Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian warship, go f**k yourself!

Options

Comments

Without German Government consent, the Leopards are going nowhere. It was the first thing I looked for when I saw the story. One tank type would be better, rather than ten Challengers, X Leopards, and X Abrams. They're all good and great, but logistics. It's a sick game costing Ukrainian lives daily. All of this, fighter jets, long range missiles, tanks, etc. should have been signed, sealed and delivered months ago. The case for russian defeat has been made a thousand times over already. They can't be defeated enough or humiliated enough imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

Does anyone see how the war will end , military wise russia are a world power, they have weapons that hopefully won't be used . I beginning to feel sanctions are our best weapon in the long run , low oil prices will help but there's plenty of countries that like higher oil prices including US oil producers. Usually conflicts end with one side defeated and looking for peace, hard to see this happening any time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Very difficult one to call. The Russian regime is essentially a dictatorship, which means they don't have to worry too much about public opinion, the press, opposition and all that. The flipside is that they are still impacted by the loss of Russian lives, by the damage to the economy, by the damage to their key income revenue (oil/gas), by war weariness.

Putin will try to protract the conflict as long as possible, hoping that Ukraine's supporters will run out of patience, hoping that reality will force Ukr to the table to "give" him territory (his goal was to take the whole country but it's obvious he'll settle for what they have now)

Ukr is v aware of this and will try to launch offensives, daring attacks, etc to keep the conflict fresh with the public, to keep the optics, to keep getting support and hoping that the Russian military (who are already scraping the bottom of the barrel) will somehow snap or go into a faster decline.

It's a battle of patience, economies, logistics, stomach for the war now. How long that goes on, no one has any idea. In the medium term I think Russia has a lot of cards, but in the long term I don't fancy their military holding up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

Maybe if a focal point / person emerged, someone who people could rally around, then yes, I believe that the Russian people would revolt. Problem is, anything / anyone that even remotely looks like opposition is promptly jailed, fall's out of windows, is involved in a fatal road accident, is novichoked or suffers any one of several other unfortunate "accidents".

The opposition to Putin is either (A) Dead, (B) in Prison or (C) living far from Russia. So, no focal point , no revolution. Maybe, just maybe, this next ( we are told) mobilization of an additional 700'000 conscripts might just be the straw to break the camels back. In all the Country's you mentioned, there was the possibility and more important, the will to form an opposition, even an underground one. In Iran presently you have a revolution in progress started by women. It does not have any recognized leadership or form, but its ranks are swelling daily, and protesters number in their hundreds of thousands, despite being shot at, arrested and sentenced to death. Also its activities, with strikes, blockading roads with slow moving traffic, are bringing citys to a standstill and general civil disobedience making the Country ungovernable. This marks the beginning of the end for the Ayatollah and his Mullahs. When Russian women tried protesting, police visited their homes and took away their menfolk for Ukraine. End of that form of protest. Russians do not willingly choose to become fertilizer in Ukrainian fields. Who in their right minds would? But Putin's Russia is like a modern automatic production line.....the raw materials ( manpower ) is fed in at one end, and emerges at the other end as the finished product, an ORC. In this process they have no choice. No more than you would if the police / military came banging at your door at 06:00 hrs on a Sunday morning and told you to pack your bags, you are in the army now. I know cases where they have done this by the way, or at a checkpoint removing male passengers, or even on the street's where they would have a prison van, complete with barred windows parked discreetly while they checked the documents or military age ( or not) men. So much for choice.

It will take some event like what happened in Iran to trigger a mass mobilization of Russians, thousands and thousands of them marching on the Kremlin, blocking the streets so that Putins thugs are powerless to stop them. But there are glimpses of opposition showing through Putins oppression. These are the increasing Nr of explosive attacks in Russia itself,,,,mysterious fires in supermarkets, and other places, railway lines being sabotaged, recruitment offices being attacked. The next 6 mths will tell a lot.

