Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC4, Sky News gone from Sky dish

Options
  • 26-12-2022 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

We haven’t had a Sky subscription for a few years. But, we have been watching the freely available channels that were still available, or could be tuned in.

Earlier this week, BBC4 and Sky News both disappeared from watching via TV Guide and, in the case of BBC4, from tuned channels too. (I’ve tried tuning in BBC4 again using the frequencies in the above sticky, and it’s no longer available.)

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Ps. Sky Arts and Film4 have gone from my list of tuned channels too.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

It sounds like you are missing the horizontally polarised channels. This could either be a faulty LNB on the dish or a failure in your box. If you can borrow a known good box from someone you can confirm if your box is at fault. More likely it is the dish LNB that needs replacing. If you can safely access the dish, it is a relatively simple job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I have his problem too.

I have an old Vu+ Duo connected to an old Sky+ HD dish and dual output LNB set up.

Since Christmas Eve, all H polarization channels on 28.8E freesat have gone.

Most notables are BBC 4 HD, ITV 2 HD, and BBC News HD.

I suspect that the power supply that switches the LNB voltage from 12v to 18v might be borked.

I can't seem to find an indication of LNB power or voltage supply to the LNBs on the box, so not sure how to check it.

Have tried power off at the switch reboots to see if it might come back, but not joy.

Christmas Eve sounds about right.

I may have to subscribe to a provider again. Though, to be honest, Netflix is 90% of what I watch. So, I may just put up with it, though I do like BBC4.

Thanks.

D.

Having looked into it a bit more, my box is ancient and has problems with capacitors in the power supply to the LNB.

I picked it up for a couple of yoyos, so not sure I'd be arsed soldering to switch capacitors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Banjo Carney

There was lightning on Christmas Eve maybe it affected your dish

Have ordered some capacitors, going to attempt the repair myself.

What could possibly go wrong?

Yes, good luck with the DIY.

But, isn’t it odd that we would experience the same problem simultaneously?

Our Sky box is also old. Might Sky have changed some settings that prevent those H channels from tuning on an old box?

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You can get Film4+1 on a Vertical transponder 10936. If you have lost all Horizontals, it will be a lot of other channels missing as well as Sky News etc. Did you scan for BBC Four after 7pm? Before 7 it will scan as CBeebies.

https://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2E-2F-2G.html

Yeah, I had done that as I had a complete rescan after BBC 3 + 4 and the ITVs went full HD.

It's odd, I'd say something happened it with the atmospheric conditions and with heat ccyles it has come back a bit, but either way it is indicative of dodgy capacitors.

Film4 SD does seem to be OK, but CNN HD, ITV 2 HD, and a few other vertical channels are saying Tune Failed.

A look on the owners forums for the old VU+ stuff suggests faulty capacitors.

• Advertisement

Update:

Miraculously, all channels are back today.

Most odd.

Anyone else find this?

I was just assuming it was my old box (fnarr), as opposed to anything service related.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Those three are all horizontals. CNN HD on 11671 H has been reported as going missing or having breakup by some people in the past. It is a very weak transponder with me, just 8.7 dB on a 1.1 metre dish (which is not perfectly aligned). Film4 which only has a SD version is 15.5 dB. It might be worthwhile to investigate if your dish is in alignment, before starting to replace capacitors. Start by looking at the signal strength readings.

I should have put @Dinarius on my questions, but maybe you both could have dish or LNB issues.

Channels not back for me. Still missing Film4, Sky Arts, Sky News. Too early to check BBC4, but I assume it’s still gone too.

D.

Just switched on tv for first time since last post. All channels back. 😎

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

BBC2 HD disappeared from my fully-subscribed box at some point over the last few days!

BBC2 NI HD still there, but I had all my recordings set for the main channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Everything as i got a lad who bought my unworking box and said powerboard also gone .

Caps were replaced 14 months ago so had to get a better faster box with less issues

Forgot to mention caps have a + or - photo and double check your polarity is correct.

Good point. My BBC2 HD (347) has also gone. It has also disappeared from the Favourites list.

But, my manually tuned BBC2 HD is still there.

D.

Bookmark that link on pc as even today there was more movement on 28.2

There isn't any movement on 28E itself (yet**). What happened was FreeSat have reconfigured their boxes for the new BBC 2 NI HD feed. Anyone using an NI postcode will have seen the alteration. The other changes are some of the lesser channels doing their usual post Xmas rename. They change their names with the weather it seems.

E.G. 'Great! Movies Classics' has now been relabelled as 'Great! Movies Romance' & 'Great! Movies Classics+1' has now been relabelled as 'Great! Movies Romance+1'.

'Classic Hits' has now been relabelled as 'That's 60s' and so forth.

**BBC has fired up a new TP with some SD BBC1 and radio stuff. Presumably a move is coming for them.

Yes well used to the Christmas names coming or going and new names.

I like Hd better than the bad sd .

Might need to run my ABM to show the new names and positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭DublinKev

Me too, same thing. Very frustrating to have all the Northern Ireland programmes instead of the main BBC 2 England content. Guess it’s across the board for all Sky dishes here in Ireland?

Odd that we can still get BBC1 England on the epg but now no BBC2 England.

Loads of movement here and maybe the start of sd channels dropped. Are you on right frequency etc?

BBC4HD working

My area is not UK and might be on another area and have still sd programs and epg.

I might be on Northern Irl area

If you are using an actual FreeSat branded box then change the postcode to London if you don't want NI channels.

It’s a Sky Q box. Assume that can’t be done with one of those?

Might need to go into location to see if it can be changed to pull channels from a different area.

Might be in tuner setup locations ? make a note of what one is tuned for.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Sky Q boxes can’t do anything like that, your EPG region is determined by the postcode on your viewing card (or the viewing card that was last inserted).

Otherwise it’s into the awkward and finicky manual tuning function, if you know where it is.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I have added BBC2 HD England to added channels. It’s something, but you can’t record anything from those channels, or rewind, get info etc….

Wonder why it was removed entirely from the epg in Ireland. I have no difficulty with them putting BBC2 NI HD on 142 but why not leave BBC2 England HD somewhere else like it was before.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Cable platforms generally only have one version of BBC One and BBC Two (usually NI) on them, they haven’t typically gotten England in the past.

My recollection is that BBC One London was left on the Irish EPG for reasons to do with the availability of audio description on that variant. Not sure why that wouldn’t also apply to BBC Two though.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Clitheroekid

BBC2 England still on Virgin Media

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭mike2084

BBC 2 England is still on Channel 969 for the moment, albeit only in SD.

Advertisement