it...though the box might be tastier than a five guys....

Meat in a box?! What a time to be alive. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The veggie burgers in Jo'Burger are so good that despite being a meat-eater, it's my usual order.

The veggie burgers in Jo'Burger are so good that despite being a meat-eater, it's my usual order.

That the franchise in Smithfield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That the franchise in Smithfield?

Not sure if there's one there but the have one opposite Grogans off Grafton Street.

Meat in a box?! What a time to be alive. :pac:
    Well it makes about as much sense as having it on a wooden board (with a shopping trolley filled with chips...) and probably a lot more hygienic....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Not sure if there's one there
    There is, opposite the Jameson museum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

glasso wrote: »
    because Desmond Jr still thinks it's the 1980's and that all Irish people think that all things from the US of A are automatically super cool and amazing.
    thankfully that inferiority complex has largely dissipated.
    It's just been replaced by the insta and Snapchat narcissistic generation where such branded outlets are perfect photo / post opportunities.

I've only been once in Dundrum.
    Burger was ok, but I'd get better in Eddie's.
    Bunsen still best for me.
    The chips in 5 Guys were vile! Far too much salt / seasoning. Had to smoother them in kethcup to make them edible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

We've only ever ordered the junior burger in Five Guys and it's more than enough (similar to a standard quarter pounder).  I think I'd get sick or be bloated for hours if I tried their normal size one combined with the overloaded portion of fries you get.  I agree with the reviewer in that quantity does not compensate for quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Response doesn't address anything other than basically admit their veggie option is sub-par. If you don't want to do something right don't do it

Pang wrote: »

Absolute dingbats, if you're going to respond to something like this, do it on the day of publication. Don't wait a week until its nearly forgotten about it and dredge the whole thing up again. So stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

inviting Cleary to return to the restaurant to give the experience another go.

Bet she does and gives it just as bad a review. :cool:

Lux23 wrote: »
    Absolute dingbats, if you're going to respond to something like this, do it on the day of publication. Don't wait a week until its nearly forgotten about it and dredge the whole thing up again. So stupid.
    Maybe it is not so stupid.. they have got lots of free advertising out of this, most people who know about 5 guys or have read other reviews etc know full well that it was OTT crap she was spouting. Several people I know heard about this review, none were put off and were saying rather it reminded them about its existence. They checked other reviews and saw it was meant to be OK..

If she had shown a photo of "The actual burger is fine, in an “it’s not rocket science” beefy, meaty kind of way but the bap disintegrates in a slick of ketchup and the Day-Glo orange cheese has the consistency and flavour of molten Barbie doll." - I bet many people I know would have been drooling over it. I have never tasted molten barbie dolls but know it is the easy single type melty american cheese, which is usually the one recommended for burgers even by most foodie types. The type many places like bunsen use.

And oh my god, a dirty "dining table", FFS, you're not in chapter one. In fact I am amazed she only said "probably"

they make for what is probably the most dismal dining table in the history of this column

has she done reviews in mcdonalds or similar too? I would love to know what other restaurants were in the running for "most dismal".

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Maybe it is not so stupid.. they have got lots of free advertising out of this, most people who know about 5 guys or have read other reviews etc know full well that it was OTT crap she was spouting. Several people I know heard about this review, none were put off and were saying rather it reminded them about its existence. They checked other reviews and saw it was meant to be OK..

If she had shown a photo of The actual burger is fine, in an “it’s not rocket science” beefy, meaty kind of way but the bap disintegrates in a slick of ketchup and the Day-Glo orange cheese has the consistency and flavour of molten Barbie doll." - I bet many people I know would have been drooling over it. I have never tasted molten barbie dolls but know it is the easy single type melty american cheese, which is usually the one recommended for burgers even by most foodie types. The type many places like bunsen use.

And oh my god, a dirty "dining table", FFS, you're not in chapter one. In fact I am amazed she only said "probably"

they make for what is probably the most dismal dining table in the history of this column

has she done reviews in mcdonalds or similar too? I would love to know what other restaurants were in the running for "most dismal".

Five Guys aren't charging McDonalds prices though. For the sort of money they charge, I think she's perfectly entitled to review Five Guys in the way she has.

Weird bit from the reply from 5 guys:
    Defending the work ethic of their newly hired staff, they argue that Cleary visited the restaurant during its opening week which was “a challenge for us and the new members of our crew”..
    Ok, opening week the staff will be in a bit of a mess.
    Every Five Guys store is subject to an unannounced quarterly audit by an independent firm which covers food hygiene, brand standards, and health and safety, they add. “We are extremely proud of the fact that we consistently feature among the highest scoring franchisees globally, and last year won the award for highest scoring international franchisee.
    I thought it was opening week?

• Advertisement

Weird bit from the reply from 5 guys:

Ok, opening week the staff will be in a bit of a mess.

