Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green fees for people who aren’t members anywhere.

• 11-01-2023 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have questions……

I played golf for a year or so when I was 13/14 years old. I drifted away from it but always intended to get back to it because I actually loved it. 30 years later, I finally bought some clubs and have been hitting the driving range every week for a few months to get back into the swing of things (excuse the pun).

Anyway, with the spring approaching, I finally want to get back out on a course. But I actually don’t know anyone who plays golf any more and I thought I’d seek advice here. I don’t know how much I’ll get to play and I was thinking of paying green fees rather than paying for membership because I’m not in a position to pay a grand for the privilege if I end up only playing 5-6 times a year. If it turns out I want to play every week and have the time, I would obviously just join a club. But I just want to test the waters first.

So what is the rate I would have to pay? Is it the international visitors rate? Local course is €150 which seems a bit steep. It’s a third of that for GUI members. There’s another local course that has €25 twilight rounds but it doesn’t specify whether you need a GUI membership. It says you must have a handicap under 28 but obviously I don’t have one. I know “just ring them up” is the simplest answer but I would like to be forearmed with some idea. I hear a lot of people are playing different courses and paying green fees rather than joining one but I can’t imagine at €100-200 a round that many people are at that?

And are courses happy enough to have a randomer turning up to play by himself? Obviously not at peak times but of a quiet evening? I would prefer to play a few times by myself before being paired up with a stranger. I get stage fright when someone else comes into the driving range ☹️ And I like the idea of playing alone rather than having to keep up small talk. Ideally I’d like to book a tee time online when there seems to be a lots of free times and just turn up, pay and play without annoying anyone.

I know the etiquette and I bought decent used clubs and have appropriate clothes and soft spikes. And can hit a ball. So I’m not talking about turning up in jeans and hacking my way around with a set of rusty McGregors from the 80s. So I would not stick out as a complete noob. What sort of reception would I get? Am I a regular sort of customer or some sort of aberration who won’t be welcome?

Anyway, if you read all that, thanks even if you can’t answer any of them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I wouldn't be dipping your toes in at 150 a round for starters.

No one pays that. only corporate knob heads.

Have a look around your local area, unless you live in Mongolia, there should be an affordable course with a decent clubhouse and facilities that if offering reasonable 5 day member rates at the very least.

Clubs are always losing paying members through old age, they will always be welcoming of new members.

Enjoy yourself, this country has amay zeeeen golf facilities, you will not have to look too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

What finally got me to start again was talking to my cousin’s husband from America. He was asking about Ballybunion because his brother’s college team visited it in the 90s and it has mythical status over there and as I was telling him about all these other fantastic courses he’d never heard of, it dawned on me that I really should be making use of them myself. Next time he visits I can bring him out for a few rounds.

There are 100's of irish courses that would put the likes of Kinsale or Bally B to shame, trust me. They are wonderful courses, but very overpriced and overhyped, like steak in a restaurant.

Don't bother yourself with the hype, this country is flooded with brilliant courses and you don't need to look far at all.

I would write to all your local clubs and set out what you would like and ask how they can facilitate you. Any that don't get back to you are no longer an issue, if they don't want, they don't get.

Any decent club will get back to you, these are the ones you want to be affiliated with. There is a great world of golf in this country, enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,935 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I would use these

Also - you could consider joining the local GAA club or Pub Society - as this is a great way to start out.

We also have a society here.

There is absolutely no issue with you playing on any course offering a tee time like above. But --- you can be smart with this too - there are certain days that are better visiting certain clubs - and the key person to talk to is the Pro in the pro shop -= who 98 % of them are absolutely sound - have great advice when to play - where to start - days to come - other courses to try.

By the way - playing random courses can be very rewarding in many ways - you see parts of Ireland you would never see - and you meet great characters around the place. Not to mention - you see how Ireland is a special place for golf.

You can play absolutely incredible golf in Ireland for 25 to 30 euro.

What general area of Ireland are you in ?

Anyway - get out there and do it. You will love the discovery.

Thanks. That’s the sort of responses I was hoping for 👍

• Advertisement

I’m in Sligo. Was a member of Strandhill as a kid. If I start playing a lot it’s probably there I would join because it right beside me. Have been using the range at Rosses Point and Castle Dargan. Not big into the social aspect but I suppose once I’m on the course and get chatting to a few people I’ll ease into it a bit.

I’m know I’m fairly blessed with good courses on my doorstep. Shame not to make use of them.

Your absolutely blessed with great golf - but as locations go the golf around you is almost too good. What is the course in Castle Dargan like - it sounds a good option on the golf front.

Sligo is blessed with amazing links courses - that are now part of the tourist belt. Access to the course at that level in Ireland are becoming increasingly difficult for all golfers - so you might have to think a slight bit further afield. Not to mention - them courses are too bloody hard for a casual knock around.

Strandhill is a great track, played it a few years ago, much better value than the also brilliant Rosses Point.

Castle Dargan is (reputedly because I’ve not played it, obviously) very nice. It’s parkland but seems to venture into heathland further out where the trees get scarce. Had big problems with drainage when it opened (the soil around there is claggy and it’s fairly low lying). But they’ve done remedial drainage and it’s supposed to be much better. Because of the links course history around here it is a little forgotten about but it’s started to be appreciated more lately as there’s no other parkland course nearby with Ballina, Carrick-on-Shannon and Tubbercurry being the nearest. It’s also hosted some competitions in recent years. It’s gradually found its place locally. They say they require a 28 handicap or lower to play but I imagine that’s just a way to stop non golfers from “having a go” with zero clue.

• Advertisement

I think you need to forget about this 28 handicap thing - most clubs in Ireland don't even consider it and let society lads in from every Pub - GAA club and charity day you can think of.

Forget all that stuff.

You’ve put me off golf with that 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭French Toast

I started golf as a complete beginner in May. I used to play hurling so the motion of the swing feels natural and after lots of YouTube videos and a few trips to a driving range I'm happy with how it's going.

I've played 3 courses ranging from €45 down to €15 (off-season) for a round of 18. All three seemed welcoming of a stranger playing on his own. No questions about my handicap or anything along those lines.

I don't see myself having membership anywhere for the foreseeable future. Maybe down the line but for now I'll continue paying my green fees.

In a similar boat to myself. Apart from the hurling. Played it once. They were Tipp under age players. Bad idea. Rang rings around them at soccer though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Castle Dargan is great when it's dry, unfortunately is suffers during wetter part of the year still despite all the works carried out and suffers badly

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There are not 100's of Irish Courses that would put Ballybunion to shame, it has two fantastic links courses, a welcoming clubhouse and excellent practice facilities.

Through personal choice there are likely courses better but these will rank just about into low double figures at best, not 100's

• Registered Users Posts: 27 johnny1x

Both Ballina and Tubbercurry Golf Courses are pretty close to you in Sligo and a lot more reasonable than €150 a round.

You could join Ballina GC at was is called a Try Golf rate of approx €200 for the year.

Probably too far away from me. It’s an hour away. You’d spend the difference on fuel if you played reasonably regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭willabur

100s of courses.... please, list 10 and point out the shame please!

Echo to what everyone else said, would add that there are a tonne of open days and charity days around. Go play in those, you will need a GUI to be part of the comp but unless you are in a two ball and the other guy needs you to sign his card then you will be totally fine. Plenty of times I have booked courses on GUI rate and they never asked for proof of GUI, so you could be cheeky also

Links - Dooks, Baltray, RCD , Ballyliffin, Tralee , Trump, Lahinch, Ceann tSibeal , Ennistymon, Rosses Point ( also overpriced ) .... off the top of my head. Leaving out Rossa Penna just to wind you up.

My point was not that neither Kinsale or BallyB are bad courses, but every golfer in the country knows that they are both overrated and overpriced.. great clubs etc, but overpriced all said.

Don't get me started on the parklands, we have some of the best in the world.... end of. I can probably name you 10 parklands in Ireland, that you may not have even heard of, that are better than the hyped and advertised tracks, just ask?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭dk1982

You're right except I found the Ballbunion practice facilities awful! Well in comparison to Waterville anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Dr Devious

You can join Rosses point and just ONLY play the Bowmore course for a quarter of the fee for the main course for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Sorry brain burp, Enniscrone. Ennistymon is a town about a mile from Lahinch. Apols.

Ballina is a great course, played it on a wet day, but well worth a look.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If i lived up that way, i'd be playing Enniscrone every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭golfguy1

overpriced in your opinion.....

they doing just fine business wise. timesheets full of people who find it affordable and good value.

2 brilliant courses and a lot better than some of the examples you gave.

I love dooks and cannot sibeal but no one would rate them above ballyb or old head

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

In what world is 395 for Old Head not overpriced?

I would have to agree at this point - the Links courses in Ireland are over priced.

Some offer a GI rate - and I know you can play various events.

But say I wanted to play The Island (and I actually do) - it is 200 euro.

(By the way I just checked and there possibly is a GI rate now - wasn't before ?)

Anyway - the prices are for exceptionally wealthy people coming to play the courses - the rates are now at a point where 98% of golfers are excluded from playing the courses.

Lahinch is now €275 - like seriously where are we going with that.

And on another point above - (I know Adare is a new addition and have not played) - but we actually do not have any of the top parkland courses in the world - none of them rank at all.

I know we have fantastic courses in Ireland - but for the number we have , we actually have less top top level ones than people think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,819 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It’s one of the biggest wolf ticket courses in Ireland in my opinion. Farcical price

Advertisement