Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Dec 22 Assembly Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

It may be tedious to you but there is extreme anger in my community that someone who knows nothing of the suffering at the hands of the Ira would hold up pictures of murderous actions of the Ira to progress his case. It’s simply disgusting. I actually don’t understand why you guys don’t get it.

can you imagine if a British politician had held up photos of Bloody Sunday and said that if there are forced checks within the Uk then ‘there is a real risk of violence’. You guys seem emotionally disconnected from what happened here. It should never be used for negotiating purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

All he did was show them the history of NI and why a land border could cause violence again.

How can you deny that?

Making it up that he is threatening violence when all he was doing was highlighting the violent past and the potential for it to resurface.

That has nothing to do with the Protocol anyway, because the UK government had already decided it didn’t want a land border either, so it was a non-issue.

The real issue is that the UK said they would make the protocol seamless, by bringing in technology and systems to make it so there would be no impact.

The fact they hurried on with Brexit without sorting that out first should tell you something about how little they thought about the impact to NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You're being less than honest here, downcow.

What Varadkar actually said was that there is a real risk of a return to violence in Ireland if a hard border returns.

But what you said in post #563 is that "the roi side are telling them [the EU] that if they do that [agree changes to the Protocol] then the Irish will become violent and restart the terrorist campaign".

Every single element of what you said about that is untrue.

In particular, Varadkar's statement was made long before the Protocol was conceived of. Neither Varadkar nor anyone else has ever that the EU agreeing changes to the Protocol risks a return to violence. You do the unionist cause no service by propagating lies like this.

We both know what the real problem here is; the Westminster political establishment, and in particular that part of it currently in power, rates the strength of the union, the health of the GFA and peace process, and the wishes, interests and welfare of Northern Ireland as all being less important that an ideologically pure hard Brexit. That, and that alone, is the reason why NI has the Protocol. Neither the EU nor IRL nor Varadkar are in any way responsible for this positioning by the Westminster political establishment. (Thought the DUP, for whom you still intend to vote, have enthusiastically supported it.)

This is a problem for unionism. One of the distinctive features of the union between GB and NI is that, most of the time, NI has next to no influence in it. NI has an insignificantly small number number of MPs in the Westminster Parliament, and never has any representatives in the Westminster Government. The parties that always form that government do not have, and largely do not seek, any political representation in or mandate from NI.

This isn't normally a problem. The British-identifying people of NI have effectively no say in the formation of, say, UK defence policy, or UK fiscal policy or whatever. But they don't greatly mind this; they are happy to be subject to common UK governance, policies, etc precisely because these things are common to the UK as a whole. And this is fine; it's not greatly different from, say, the people of Achill Island being subject to the policies, governance, etc of IRL even though they are too small in number to have any influence over them.

Where the wheels start to come off, however, is when UK law and/or policy with respect to the union itself is repugnant to unionists. This highlights an internal contraction in unionism — on the one hand, commitment to being subject to UK policies over which you have no influence or control precisely because they are UK policies; on the other hand, UK policies which evidence nothing but disdain and disregard for you. Obviously, in this situation, something has to give.

This obsession with Varadkar, this parading around Dublin with coffins, this misrepresentation of and blatant lying about Varadkar's comments — they are all part of an effort to distract attention from this contradiction within unionism. (Perhaps, indeed, to distract unionists' own attention. It may not be us you are trying to fool here, but yourself.)

Unionism deserves better. A confident unionism, with a degree of self-belief, would not accept disdain and disregard from Westminster. It would call out the UK government's policies that required the Protocol and demand that they be changed. It would not look to the EU and IRL to do this for them. And it certainly would not engage in an absurd and hopeless campaign of lies and distraction to try and bully the EU and IRL to do this for them.

Why don't unionists call for Westminster to modify policies which cause such harm to NI? Because they expect Westminster to say "no" — they understand that Westminister despises them. And they don't want to hear that said out loud. So they're like an abused spouse, publicly supporting and defending the spouse that abuses them and blaming the bruises and the blood on something, or someone, else.

It won't work — it can't. The only person who can stop hitting you is the person who is hitting you. If you're not prepared to leave the relationship — and unionists, by definition, are not — then the only course open to you is to change the relationship. What do you need to do to get the Westminster establishment to treat you with minimal respect? Identify that, and do it. The toadying and enabling that's going on now is the opposite of what unionism needs.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

you say:

“You're being less than honest here, downcow. 

What Varadkar actually said was that there is a real risk of a return to violence in Ireland if a hard border returns.”

tbh I couldn’t put it better than you have, so if something I am saying is being misunderstood I apologise. You are correct in that that is exactly what the Irish PM said. So thank you for being so clear.