I am guessing they mean the other branch in Dundum?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Every Five Guys store is subject to an unannounced quarterly audit by an independent firm which covers food hygiene, brand standards, and health and safety, they add. “We are extremely proud of the fact that we consistently feature among the highest scoring franchisees globally, and last year won the award for highest scoring international franchisee.[/
    He's talking about the franchise Internationally. There's 1500+ Five Guys.

Five Guys aren't charging McDonalds prices though.
    yes, you would expect cheaper places to be even worse. Not sure if you are getting my point. I very much doubt she has done reviews for mcdonalds, so I am really left wondering what where the other places she did reveiw that were in the running.

I am guessing they mean the other branch in Dundum?

It must be. But no point in comparing your dundrum franchise ratings with the one the person ate in.
    Anyway, I still haven't been, but even with the shít reviews I still want to try it for myself once.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

yes, you would expect cheaper places to be even worse. Not sure if you are getting my point. I very much doubt she has done reviews for mcdonalds, so I am really left wondering what where the other places she did reveiw that were in the running.

Why would she review McDonalds though? they are a dirt cheap fast food restaurant and nothing close to Five Guys in terms of price or marketing. It's you who is missing the point.

• Advertisement

Why would she review McDonalds though?
    ehhh, she wouldn't... You are still missing the point!, the mcdonalds thing was a tongue in cheek remark/question (thought this was obvious, apparently not). It was a "where in the fcuk has she been and reviewed that was worse!" or on a par comment. I expect her previous reviews were in restaurants where you could legitimately call it a "dining table" without sounding like a cringeworthy cnut.

If you read my comment again it was referring to the fact she said it was merely probable that this "dining table" was the worst. -So where were these places?
    The only free one is covered in debris like a flock of gulls has just departed in a clatter of wings. There’s a half-drunk milkshake and a fair amount of uneaten food. We push it to the far end of the table and sit down, hoping someone will clear the mess as we eat. They don’t. There’s a film of grease on the table. Along with the remnants of someone else’s lunch, they make for what is probably the most dismal dining table in the history of this column.

Five guys were right she does come across as a sensationalist cnut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

She has reviewed plenty of cheapish fast food places and burger places like Bunsen, not just upmarket restaurants. Five Guys prices itself like them and not like McDonald's so it should expect to be compared to them. It doesn't compare favourably. Obviously tastes are subjective but in terms of service, facilities and cleanliness it is below McD standards on double the price.

Advertising that their food is awful maybe!

I think what the review highlighted was that these type of restaurants are fooling people with limited culinary experience into thinking they're getting a more quality product because of the branding. They're just a burger joint; no less, no more!

She has reviewed plenty of cheapish fast food places and burger places like Bunsen,
    You seem to have read plenty of her reviews, so do you have any idea what places were on a par "dining table" wise?

I find negative reviews interesting and often amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

20 quid today for a burger, fries and a coke. Fcuk off lads. Average burger too.

Every now and then when Im in town I think about trying them for the first time but then I think if it costs 20 quid it will only be a let down compared to what I can get elsewhere for the same money. Thats their real problem, theyre a fast food joint with prices so high that they're in the same price bracket as lots of sit down restaurants making them less likely to get repeat business. If I ever do go just to try it out I doubt I'll be back for return business which isnt sustainable. Places like Bunsen and Wowburger thrive on repeat business with many people going there five, six or even more times a year, I just cant see the same effect at Five Guys

I was thinking recently that when the Irish company bought the national franchise from the Five Guys HQ in the US I doubt that just opening 3 outlets in Dublin only was ever their complete plan, I would have thought at least 10 or maybe even 15 nationwide was more like it. Otherwise why splash out a lot of money to buy the national franchise for Ireland.

So them only opening 3 premises and none outside Dublin shows it likely hasnt worked out like they expected. If/when this recession does come along it wouldnt surprise me to see it close down, anytime I pass the Georges St branch in daytime it is tumble weed in there with often no customers or 3 or 4 at best with the same amount of staff. And while the Dundrum branch is busy the rents in that shopping centre are eye watering so I doubt they are making a fortune there either. When they first announced opening up here it took them over a year to do so as they struggled to find rents they would accept in decent locations, I remember an article was written on them talking to lots of commercial landlords but the rents demanded being too high for them to make a good profit. That problem has only gotten worse since they first entered the market which is likely what has stopped them expanding to any extent.

Bunsen and Dash burger are lightyears ahead in quality. No comparison.

Where is Dash, there is a container place outside the Hole in the Wall pub on Blackhorse Avenue called Dash and I showed up there last summer expecting a burger place but it was just coffee, cakes and sandwiches

Capel St and Kevin St. It's really good. Better than Bunsen imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Heisenburger in Portobello does a fantastic burger.

• Advertisement
Advertisement