Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate speech on boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,598 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Should you be allowed here to comment where a person from X country kills a man in a hit and run and all media except 1 source reports it as a hit and run without giving the details of the country the person was from or a flight risk to go back to despite it being an actual factual record of what happened in the court case? Would a poster be classed as a racist/hate criminalist?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

No more of the Russian atrocity stuff. This isn't the thread to revisit evidence of specific crimes, Russian or otherwise. The topic is an important one, and it won't be allowed to be swamped with off-topic divergences.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Anyway the Russia thread is actively modded ,it seems the biggest issue is people claiming racism and hate speech who have zero contributions to this or other threads demanding mod actions because their multiple reports got no or little action, which means one or two thing ,the threads aren't being modded, but in the various threads there's bans and multiple warnings ,the Russian thread alone has a 40 + banned list on the first page,

Which means the claims are false or something else involving gripes against the mods or posters ,

Bar the odd troll there is little or no hate speech,but people want action but they don't know what exactly they are claiming is hate speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

@Boards.ie: Niamh From the inception of Boards the founders, initial users, Admins and staff have been fully subscribed to the idea of inclusivity...

It wasn't till 2010 that the T was added to the LGBT forum... This is what dav said at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

And what's your point? Gender identity and Sexuality are different things and a lot of the LGB community didn't want them conflated, though they've clearly lost that battle long ago and the renaming of the forum in 2010 reflects that.

Boards.ie isn't an echo chamber. It's one of the site's great strengths in the modern era of social media. The phrase "hate speech" has become so over-used and mis-used that it's become just another ad-hominem and, imho, goes against one of the founding rules of boards: attack the post, not the poster. More often than not it's simply an indicator of a poster incapable of defending their point of view and who wants to be able to shout down anyone who disagrees with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Reading this thread only one question comes to mind. Is it hate speech to call Nazis evil scumbags?

Because not all Nazis personally killed people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

So the issue was acted upon.

Not sure what your complaint is tbh.

🤷‍♂️

I think its pretty clear in the first post and my follow up response to you but if you don't get it, no worries

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I do agree.

Saddam Hussein led a dictatorship that perpetrated genocidal crimes on his own people, but it still wasn't America's place to waltz in and attempt to change that, especially on false pretences. However, I do think their actions in Afghanistan were justified.

The Brits have genocide to answer for all over the globe, for centuries on end. Ireland was but one victim of that.

We cannot do much to change the past, but we can change the present, and one good thing that is emerging from the Russian invasion of Ukraine is that democratic nations are drawing a much stricter line in the sand about how rogue nations should be treated.

The peoples of criminal nations should be treated to the consequences that are bestowed on the criminal nation as a State; confinement, isolation and penury. If those populations wish to do something about that, well they know well what that is.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Moved from Help Desk

As this is about site rather than forum rules I think it sits better in the Feedback Forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I had the odd look into that thread out of morbid curiosity rather than anything else and

• it s full of hate speech and that's not even the worst by any stretch
    • it's full of armchair strategists and sofa warriors who seem to live out their most morbid, violent and psychotic fantasies as though in some lifelike video game fantasy or something
    • its also not short of - quite frankly - full on idiots who'd love to start WW3 in the morning
    • and I dare say that most of those threadbans are most likely people going against the thread line, people who that thread would call Putin trolls or such rather than people overstepping the mark on the hate speech and outright psycho stuff - although admittedly I can't substantiate that
    • it's not without its advantages though - you know straightaway who to give a wide berth on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

As a white middle aged heterosexual male am I still allowed post (hate when people say that as a gotcha)? How many ists is that?

Russian loving ,tree hugging,oat milk drinking,fake meat eating types .

But with regards to the topic in this thread, it does peeve me when a response is just: well typical xyz. Whether sexuality, sex, race...its annoying. Its open season on some combination. Usually the same posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

"From the inception of Boards the founders, initial users, Admins and staff have been fully subscribed to the idea of inclusivity and they/we still are. This is where the very basic 'don't be a dick' rule came in and the mod direction that started this thread was intended as an implementation of that."

Boards has continued to allow people with intellectual disabilities be denigrated with casual use of 'retard' and 'retarded' as derogatory terms. Boards doesn't allow similar derogatory terms for black people or gay people or people from Pakistan to be used, but it's OK to take swipes at people with intellectual disabilities, presumably because it's a common insult used by a certain age group (the Jackass generation).

Not to mention of course that civility was once held very strongly here. I don't think boards is anywhere near as civil any more. There's too much sniping, nit picking and of course, attacking posters, not posts.

I know the admin don't agree with me as one has already told me they don't agree with my issues, which to me, is a huge part of the problem. Boards was once very much, "This is our house, you play by our rules, or you're out. The internet is a big, big place, go play somewhere else." Boards mods had such a reputation of being utter fusspots and (to put it mildly) were not liked by a lot of people because of how intolerant to anything that upset the ecosystem they were. But now boards placates to transphobes, xenophobes, "devil's advocates" and worse. Presumably angry, riled up people post more, so site visits go up and it's therefore more profitable to allow people to constantly troll and flamebait (remember when flamebaiting was a bannable offence?!)

I can go way back and say boards changed for the worst when it no longer switched off for the night. It was always a good way to know when to go to bed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Was there a prayer at bedtime and a rendition of Amhrán na bhFiann as well?

There was a weird countdown thread on The Cuckoo's Nest where people tried to post the last post of the day.

Oh sorry, were you being smart?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭BagofWeed

We could be here forever discussing the subject due to the savage history of mankind and the current savagery but I'd argue that the response from the international community is very different to Russia than it is to Saudi Arabia and Azerbaijan even Ethiopia.

I disagree with your opinion on the populations of criminal nations being treated to confinement, isolation and penury but I appreciate you personally apply that position to all of the criminal nations equally whereas there's a lot of folks out there who only hold that view towards Russia and have no opinion, knowledge or interest in the rest of the current ongoing savagery throughout the world.

I disagree too though about Afghanistan but that's for another thread. Sound.

Imagine the days when people just stopped at a certain time,

Over the last 16+ years on boards I've never not seen people posting around the clock, I personally think I've posted pretty much covering the whole 24 hour clock

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I have been active in the trans debates here for some years now. I was reprimanded a handful of times and in every instance it was because I over reacted and 'attacked the poster'. In my defence I would say I was antagonized by people more clever than me who know how to antagonize without breaking the civility rules. Not once in my hundreds of posts on the issue have I ever been reprimanded for transphobia in those threads.

TBF I can honestly say I haven't seen this consistent blatant transphobia you speak of, except for posts that would have been deleted of course. As Beasty said misgendering seems to be the main form of transphobia here, and I've even used the wrong pronouns myself inadvertently and have had to edit my posts before I got in trouble once I reviewed my post. So I don't recognize the picture you are painting.

I am absolutely convinced that my contributions on those threads would be deemed 'transphobic' by many people on this site and generally (which I deny) which is why I don't trust people who are hyperventilating over a discussion taking place at all, particularly when those people who do complain are always the same kinds of strongly politically motivated opinionated people, like the OP, and some who would clearly desire there be 'no debate' at all.

Like it used to be said, 'the internet is a very big place, go find somewhere else to play. "

I find a lot of people who haven't seen transphobia is because they don't recognize the harm they're doing with their transphobia. It's subtle and insidious.

The biggest one of course is misgendering people, there's also flat out refusing to admit trans people exist, that's here in spades. There's also people threatening all sorts if their kid is exposed to an as-of-yet-undisclosed curriculum where trans issues may be taught. All this should be nipped in the bud. You don't like it, fine, there's somewhere you can fit in too, the I ternet is vast.

Boards was definitely more of an echo chamber back in the day, but it was an awful lot more fun, weird and wacky back then too. It wasn't constant debates, and flame baiting was not tolerated.

It was about 20 years ago. something to do with the server.

First I've heard about it , boards going to sleep mode ,of course all pre social media and 24/7 content availability,now it's people are all day everyday it obviously gets quite after after midnight but there's definitely more people active into the later hours than their used to be .

Me (Replying at 2am )

• Registered Users Posts: 25,413 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

you can be critical, disagreeable, passionate and enthusiastic about your views and more besides…. regarding immigration….Without being threatening, abusive or stirring up hatred…the thread and more besides are fine…. I think with some extremist militant fanatical leftish views they like to frame any opposition regardless as how it is communicated as ‘hate speech’… when you ain’t winning the argument, in fact losing spectacularly … throwing accusations at people is a poor last resort.

hate speech is a crime

In Irish law, hate speech is any communication that is made in public with the intention or likelihood of being…

threatening or abusive and likely to stir up hatred against people because of their:

• Race
    • Colour
    • Nationality
    • Religion
    • Ethnic or national origin
    • Membership of the traveler community
    • Sexual orientation

You can be critical, demonstrative, dismissive, argumentative whatever and still not be threatening, abusive or likely to stir up hatred...

there is NO hate speech… plenty of passionate discourse and debate….which is the very essence of boards.ie….

I welcome it… from both sides…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Have you ever had a fist fight OP? Have you ever made a real friend of those you pretend to white knight for? Where you ignored in PE?

Lets get to know each other and I'll show you what real hate speech is not your hide in the parlour version

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement