Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

OK, since you criticise other people for lack of explanation, what exactly is the problem with Queens accepting the NFQ? There is already a mapping all its qualifications into the NFQ, they have lots of applicants with Leaving Certs already. Non issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

What always causes me concern is the divide which is definitely there between those who push for a UI and those who urge caution.

To me the most ardent ‘Super Republicans’ appear to be those who have the least to lose.

Very little will change for them.

Those who urge caution and can see the big picture on the huge problems a UI would uncover in security, commerce, pensions, administration and many more.

These ‘Super Republicans’ have only the goal of a UI in their sights ,it would appear ,and shure it will be all ‘grand’ and hunky dory when it happens.

Lets not be railroaded into this situation by the cartel of driven folk who can’t see the big picture only their own occluded outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The issues with Peace Walls and bonfires have diminished inordinately since the Anglo Irish Agreement and the pursuit of equality and parity of esteem.

There are those on the island whose preference is to ignore these issues and to throw their hands in the air in frustration.

Personally I believe that these issues (on both sides) can be further tackled through education and the eradication of poverty and deprivation. (Just look at the circumstances in the problem areas0.

It won't fully eradicate the problems of sectarianism but it will go a long way to minimising them. We have seen the difficulty belligerent loyalism/Unionism has bringing people onto the streets to be violent or sustaining any violence that could destabilise.

And I will say it again, the last thing the UK will want on hand over is a destabilised province dragging them in again, they will be the most up for ensuring the transition has little to no bounce back for them. It will therefore be as much an 'investment' for them as it will be for an Irish government. All the stakeholders will sell it as an 'investment' in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

Problem is nobody is "selling" it and as a consequence the majority are not interested and no progress is being made. There is no pressure from the electorate on any party to further this issue.

The difficulty SF will have is getting some momentum on the issue while tackling the issues people really care about. It will be a slow process and progress will stall with a change in government.

Massive tactical error by SF. If they had some prep work done they really had a chance of achieving a UI when a hard Brexit was a real possibility.

That is incorrect. There have been a series of Future Ireland events which will continue.

The 'problem' is the FF/FG alliance is trying desperately to stall any momentum. Will they succeed? I don't think so. If Unionism gets it way on the Protocol or if they continue to act undemocratically more and more are going to want the conversation to begin and a plan/proposal formulated. That will include Britain, who are headed there anyway IMO.

Talk to me about polling when that happens. It will only be relevant then.

• Advertisement

The Ireland's Future were a bit of a damp squib though and pure fluff really. Hasn't led to any momentum whatsoever which is hardly surprising given the lack of substance to it .

Are they planning on having more? Will be interesting to see if it catches the attention of the public unlike last years events.

Not surprised you diminish it really. It's to be expected, Unionists Lundy anyone taking part, partitionists/anti UIers try to ignore or diminish it.

Still wrong to say that 'nobody is selling it'.

Fair enough probably fairer to say nobody is doing a good job of selling it to the public either in Ireland or NI.

Also, Ireland's Future shouldn't be beyond reproach otherwise the movement won't evolve.

The current echo chamber approach hasn't worked with it's fluff pieces involving celebrities and it hasn't caught the public attention. Maybe if they evolve it to something more substantial it might gain more traction. But continuing as they are will achieve nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Where to start?

It took the guts of ten years to put together our own NFQ and bring all Irish institutions under its wing. There were arguments and difficulties over the position of the then institutes of technology for example. Negotiating the GFA was arguably easier than any agreement over quality assurance in higher education. You can be certain that Queens will come to the table with a position that the NFQ needs to change to adjust to them and then the fun begins.

Damp squib is being generous.

If the geniuses behind Ireland's Future were to instead actively engage with MM's Shared Island Initiative, we might get somewhere.

• Advertisement

You chose to ignore it...didn't even mention it and claimed nobody was doing anything. That's on you.

You cannot force people to take part in these discussions and IF had a good cross section of people giving their views which was far from an echo chamber. The selective Shared Island initiative however did try to create an exclusive echo chamber. What the government party that set it up got in return was threats and intimidation from those who are pretending to be democrats. The other main party of government had their initiative (applauding the DUP at their annual conference) thrown back in their faces too with Varadkar and Coveney the subject of threats.

Let's see if they will bother this year. Nothing as of yet on the website.