For arguments sake Dohnjoe, ( is there any other kind LOL ? ) Say that there is a deal done whereby Putin gets his annexed new Russian areas. Then what?? He will have to keep an army there full time to hold them, they will become his very own Vietnam / Afghanistan all over again, only much worse.. I do not know how it will end either, but personally, I can't see the Ukrainians giving an inch to Putin.

• Advertisement

This is a contradiction in the theory:

"Maybe if a focal point / person emerged, someone who people could rally around, then yes, I believe that the Russian people would revolt."

"In Iran presently you have a revolution in progress started by women. It does not have any recognized leadership or form, but its ranks are swelling daily, and protesters number in their hundreds of thousands, despite being shot at, arrested and sentenced to death"

It's a different version of we can't escalate because russia. A free pass to do as they will, because russia. While Iran is different because it's not russia. I'm not having a crack at you, but the thinking needs rethinking. They are all people, and they do have choices, I'll repeat that above (and way back since the beginning of the war) I never said they were good choices. We have seen some reports of factions withing the russian rabble turning their guns on each other, usually down to no honour among thieves, yet genocide is grand.

Iran has very different reasons for unrest , half the population is totally oppressed, the other half don't know that they're also oppressed by the regime and it was the totally oppressed half that started the demonstrations . Putin mobilised from far flung places to keep the people of Moscow, St petersburg etc off the streets. Any protesters arrested are apparently drafted, a brilliant way to keep protesters at home. Maybe, sanctions will bring hunger to Russia. In the past its been a catalyst for hanging the leader

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Russian oil is currently trading at circa 35 dollars a barrel basically break-even price , Gazprom exports have halved in 2022 and prices are back to pre war levels present day so high priced gas can't cushion the decrease in volume, 23 billion dollar deficit for 22 in a record breaking year for oil and gas prices...

Once the hard cash dries up to keep the war machine humming you'd imagen the general population out of desperation more than having a sudden moral enlightenment will push back

Don't forget the aul corruption, half that 35$ probably never makes it to the exchequer. Just ask Putin , went to war only to find out someone had robbed half the equipment

The reason the revolution is working in Iran is that after many years ( since 1979) Iranians have been suffering under several different Religious dictatorships. But finally they have had enough, and one single incident , the death of a young woman because she was wearing her scarf incorrectly, broke the logjam.

Now we await the log jam breaking incident in Russia for change to come about, and give Russians real choices.

Or do you have any suggestions as to how change in Russia might come about?

• Advertisement

I'm not sure I do see russia changing. A change wasn't so much my direction of travel. But giving russians a free pass on it because it's russia. The mindset is the root cause, the dictatorship and the war, symptoms.

What I would like to see is the break up of the russian federation. There may at least be less of them, with less resources, to fight the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭ginger22

And who will have control of the nukes

No one want's nuclear war, there would be an international agreement. The same happened at the break up of the soviet union. Only the hair on fire brigade think the real world is The Sum of All Fears. Besides, I'm sure there's lots more nasties hanging around the russian federation than just nuclear weapons.

I don't understand your statement, "Giving Russia a free pass because it's Russia". I guess you mean that if you are born in Russia, and grow up within the system, that's it? You automatically get a free pass because of being Russian automatically. how does this work in actual life? The free pass part I mean?

As for what happens in a post Putin world, that's the million dollar question, and to make it even more complicated, you have the infamous Nukes to think about. Already in the background you have the military and the oligarchs jostling for position. This is exemplified by Putin's recent re-shuffling of the top military, (primarily for his own protection and security). Scary to think that Putin could be replaced with some one even worse and more hardline than himself.

But say that Russia will be in dire economic straights ( as it will be) after Putins departure, with famine threatening the population, causing unrest and demands for elections throughout all the Republics. And they are duly held, and a new government emerges. So the World ( EU, UK, US , World Bank etc) offers help, but only if verifiable reforms are carried out, and all Nuclear Weapons are destroyed. Would be the ideal solution, but most likely wishful thinking.

Could also be what you suggest as the ideal solution...complete break up of Russia into its constituent Republics. If this happens, there will be many mini-wars as different ethnic groups fight for dominance in their own areas, from tensions that always existed but were kept in check by the Kremlin.

