Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

There are lads making a decent living in suckler to beef. It’s not massive money but if the aren’t interested in converting to dairy then I don’t see the issue.

The poor quality dairy calves will probably end up being subsidised.

The dairy expansion in Ireland was subsidised through tax free rents, tams grants etc.

The calves were hard sold last year. Say you got 600 for a freisian bullock yearling. That’s a lot of work for that return.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Its not about hate its about economic reality. As I have posted here before there must be some amount of lads making money selling suckler farmers stuff from the way the farm organiations and the journal amoung other get so excited against giving farmers money to exit them. At present 70%ish of suckler calves are subsidised to the tune of 150/head, from this year on that will increase to 200+ yet they are still a extremely low margin system. I cannot understand the opposition to paying farmers to exit a system that is nobody business but there own.

You will carry 1.5 calf to beef unists easier than a suckler cow and 2+ if the suckler bred calf is being finished. You will carry 2+ store to beef units and 3 if the suckler bred animal is finished. Lads at the calf to beef system are hitting 500+ of a net margin per unit and store to beef man is 250+/head net. These systems are easily managed and if handling dairy bred stock herding is very easy against the average suckler cow that wean's 0.8 calves per year.

The amount of lads wanting to exit sucklers is sizeable, they are going to leave anyway......and the government were going to pay them until the farm organisations threw a tizzy along with the rag and the processors.

Whether we like it or not the amount of dairy bred stock is going to increase in this country, export of calves will reduce at best if not cease. You just have to look at lamb prices at present to see what happens when the processors get the upper hand similar to beef in 2018 here. Again the same lads as are aginst the suckler cow exit payment were not in our corner then either.

There will always be sucklers in this country, there will be a core of farms big and small along the west coast that have little choice. its makes much more sense for lads on better land types to look at other options.

in the words of the great John Shirley ''while it never pays to breed a bad one it often pays to buy one''

Slava Ukrainii

Suckler and calf to beef lads are exiting the system as is. I don’t see the need for an exit payment

Lads rearing poor quality dairy calves will need a subsidy or a dig out to stick at Id say.

The lads weaning .8 calves to cow need to seriously up their game

when you buy a friesian at 3 weeks old or 3 years old if you want a margin on him you carry him to the hook the mart is no place for friesians.. Even when finished they seldom make more in the mart than the factory. I saw a fine 730 kg FR bullock (34 months) make 1630 today in Castleisland on the hook he would have made 1880 euro. He had two moves seller laft 250 behind him IMO. Now I taught it was poor weight for him if the seller had bought him at about 11 months. If I bought him at that age I would have him hung at sub 30 months at 40-50 kgs lighters at most

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

That’s the point though. In my opinion you need to carry stock to finish to get the benefit @Sheep breeder I think you would agree with that and that you need to ideally have a bit of quality breeding in your calf to beef stock.

1880 might sound like a lot but I have done bullocks at 24 months at 2k and heifers over 1500 at around the same age in 22.

You operate a tidy operation and are making a good profit.

The future in beef in my opinion depends on a low input cost model.

So its ok to subsidize farmers for every other sort of thing. You could make the same excuse for the fodder schme, farmers were going to make fodder anyway. Why give payments to suckler farmers in the form of BEEP etc they are going to produce calves anyway. The IFA were very fast in 2019 and 2020 ( i think they were the years) to give finishers and suckler farmers a payment when the processors were acting the mick. Yet when the Government were coming with a wad for the beloved suckler cow there was consternation by a rabble and while I can see the processors reason I can see nobody's elses reason

You and a lot of other are being hypocritical. Are you afraid you will be the only one left with a suckler cow.

Slava Ukrainii

I didn’t bother with that scheme myself. Prices were on the floor in 2020 but rebounded nicely and we did well.

There is a place for subsidies. The fodder support scheme was taken up by a lot of beef farmers. Did you take it up?

We can see the reduction in the sfp etc. I go back to my point I think it’s essential to operate a low input cost model in beef.

I don’t think that much of the ifa if I am being honest.

I don’t see myself as a hypocrite for staying in sucklers. If I was weaning .8 calves to the cow or like Angus woods slating the industry in my job while continuing at them on the side then it would be hypocritical

THere was a lad on here doing friesians from calves he was hanging them at about 360 kgs at 28 months. Lads are buying friesian calves 4 weeks old at sub 50 euro at present. That lad would have turned 1800/head last year. He feeds no meal the second winter. You have a mental block about production. There is a lot of us know its about keeping costs low. With friesians its a matter of not tying to finish over a winter. At that calf cost if prices hold this year that lad will have a net margin og 800+/head. If he can keep 1.5/ suckler unit he will have a comparable net margin of 1200 euro compared to a suckler farmer selling his calf as a weanling. How many sucklers average that for weanlings in the country I say I could count them on one hand.

Slava Ukrainii

What were his costs like as in how much meal was he feeding them to finish them at 28 months?

My bullocks would be way heavier than his at 25 months not to mind 28

• Advertisement

I am not saying you are a hypocrite for staying in sucklers but you are for being against the suckler exit payment as were the FJ journalists and the farm organisations. Yes I took the payment just like I took what I got from the second BF payment, I had to pay back the first one as I only got 400 euro and I was unwlling to reduce by stocking level by 5%.

Slava Ukrainii

I am against the payment because the cull price is good at the minute. I don’t see the need for it. We are seeing continuing exit in sucklers as it is.

The genesis of the scheme is the methane argument and to me there are better ways to deal with it as in improving genetics, sequestration and maybe methane reducing boluses

Other than as a calf I think he was feeding 1kg during the first winter and 3kgs 6-8 weeks pre finish probably sub 300 kgs.

Slava Ukrainii

That’s very good for freisians to be fair. I’d say he would have struggled in 22 with the drought etc.

Hopefully we see a decent price this spring summer and we don’t get hit with a drought again

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Interesting comparison of grass and grain fed beef in the US, fillet pronunciation is a bit different, comments are worth a look through too.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somewhat disappointed

Good to see we are coming back to reality for cattle prices. If inflation had continued the prices which were achieved for cattle 40 years ago Today's level seems to be levelling out. I have seen Hereford and Angus bullocks make prices in excess of €3 a kg liveweight. At the moment Farmers appear to be going to get paid for hard work which they have put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Had my agent onto me over the weekend looking for bulls. It’s a good sign but has the price rise slowed down a bit this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Agriland had this week that some farmers are achieving €5.45 for Angus heifers flat. There seems to be a great demand for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

I saw that too and was wondering was it a misprint. That would be a very bad price for Angus heifers at current base price unless they were very poor stock or from non QA farms.

Angus would generally average O+ killout. At €5.20 base that would be €5.08. Add 20 cent for QA and its €5.28. There’s minimum 20 cent and in some places up to 30 cent AA bonus so that would have you at €5.48 - €5.58 on the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭newholland mad

What are cull cows making. These should kill either side of 400kg and o's bordering on r. Quoted 3.60 and 3.80 from one factory but got busy lambing and didn't get time do any more about it since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭HHH

Beef price keeps gradually climbing week on week. I personally can't see it hitting €6.00 base this year. Where and when does everyone see it topping out before the inevitable fall? With the prices empty store cattle are making the last few weeks it wouldn't want to fall back to €4.50 / €4.60 again or fatteners will go broke!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

I wish I knew but I can't see anything near €6 base. Things kinda got away from the factories last Mar-Jun and they had to raise the base considerably until they had the feedlots full again. They have started buying the empty stores early this year, so I expect they'll have these fattened and ready to dampen the price from April on. They won't make the mistakes again. They are willing to pay the equivalent of €6 to buy stores as these 450kg+ carcasses will be the weapon to beat down the price with in a few months, and no overage or carcass size penalties for the feedlots so its a win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

God love the poor aul fatteners, now where’s me violin.

Herd €5.25 been quoted today for heifers from conversation with an agent. Anyone have any advances on that. They will be tight on supply next week on a local hauler told me.

Feedlots won't fill there orders. I think Larry kills about 7 or 8000 cattle a week alone. Want serious feedlots to keep them going

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

I'd say most of the 500kg+ stores being sold in the marts at the moment are now under the control of Larry in one way or another. Either his own feedlots or contracted finishing outfits. I find it hard to believe that lads not affiliated with Larry would be taking such a risk and buying cattle for ~€3/kg with the current price of feed.

When cattle come scarce like early last summer, all he needs to do is kill a couple of thousand of his own cattle a week to subdue the price and spook lads with finished cattle into selling. I hope I'm wrong but the mart trade for heavier stores making me think that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I wouldn’t say they made any mistakes last year. They might have had to pay for beef last summer but they wouldn’t have paid it if they weren’t going to make a profit on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭kk.man

If they didn't make a profit on it for a couple of weeks they sure as hell made up for it after the June Bank Holiday weekend.

Advertisement