Maybe we'll get Dustin and Biddy from Glenroe this year!

You are right, i was wrong. No political party has done anything to sell a United Ireland. Ireland's Future are currently the only group making an attempt but are not affiliated to any party.

I'm sure they'll have no problem getting donations but last year was a big undertaking, will be interesting to see the scale of this year's attempt.

Now you need to reseasrch the many many public meetings SF have organised north and south and online, AFAIK they have been heavily attended too

Your ignorance oif what is happening on the ground is revealing tbh. Not bothered what you think of these events (I can guess) but you are wholly and abjectly wrong on the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I doubt if anyone will bother researching that.

The bottom line is it’s way too early and conditions and attitudes on all sides are in no way ready for this .

The polls show that very few other than those with nothing to lose would contemplate a UI anytime soon.

S.F have put this ideal front and centre and with the aid of a band of so called ‘super republicans, are pushing this agenda with some might say, reckless abandon .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

If they have a case that it should be changed, then that case can be examined and it can be changed as required. Such things are not urgent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Any meetings SF are having are not worth the rental in the rooms they are in.

Put 1000 Shinners in the one room and all you get is handclapping and people muttering " tíocfaidh Ar Lá " under their breath , followed by pint swilling and shight talk.

None in attendance have a bogs iota about what it is going to cost, at all.

How many of those fundraisers ( they are nothing else ) are being attended by SDLP, Alliance or any form of Unionist? Are any even invited?

Nobody I have seen yet has a definite idea of the cost, if there is to be one, when all is added and subtracted. Every estimate has been disputed and questioned and looked at from differing angles. I am quite happy that there may never be a quantifiable 'cost' or indeed 'benefit'.

Can you point to any evidence you have that these public meetings that SF have been holding for some time are 'fundraisers'? I don't think you'll be able to.

The fact is, the poster was wrong again to say what they did, regardless of what you or he thinks of these meetings.

I would presume there is a half time roll out of finger bites and refreshments supplied by whatever Hotel is hosting?

Denying fundraising is only highlighting denial of any that is going on? Politics is 90% fundraising, 9 % shight talk and 1% actual meaningful change.

Nothing Else to see here.

Are other motivations even invited?

• Advertisement

So here we have another poster making claims they cannot back up.

The claim was no political party was doing anything about a UI - it was wrong. Trying to shift the goalposts and ask about who was invited won't wash tbh.

I think the claim is that what SF are doing is setting back the case for unification and damaging the process.

The claim:

No political party has done anything to sell a United Ireland.

You are quite entitled to your view of these public meetings.

What you are not entitled to is a distortion of the facts.

If a political party is doing their best to widen divisions, then they are doing the opposite of selling a united Ireland, that is a fact.

If you are putting forward a claim that SF are doing something to sell a united Ireland, that is only your opinion, until you can show some factual evidence that it is working.

If you put 1000 Celtic fans in a room.....

If you put 1000 Lazio fans in a room.....

If you put 1000 Shinners in a circle and tell them that fundraising is only allowed in the corner....

The claim was made that 'no political party was doing anything to sell a UI Ireland'.

The fact is that SF are doing just that at a series of public meetings.

That you think that is 'divisive' is between you and your supposed support for the GFA.

No, let's be clear, Sinn Fein are organising meetings to discuss a united Ireland among the converted, that is a fact. Whether or not that is doing anything to sell a united Ireland is a matter of opinion. Most opinions on here seem to believe that the actions of Sinn Fein are hindering a united Ireland, a view that is widely shared among political commentators and the general public.

FACT: Sinn Fein are organising meetings.

OPINION: Sinn Fein are/are not (delete as appropriate) doing something to sell a United Ireland.

I think we can leave it there as opinions will differ. Attempting on either side to turn opinions into fact will fail.

Correct.

You are entitled to your opinion.

You are not entitled (as the poster I corrected felt he was) to alter the facts.

Well, let's be clear, and to paraphrase, it was your posts that claimed as a fact that SF were selling a united Ireland.

It is now accepted that is merely an opinion, and given that you are constantly calling on the government to take initiatives, I believe you secretly share the opposite opinion, that SF actions are harming the cause of a united Ireland.

• Advertisement

It wasn't a 'claim'. I posted facts.

The poster made a 'claim' and that claim was wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement