Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

Mine looks like this, new build terraced house, no easy way back to the fusebox so the installer wired to the meter. Happy enough with how it turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

do new build not need to be prewired these days ?

Mine wasn't anyway and the house is 6 months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

Lots of breaches of regulations there

no isolator

no surge protection

no main switch for distribution board

no main switch for house distribution board

no blank plate leaving open access to connections

should be a key to prevent access

this enclosure should be at least a 7 module enclosure

that’s the reason they are no longer permitted inside the meter cabinet as they are too big and esbn require the space for their own equipment

would you mind posting a photo of inside the meter box

did he also put a sticker on your consumer unit in the house

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Hi all, I'm doing a renovation/extension at the moment.

I've got a VW ID3 and another ICE, I expect to keep that for at least a couple of years before looking at changing.

My electrician will fit the unit and do the various other work.

Any recommendations on a unit?

• Advertisement

Was compliant at the time from SAFE electric according to the installation company. Regs kept changing around the week I was getting it fitted.

There are some components in the meter cabinet too.

Was signed off and accepted by SEAI. Not that that means much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

SEAI don't sign off on anything, that's the electrician's job. When did you get it done? Any chance of a pic of inside the meter box?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭horse7

Have done so thanks,. I've just realised that the grant seems only for smart chargers, please tell me I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭josip

If he did post a picture of the inside of his meter box, what would be to stop someone on Boards from reporting Yer Man's installation to ESBN for perceived breaches using the meter serial number to identify him?

What has been done there was never compliant either before or after reg changes

can you post a photo of inside your meter cabinet.

it would be beneficial to see exactly how the connections are made

you can cover the meter number if you are concerned about identifying the installation (although there’s no way we can)

only you can report this to safe electric if that’s a concern

if another rec calls to your house in the future (on unrelated matters)then it’s possible they will issue a notice of potential hazard

you really should get this addressed by the installation company before it is too late to get them back

if you doubt anything I’ve said then post in the electrical forum so not to derail this thread

• Advertisement

Only the householder can report this as safe electric will Need access for testing and inspection

Don't know the answer. We got approval for Other-Other back in December and that option is still on the website. Despite some Facebook posts claiming it would be removed in 2023, thus restricting the types of chargers that could avail of the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Well anything is possible with enough time and money, including flatting the house and rebuilding it from the ground up. Back in 2021 this was the guidance and loads of people have installed just like it. That said the install does look dodgy for reasons other than the positioning.

Yeah that was their guidance then. Since march 2022 that’s not permitted though.

Even if this installation was done before then it doesn’t comply to the requirements you have linked (as you also pointed out)

Honestly the installation looks dangerous though. I wouldn't pay them as I'd imagine the safety cert is a work of fiction. Positioning is a distraction. If the poster ever went to sell the house this would require remedial work and it would be too late then to get the vendor back.

What model did you get, have you installed yet and been paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Core6

It only covers smart chargers.

This is from the SEAI website:-

From September 2022 the EV Home Charger Grant Scheme will only support smart chargers registered on Triple E

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Does the EV Charger need to go back to the breaker box or can the installer install it directly from the meter box?

Good question, will attract a lot of answers

• Advertisement

Yeah, surprised nobody has already answered that particular question on the thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I'm not sure, do they? Perhaps it's something only required for new planning authorisations, those would take a while to filter through to new builds coming onto the market? I'd be curious to know if someone has an answer either way.

Also, I know some people would find it handier to have it wired directly to the meter cabinet - but for those of us with solar PV panels I would imagine it needs to be integrated with the fuse board to take advantage of them? That's especially important if you're looking to install batteries for the solar PV panels long term. Or am I wrong?

It's been there a while and recently they have gone further to state an EV charger must be installed on all new homes, not just wired. Not sure when that comes into affect though as it was announced late last year.

It doesn't matter where your charger is, all that matters is if the solar inverter can see the full property load including the charger or not. Not sure I follow the point regarding batteries.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Wiring is plenty enough, there are still folk alive in Ireland that don't have a car!!!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sammy96

Got a quote for 1900 for an installation from a major installer.

Zero wiring needed as I have it all pre done by electrician as I retro fitted my house.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I was assuming if installed from the meter then the solar inverter could not detect the full property load, which I'm guessing I was wrong to assume.

I see your point regarding batteries now. This is the set up I have where the inverter cannot see the the charger. As my inverter required a hard wired ct clamp and there was no way to get it to the meter box. For solar it makes no difference as the charger can see what is excess and match charging to it. The issue is with batteries if you may want to power the car as opposed to fill the battery, minor inconvenience tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

If just charger and installer thats incredibly expensive. He selling you a charger or a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Anyone got any idea of what this charger allows the car to draw at? I would have assumed 3kW, but my recently installed CT clamp tells me it's pulling just under 5kW for the duration of the charge (reduces a bit when the car gets to 90ish % though). I got it for free 8 years ago when I first got an EV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Hi

We're applying for an ESB connection for a new one-off build and one of the questions on the connection form is what is the Max Import Capacity Required? 12kVA (Max Standard), 16kVA (Max Enhanced), 20kVA or 29kVA are the options.

We're installing a heat pump and the house be wired for an EV charger as per the regs but we won't be installing one straight away. If budget allows, we'll install some panels but not sure on that yet (I don't think the panels will impact this but just mentioning it in case).

Which of these options should we go with to allow us the option to have an EV and / or panels in the future? Or does it even matter from either of those points of view

Advertisement