Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

So when I say "maniac" you equate that with "right wing". Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Cordell

I don't know why you felt that I was referring to you but no, that's not true. I equate right wing with things like personal freedom and responsibility, meritocracy, honesty and capitalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

Pretty sure that the posts those people are referring to have nothing to do with any of the pieces you mentioned. And if you are not referring to Penn or timetogo then your post makes no sense as you would need to explain what "That" in "That's fine" meant from your previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭prosaic

From Musk today "New UI coming this week allowing easy switch between recommended & followed. Recommendations will get much better later this year."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

"Honesty".

Brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Cordell

Yeah, like saying what you really think even if that might cause offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Yes, he did state it would be worse for adult networking sites to deny teenagers access. I provided the exact quote from his PhD thesis earlier. You're entitled to your own opinion, but not to your own facts.

I'm honestly bemused at this stage as to why you're so defensive about this. No sensible person thinks allowing children on a adult networking site is a good idea. Absolutely not for the children. And not for the adults either. So adult platforms have to always work to ensure children don't have access. Anyone who thinks differently - like this guy who used to head up T&S at Twitter - is not the right guy for the job of combatting CSAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Has there been a reversal? Twitter is still selling the Twitter Blue subscription, and while "legacy" checks are still honoured, my understanding is Musk is committed to revoking those in future if they don't sign up to Twitter Blue. I'm not seeing a great sea change brought about by the blue check mark brigades rushing to the barricades.

I'm not sure Musk is a hypocrite. He promised free speech, and people do have free speech on Twitter. But freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences.

As for predictions - look, the only prediction I'm making is that Musk is a fool and despite somehow getting control of the public square ("I'm moving to Mastadon" seems to be the new "I'm moving to Canada") he won't take proper advantage of it. So I think the doom and gloom is hysterically overstated. If I recall correctly, there was predictions back in November claiming that Twitter would collapse within a few weeks. Here we are in 2023 and it's still up last I checked.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

as i understand it, he wants to make twitter into an overall positive contribution to society

He used Twitter to call one of the divers involved in rescuing the Thai kids a paedophile cause the guy had the temerity to tell him his stupid technology idea wouldn't work.

He doesn't give a shite about making Twitter an overall positive for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,976 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I don't know what kind of circles you're hanging around in that leads you think you can get away with lies like this, but facts aren't with you here.

He said, and I quote "Rather than merely trying to absolve themselves *OR, WORSE, trying to drive out teenagers entirely*, service providers should instead focus on crafting safety strategies that can accommodate a wide variety of use cases for platforms like Grindr"

He didn't say it was worse for sites to deny teenagers access. He said "Rather than merely trying to absolve themselves or, worse, trying to drive out teenagers entirely, service providers should instead focus on crafting safety strategies that can accommodate a wide variety of use cases for platforms like Grindr. He knows, as everyone who's spent ten minutes on this topic knows, that there is no age identification system on the system. He knows that focusing on denying access is a fools errand, therefore he highlights the importance of contingency measures, rather than putting all their eggs in one basket - where it isn't going to work.

You can't just pick the words that suit you out of a sentence and quote them with no context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I thought that the site was meant to have collapsed by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm not sure I agree with a "Grindr Youth" app at all, in that I'm not convinced there is any reason for 'queer youth' to be able to contact other 'queer youth', who are strangers to them. What would stop adults using the youth app just like you can't stop the youth using the adult app. It is really up to parents to prevent their sons and daughters using adult dating sites to keep them away from predators or inappropriate situations.

I'm minded of a case in the UK where a 14yo was murdered by another teenagers who he met online.

https://news.sky.com/story/my-son-was-murdered-by-a-teenager-he-met-online-through-gaming-11931414

So yeah, facilitating youth to connect with other youth is not something I think we should sanction, rather prevent it as far as possible, particularly when there's a sexuality element to it.

Well, that should cover the rent money for one day maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

The entire thing had to be reversed and redone because it caused such a mess. The entire site was just a mess of trolls for a few days as anyone could have predicted. This change was reversed and then an entirely new system had to be created.

By those rules people always had free speech on twitter and so Musk could not have brought free speech to twitter which is what his supporters wanted. This has now come full circle to where people say that twitter always had free speech so it makes his achievements here a little pathetic. He did also say he wanted his detractors to stay on twitter so still hypocritical since he is actively removing them.

There were but I am only responsible for my own posts as you say. Musk has enough money to keep twitter going for a long time if needs be which is how I have always felt. As for doom and gloom, I have not seen much in that regard. I have pointed out his hypocrisy and his idiocy and twitter became a worse place that will highlight alt right views but that is hardly doom and gloom compared to the world at large. Unless you just mean the twitter collapses stuff in which case I agree it is overstated but I don't think twitter disappearing from the world counts as doom and gloom personally.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I don't know that Musk does have "enough money to keep Twitter going for a long time" anymore.

Musk doesn't actually have a lot of readily available money - Any "cash" that he has is from loans using his Tesla stock as collateral.

He is limited by Tesla corporate rules to only being able to borrow 25% of the value his Tesla stock - Not definitive on the 25% number , but it's in and around that.

With the collapse in the Tesla Stock price , his available "cash" is very significantly reduced and he has also committed to not sell any more Tesla shares.

So his ability to continue to eat the massive losses in Twitter definitely has a timeline that is not measured in years or decades.

He’s really sticking it to the libs

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That's the 3rd Office where non payment of Rent has become a problem I think?

Also there are reports that he's now encouraging WFH - something that he was vehemently against up to very recently, to save money.

There is absolutely a clock on how much longer this can continue.

EDIT -

Article covering the Singapore Office issues

Workers at Twitter Inc.’s Singapore office were told to empty out their desks and vacate the premises, said people familiar with the situation, as Elon Musk continues to pare expenses around the globe.

Twitter staff were informed via email Wednesday that they had until 5 p.m. to leave the CapitaGreen building and resume their duties remotely from Thursday, one of the people said, asking not to be named discussing private information. Singapore-based staffers have now been reassigned as remote workers in Twitter’s internal system until further notice, the person added.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

The new two timeline structure is brutal. People you follow on one, and people of interest on the other, which has people like Ben Gilroy, The Liberal (of absolutely no interest)etc plus people you follow. Very messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,137 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I hate that's it's not latest tweets anymore.

Think they tried this before.

This needs to be reversed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭francois

You can change it easily enough, click on the large and small star top right hand corner of the app and switch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Cody montana

It’s not on my iPhone anymore.

Might try it via laptop.

Given what’s going on, it won’t be long before they stop paying cloud / hosting or telecoms providers or essential infrastructure providers on time…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Could be a way to get around employment laws. Lost the job as they have no place to actually work through "ahem" unforeseen circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If I was in charge of accounts at any of the above I'd be taking a very keen interest in Twitter's billing status.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Seems Twitter has either got a technical glitch or has closed the APIs that allow 3rd party apps like Tweetbot etc to communicate with it.

No explanation so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,560 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

BS, it's a significant sign of cash flow issues. Everything thing points to this. He has dropped advertising revenue, he has not successfully put in place another other revenue streams.

In any company you take over which is loss making or you load with debt the first thing you make sure of is to protect existing revenue streams. We point this out at the start.

If he is fails to pay his power or telecoms bills he shuts down all revenue streams so I imagine he has to keep them paid.

However other indications he is in trouble is the thing like day to day sanitary issues in the buildings such as no toilet paper.

The real problem will be when the first bank payment becomes due or if there is revenue/profit targets to be met for the banks.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Very surprised none of his fans have leapt forward to defend this as just great business.

Twitter is now facilitating bottom of the barrel scammers. PTSB didn’t exist at the times these lads claim it was defrauding depositors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭francois

Advertisement