We will see how it goes in 2023. Its early days yet.

The commentary I'm seeing, not just here, is stuff like russians will be arrested, intimidated, sent to Ukraine etc. for what is essentially something only to be blamed on mr putrid. So the conclusions drawn are that the russian people have no choice, no say in their country, that they are victims. Purely because we see, or perceive, that russia is ran a certain way.

My argument is there have been many, many shitholes around the globe ran by unpleasant regimes who's people were brave enough to rise up in the face of immense personal risk and topple those regimes. People have been murdered/killed all around the globe doing what we're told the russians cannot do. I say they will not. Not that they cannot. It's not putrid raping, maiming, and murdering, it's russians carrying out his will. How many coffins have gone back home and we're to believe they don't know? So what's the difference if a bunch of mobiks are handed rifles and they turn them on their officers or OMON troops as opposed to being turned to mush by artillery, drone grenades, himars etc.

It's somewhat, in my mind at least, similar to the we can't escalate because russia (has nukes! - everyone drink). While Ukraine is busy punching them in the face, flying helicopters to bomb belgorod, and sinking russian capital ships, and bombing strategic bomber airbases. It's a Western mindset failure, like how the West failed to heed the warnings from Central and European nations regarding russia. This conflict needed leaders able to practice brinkmanship, because red lines set by russia have all been proven bullshit. All they're really good at is murdering civilians.

I'll hazard a wild guess most new states have had some strife with neighbours at the start. Besides russia likes conflicts, frozen (neighbours) and hot (Ukraine, Africa) so it's not like it'll be new. They'll have to learn to get on eventually. Change is one of the constants in the world, look to history and how many enemies are now allies.

There's thousands of Russians who thought exactly like your saying, there either dead , in hiding or prison and won't see the light of day for many years. That's how a dictatorship works . Saw a programme recently which said Putin has 40000 police/ army members, all paid extra to ensure he stays in power . Most Russians are not feeling the effects of sanctions yet , but when more and more funds gets diverted to army coffers, then they'll start feeling the effects . And not wanting to dismay you further, I'd expect there will be no final settlement until Most sanctions are lifted. My other fear is when it near over , Putin will step down and a new face with a desire for " world peace " will put in the Kremlin to rebuild relations

What you're explaining to me is no different to many other dictatorships. The mafia at the top exert control and they rape the capital of the nation using some money to pay lackeys to protect them. They fall. I'm not in the slightest bit dismayed at the russian people, I'm condemning them for their choice to go along with the genocide. Really if they wish to die in their war the only sadness I'll feel is how many Ukrainian lives will be lost in killing these russians. The bottomless stupidity of dying for putrids mafia in preference of avoiding the risk of dying trying to overthrow him.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭gk5000

Yes, but unfortunately some or many Russians also seems to believe the hype - that the west is out to get them....and of course Putin and the mob capitalise and play on this nationalism, and the people's desire for a strong Russia.

Many/most Irish have a (irrational?) reluctance to inform - say on a neighhbour or local wrongdoing; and we knowingly elect corrupt "local" and even national polititians.

Russia may need to be humbled to the point of Germany/Japan after WW2 before they understand - and the West needs "Bass Reves / Don Corelone"'s dark side ( https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120100860/#Comment_120100860). That said there's no need to invade but we should give Ukraine everything they need and more to send the Russians running home.

So as you see it, regardless of Putins repression and police / mafia state, Russians should be able to rise up and overthrow him, because other repressive regimes have done so. OK. Makes one think of North Korea, where the Kim family have ruled with an iron fist since 1948. So the same should apply there according to your logic? Yet I've never heard of a single protest taking place in the Hermit Kingdom.

When you get a minute, just Google "Russian Protests", and you will see just how many protests have taken place, and the results. In 2011, at least 50'000 people protested in Moscow ( and other Cities too,) against the rigged parliamentary elections, and since then there have been many other protests. Makes for some very interesting reading. But so far, no change, except even more repression.

But as I mentioned earlier, until there is a significant trigger , ( like a few hundred more bodies coming back home to a single location as what happened recently in Samara after hundreds of Russian Soldiers ex Samara were killed in the school they were gathered in was hit. ) Until then the Putin Regime will maintain its death-grip on Russia Society.

As for the rest of your comments re a post Putin Russia, I'd be in broad agreement, and just in case you might think that I'm pro-Putin, nothing could be further from the truth. Currently, for me, he is the most evil man on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Watching a documentary one night on why North Korea and its population are the way they are https://www.vox.com/2015/8/3/9089913/north-korea-us-war-crime

What Putins doing in Ukraine re missle strikes etc on the civilian population and infrastructure is miniscule to what America inflicted on North Korea and to this day kids from school age are indoctrinated and thought/shown what took place at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Field east

It’s hard to see a kind of significant ‘push’ to dislodge Putin thereby leading to a new ‘regime’ and God only knows what kind of a direction that would take. SO , THEREFOR no change at the top for the foreseeable future.

BUT, BUT, BUT every fire starts with a ‘SPARK’ and it needs only one person- could be any person, civilian or army, young or old, male or female, Local or foreign to provide that SPARK. There are PLENTY of PRECIDENCES. EG the Iranian situation where a young girl died under police custody; the young Tunisian man trying to get a licence to street trade and set fire to himself in frustration and it set off a wave of major protests in loads of countries- were they called the Arab spring; BEN Dunne found behaving irrationally on a balcony in an Orlando hotel lead to loads of tribunals in Ireland ; was the start of the First World War started by an individual who shot some leader/senior member of government in Sarajevo, etc, etc, etc.

One such a spark in Russia could be provided by one ‘deranged’ individual who has access to Putin for just one second.

There is a large Muslim population in Russia and individuals- depending on the sect, eg Sunni, - carry out FATWA on individuals who do things that upset such individuals - leading to death . Efforts on Salma Rusti come to mind- they failed so far. The theatre disaster in Paris a few years ago where 9 losses their lives. That Paris Magazine that ‘lampooned The Prophet Mohammed - 3 or 4 of the staff were killed. At around the same time a young teacher met with a voilent death by saying something unacceptable to Islamic teaching according to the individual ; the British MP that was murdered in his office two or three yrs ago..

Most if not all of the above was. Carried out by individuals acting alone or in very , very small groups.

so you do not need to be near an upstairs window to pass on to the next life !!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

How can anyone talk of potential famines affecting Russia?

Their farming is both productive and profitable without subsidies and private companies are well established, a much stronger position to where it was 40 years ago.

Seems to be far to much focus on Russia after all of this. How Europe and Ukraine weather it is much more pressing.

Record temperatures across Europe along with big industry slashing use is keeping things afloat for now. But we are continuing to double down on making ourselves increasingly uncompetitive. The economy is kept going for now off supports and the remains of COVID stimulus, but in the medium to long term we can't keep it up.

The prosperity that we've come to expect as standard will not be part of our future.

For Ukraine, how do they ever get back on their feet. Probably need 2 trillion to get to where they were with infrastructure etc (no doubt the EU will be expected to cough up half). That assumes businesses just reopen and seamlessly reintegrate to the wider economy while there is no issues getting citizens back from Europe which seems a bit unlikely.

If a couple of hundred thousand armed men who've spent over a year fighting can't be rapidly reintegrated into jobs, there is a large risk that things do not end well for Ukraine, no matter how things finish with Russia.

Aside from Putins inner circle, can you see anyone getting within killing range of him? Or having access to his food? Change has to come from the top. And He has a special detachment of guards whose very lives depend on keeping him alive. So its a wait for natural causes.

Famine issue. Throughout its history Russia has been prone to famines, and has has had several post USSR, especially from 2010 -2015, which were bad draught years. But now the war and sanctions will affect every level of Life in Russia, and that includes farming, so what was happening in previous years cannot be used as a yardstick in 2023. One reason Russian crops were so successful in recent years was because of western farming methods and machinery, under the communists, harvesting methods were very primitive compared to today. Just look at the communist emblem, its a Hammer and Sickle. They took a massive leap forward when they started to follow western technology, Business and farming methods. Now they have modern western farming machinery, which is ultra efficient, but also ultra complicated electronically, so when it breaks down, its a problem. This was proved when in the beginning of the invasion, they stole millions and millions worth of tractors, trailers, combine harvesters etc, but when they got it back to Russia, they could not get it to work. The owners were able to track them down to actual farm they were on, ( in Chechnya ) and disable the computerized systems. This can be done for all modern computerized farm machinery in any part of Russia, or any part of the world. So good luck with trying to by-pass the system, after several failed attempts, it will fry itself beyond repair. So just wait until Ivan has a bumper crop, but his combine refuses to budge, and he cannot ask the masses as he did in years gone by to turn up with their sickles for the harvest. And this same scenario is being enacted across all sectors in Russia now at this moment, Aircraft, Car Production, automatic assembly lines, In fact anything that was built to and dependent on western technology is affected. Then there is the skilled manpower issue. Many apartment blocks in Russia had no heating at the start of winter this year because the maintenance men had been conscripted.This is only one sector out of many.

Second, how the West / Ukraine will weather the storm Putins war has caused. We in the west will adapt and survive, for sure. Had Ukraine not stopped Putin in his tracks, just imagine what the storm would have been like??? It would have been a full scale war in Europe, give the scale of Putins ambitions to return all the former USSR states to Moscows control....from West Germany to Alaska.

Russia can expect to pay reparations for the destruction they caused in Ukraine. Plus, we had the Marshall plan in the second world war, so I'm pretty sure that a similar plan can be put in place for Ukraine, if its needed. Russia will have to find its own way out of the mess Putin has created.

For the repatriation issue, with Ukrainians having left home, and how many will stay in their host Country's. You may remember the big influx of Polish people to Ireland when Poland joined the EU. Quite a large % of those have now returned home because the standard of living in Poland has risen. I would expect eventually, the same thing will happen with Ukraine. But most will go as soon as its safe to do so.

Hundreds of thousands of battle hardened men returning home to Ukraine..if they lose the war, what will they be returning home to? Will be more interesting to see how Putin handles the survivors of his madness who return... The Gulags, most likely. How he will cope with a destroyed economy will be something else.

If you read the exchange back you'll see I'm saying 140 million russians can overthrow putrid, if they choose to. You'll also see yourself saying the same thing. The only difference is you call the choice a logjam. Just as I said russian soldiers had a choice early in the war, there will be risks and lives lost.

Great, they may sink with the ship. Breaking up the russian federation may at least blunt the adventurism of their extreme nationalism.

Plenty of Irish people inform on others. Talk to professionals in certain fields and they'll tell you of clients coming to them "in trouble" due to being informed on.

Yes, for sure 140 Million would be more than enough numerically to remove Putin. But the difference is that Putin, like his counterpart Mt. Kim has removed that choice,,, completely! Now it will take massive social unrest to generate enough momentum to break that logjam. And remember, in North Korea, even famines have not triggered regime change. Back in 2011 when Putin was far weaker than he is now, 50'000 people protesting on the streets in Moscow ( and other City's) over forged Parliamentary results failed to remove him.

Lol.... How does social unrest happen if people don't have the choice? You can still choose a course in the face of adversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

It's very hard to take any of that serious. You obviously weren't involved in farming in Russia? (This is the farming forum).

If a large amount of the Russian grain harvest has to be cut by hand, it means that a few billion people were wiped out by nuclear war and all that is left is a few survivors subsisting without access to oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

If Russia was winning this war the way they planned the Russian population would have no problem with what's going on in Ukraine. Even now the Russian army couldn't be doing what they're doing without their soldiers been well motivated Reports today that Ukraine withdrawing from Soledar and they're not giving up that ground easily.

Advertisement