I have two questions

1) what do you think you PM was trying to achieve by saying the above and also showing pictures of the Ira murdering six people in Northern Ireland?

2) what do you think unionists are trying to achieve by repeating the above statement aexactly and also showing pictures of the Uvf murdering people in the Rep of Ireland?

posters on here really do need to do a little self-examination about how the interpret the same statements to suit their agenda

In the first place, downcow, in post #563 you weren't saying something that was being misunderstood; you were saying something that was untrue. It would be good to have an acknowledgement of that. Neither Varadkar nor IRL have ever opposed changes to the NI Protocol on the basis that they would lead to a return to violence.

"What do you think you PM was trying to achieve by saying the above and also showing pictures of the Ira murdering six people in Northern Ireland?"

I think he was trying to point out that undermining the peace settlement by Brexiting on terms that would require a hard border between NI and IRL would create a real risk of the collapse of that settlement and the return of violence. I think he was entirely right to perceive that risk and I think he was entirely right to point it out.

"What do you think unionists are trying to achieve by repeating the above statement exactly and also showing pictures of the Uvf murdering people in the Rep of Ireland?"

I have previously said to you that if people perceive that the NI Protocol undermines the peace settlement and risks a return to violence, they are right to point to that risk. I have never objected to anyone doing this.

What I have a problem with is people who apparently perceive and point out this risk and and yet do nothing to avert it, but rather act so as to intensify it. They refuse to challenge the policies, positions and attitudes of the UK government that have given rise to the Protocol or to call on the UK to take action to facilitate agreement on measures to alleviate or remove the protocol; instead they seek to inflame community tensions (and so risk the peace settlement) by presenting the UK's position and actions as having been dictated by the EU, IRL or by Irish republicans. They point to the risk to the peace settlement as something emanating from the EU/IRLm when in fact it is in fact emanating from the UK government. They not only fail to call for the UK to make the shift it needs to make; they actively and vocally support the UK in the positions that led to the Protocol.

They do this because they are scared to confront, or even to acknowledge, unionism's serious internal weakness, which is (to put it simply) that GB doesn't value the union between GB and NI.

In many ways you can see this as paralleling David Cameron's decision to try and deal with internal splits in the Tory party by jeopardising his country's interests in the EU. Certain Unionists are trying to paper over the internal contradiction in unionism by sacrificing NI's interests and risking the peace settlement. By not confronting the UK's role in this they make themselves complicit in it. It is shameful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Kate Hoey on Newsnight (unchallenged when she spoofed that the majority in NI opposed the protocol) last night proves your theory Peregrinus. She attempted to vindicate Johnson, not criticise him, by claiming he 'didn't think the EU would seek to implement the Protocol as agreed'.

It beggars belief that there are people rallying around The DUP, the Habibs, Johnsons and Hoeys who have done nothing but lie to them from the get go.

I appreciate that you are taking a different view on unionists saying there could be violence here if a hard border is created in the Irish. You are being much less hypocritical than many on here on that subject.

what do you think of sf and SDLP refusing to meet with the other parties today?

Post edited by downcow on

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Either invite all the party leaders, or exclude all those who are not MLAs (Donaldson, Eastwood, McDonald).

Don't bibble nonsense as to why they only invited two of those, as the UK Government has

(and this is from someone who has absolutely no time for McDonald)

Nonsense. It was a meeting held by the British government to update British parties on their negotiations the EU. I would/will be ludicrous to have an opposition mp from an EU country present.

that aside the reason was (ironically) was due to protocols.

protocol (a different one) says that a British minister cannot officially meet a leader of the opposition of a foreign state prior to meeting the leader of the government of that state.

surely you would be consistent and not be wanting a protocol ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

"Protocol" in this case means stuffy domestic rules (probably unwritten), not an agreed document, so your comparison is the only nonsense here.

If they wanted to obey their stuffy nonsense, no Donaldson and no Eastwood was the answer.

Not one of the parties in question actually seeks votes in Britain, as an aside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

protocol (a different one) says that a British minister cannot officially meet a leader of the opposition of a foreign state prior to meeting the leader of the government of that state.

Actually you are not correct.

Protocol means that a British minister cannot officially meet a opposition politician from a foreign state prior to meeting their counterpart from that state.

The Foreign Secretary needed to meet The Minister for Foreign Affairs before he could meet McDonald.

There is no obligation to meet Leo first, as is your implication.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Beep. Beep. Here comes the shítbus to dump all over Jeffrey again. The Mary Lou stuff today was just a useful distraction. Usual frothing at the mouth from Bryson and Co already. Tomorrow should be interesting.

Since you ask . . .

I think it's a strikingly stupid move by the UK government. The "diplomatic protocol' explanation they offer is deeply unconvincing, and I suspect was cobbled together in a panic after the thing started to attract attention.

SF should, however, go to the meeting, in which event the SDLP would go too.

The whole thing is handbags at ten paces. Nobody comes out of it with much credit, but I'd apportion the bulk of the blame to the UK government for making this stupid mistake and for not correcting it immediately it became obvious that it was a stupid mistake.

What’s most interesting is that it is clear evidence again that SF leadership (I think we know who they are) have no confidence in the ability of their northern figurehead.

Meh. I think you're drawing a very long bow there. Other interpretations are possible. Such as, SF object to the UK government dictating, or attempting to dictate, who will represent SF.

If there were a functioning executive, Michelle O'Neill would be First Minister. That's a position SF would obviously be very happy for her to hold, and it carries very much more executive authority, and would attract very much more public attention, than the role of SF representative at a meeting with James Cleverly. As I understand it, it's a briefing meeting, for the exchange of information; no decisions will be taken. It's absurd to suggest that they trust her to represent SF and its NI leader and as First Minister of NI, but they don't trust her to represent SF at a one-off briefing.

You have to ask were the Unionists hoodwinked again? Was the snubbing of MLMD a smokescreen to avoid this being the story of the day. A bit like Boris, when he came over, throwing them the biscuit of there never being a border in the Irish Sea to distract from the fact he was gonna do exactly that,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Please acknowledge that for a good while now you've claimed in multiple threads including now this one that what Leo Varadkar was doing was threatening violence if a hard border was returned to. Nobody has misunderstood you at any point on this matter and you've been called out repeatedly for making what was an absurd conclusion to a perfectly correct observation by Varadkar.

If your finally back tracking and willing to admit you were wrong then do it properly instead of trying to simply rug sweep such a ridiculous argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

I think that is exactly what happened, a well timed distraction piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I wonder what Michelle thinks? She's more than capable of representing SF without Mary Lou holding her hand.

Given previous speculation as to who exactly makes decisions in SF, it doesn't look well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

MLMD is the SF Party Leader, it’s an all-Island party.

MON knows this.

Listening to MLMD this morning on the radio, she made some good points about standard procedure, these briefings aren’t a new thing.

• Advertisement

I would imagine the 'party leader' (And MLMD is registered as PL north and south) would make the decisions.

It'd be kinda worrying if the party leader of SF makes all the decisions? But regardless, unless I'm wrong Michelle O'Neill is leader of the party up north and is very capable of representing the party.

MLMD is the registered leader of the party, north and south.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Im no fan of MLMD or SF but this is just childish pettiness and exactly what id expect from someone as arrogantly twattish as james cleverly. She should have been invited there's no reasonable reason not to bar making some stupid kind of petty point and trying to get the DUP on side.

You could be right Francie, going by the sinn fein website - she's just an ordinary MLA essentially.

But ask anyone reasonably interested in politics in NI and they'd observe that she's seen & heard very regularly as the on the ground leader of SF in NI and was put in that position back in 2017. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-38715524

So either she is the leader of SF up north or there's some sort of three card trick at play? Maybe she's leader up north when it suits and not when it suits? All very confusing.

MLMD has attended as 'party leader' before, there is no precedent being set. MoN is Vice President of the party and leader in the Assembly which is not sitting at the moment. It's not that hard to understand.

I don’t think he was threatening he would be violent. He was reminding everyone that republicans would be violent if the Irish didn’t get their way. A bit like how Paisley used to operate.

i honestly can’t believe that some of you think that he believes he had some insight into the republican threat that no one else had and so his sole intent was to be very charitable with the info.

that is what you think, isn’t it?

I know we are watching different news, and you guys will be getting a bigger insight into the Irish/republican position but tell me this:

what does Leo mean when he said again today that the protocol was implemented to strictly? I am baffled because the protocol is current protocol super-light. Grace periods galore and practically none of the checks we have been told by eu would be necessary.

so what’s the story? The way he’s talking he would be joining with me to vote DUP at the next election. Is he in the same page as most southerners?

I can’t believe what I’m hearing from mary Lou. she says that no one can decide who represents sf at meetings.

you really couldn’t make it up, from the party and person who brought down stormont and said they were not going back until DUP changed their leader in stormont. 3 years of ‘you must remove Arlene or we will sulk’

• Advertisement

Yes we are all confused about who runs sf in the north.

as Donaldson asked today, if mary Lou becomes pm in south, who is in charge in stormont. Is is O’Neill or is it the Irish government?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement