Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staff Shortages in Ireland.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,709 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Lactose intolerance maybe?

A judge has said that it is “extraordinary” that the State is paying disability benefit for a Limerick burglary gang member’s lactose intolerance.

At Ennis Circuit Court, after being informed of Edward Woodland’s disability benefit for his lactose intolerance, Judge Eoin Garavan commented: “I am sure that the taxpayer will be delighted to know that the Department of Social Welfare pays disability benefit for lactose intolerance.”

Judge Garavan made his comments about Edward Woodland (23) when imposing cumulative sentences on Woodland and three accomplices in a four-strong burglary gang of 18½ years with 4½ years suspended for a burglary on an isolated farmhouse at Ballyveskill, Tiermaclane, 9km from Ennis in Co Clare on January 5th, 2018.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Not if they are 50 they haven't. Some have hardly worked their whole lives. I don't want to be paying for wasters from my 50% taxes. Go get a job and look after yourself.

lactose intolerance !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I think the Onion said it best: High cost of living now outweighs the benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Gets them off the unemployed lists, makes numbers look better.

Sums up the "lets just **** money at it" attitude of the political class

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭bigroad

Rise of 600 percent for gas and electric.

Yea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Residents of Dublin will have to get used to businesses closing due to staff shortages. The situation won't get any better in the near future.

The problem is the excessive cost of renting in and around Dublin and the lack of availability of decent housing. Nowhere in Europe have I seen such long queues just to view one apartment.

Also many of the jobs in hospitality have been done by foreigners, EU nationals from other countries, Poland, Southern Europe etc... The salaries in hospitality and various service oriented jobs simply don't pay enough to pay the rent for a studio apartment or a one bedroom.

Not everybody is comfortable in sharing accommodation with a bunch of strangers.

These staff shortages are a direct result of the housing crisis in Dublin. The problem is that this is negated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Working for anywhere near minimum wage in Dublin is insanity... its not viable

Any landlord will ask for confirmation of your employment and income. The minimum wage will not even meet the annual rent required for a solid letting agreement. Thus staff shortages will be the norm for the future. It's simply not feasible or even possible to work for minimum wage salaries in Dublin.

Ireland in general has no real room to grow unless more housing comes onto the market and the prices actually drop. The current housing crisis will be the new brain drain out of Ireland, if not solved soon.

Living in shared housing with a bunch of strangers is nobody's dream at any age and in any job. Only very desperate people do that, but then you get a desperate service for a desperate salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭baldbear

Fellas dead now. Maybe the judge should target politicians and their expenses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,919 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Grown adults who are at the life stage of wanting to live alone should not be in minimum wage jobs: minimum wages are starter or tide-me-over jobs, not intended to support a household.

Great for students, people on working holidays, retired people wanting to earn extra, etc.

People with disabilities who don't have the capacity to progress beyond minimum wage get social housing support.

So the vast number of minimum wage jobs in retail, hospitality, healthcare are ALL just pin money jobs? Do you really think that there are higher paying jobs available for all of these people?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Yes they are by re-skilling, up-skilling or merely seeking promotions. Every retail outlet has at least a manager if not regional and national managers. How many of the minimum wage staff even bother to fill out the application for promotions in their own workplace?

You're after giving an example of a business ultimately shutting due to high costs of ingredients and energy. I hope you're not suggesting raising minimum wage as well?

If i ever have kids, I will give them money and not have them work, until they get a proper paying job. Before I would have them on minimum wage or near it. This dirt cheap labour, while the government at the same time, exacerbate the housing crisis and people are now paying e2000 in shared living accomodation, its depraved! Seizing fifty percent of your earnings over a pittance, while allowing companies with more money than god, pay well less than their fair share, is morally corrupt and disgusting...

the politicians as bad as a joke as all of our lot of wasters are, are at least working and doing something. These thieves , many getting disability benefit, because two hairs on their head are growing in opposite directions, are lifelong parasites on the rest of us. How many claiming disability in ireland, would be awarded it in germany or the uk? a fraction of here, thats for sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

So loads of chiefs and no Indians to do grunt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,919 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There are not vast numbers of people actually on minimum wage. I don't believe any healthcare workers are (possible exception being cleaners with little experience).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Why would anybody want to work in this country is the real question.

Taxes $$$

Transport $$$

Healthcare $$$$$

Childminder $$$

car Insurance $$$$

Rent/ mortgage $$$$$

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

when people DO get taxed to the bollix, as we are…

people are slightly placated if, in return for paying all that tax.. that we have attainable, accessible, efficient and effective public services. We don’t have anything close quite simply…

not only that, what services are available we find ourselves having to wait an eternity for, meanwhile we see people step off an aircraft get prioritised over citizens, over taxpayers for many of these services from housing to healthcare and all in between in double quick time….basically we are an afterthought and paying top dollar for the privilege.

so for your outlay of effort and tax you get SFA back in this country….you / we are second class, an afterthought… and paying top dollar.

i know people who in the summer / autumn are moving abroad, can’t get the rewards here for their experience, aptitudes.

Why would you put in 40 hours a week to earn SFA ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,709 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

At the rate things are going, Dubliners are going to have to get used to no teachers, nurses, gardai...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Have things changed much since Covid?

"Up to 10,000 hospital contract cleaners have been refused a 40c-an-hour pay rise, despite risking their lives in health facilities treating Covid-19 patients.

Cleaners are exposing themselves to the virus for €10.80 an hour – barely more than the minimum wage and shy of the €12.40 per hour living wage.

SIPTU union has hit out after the pay rise – promised in March – never happened and some staff claim they are not being supplied with masks or gowns."

Yeah, one manager post for every forty minimum wage staff. What do you expect the other thirty nine staff to do?

I know it suits some people to spin the dream of working hard and climbing the ladder, but the reality is different for many people, probably most people.

We pay similar amounts in social spending to Spain, not much less than Germany but a fair bit more than the UK. I'm not sure you want to be looking to the UK for a country to emulate right now, though. France is the country in Europe with the highest proportion of spending on social.

The problem in Dublin is, one either has to be very desperate or very rich to move there.

Even employees at one of the US American multinational IT companies end up living in shared housing even though their salary is usually rather good and higher than that of teachers, nurses and guards - or only good by mainland European standards. Once they come to Dublin and reality sets in few tend to stay longer. This produces only transient workers, people coming and going, and no community.

Also, the housing crisis in Dublin is man made and a direct result of the financial crisis and getting property values up by a recovering economy but very limited to no fresh supply of house building.

Employers can complain all they want about staff shortages, they won't be able to employ anybody as they have no place to stay in.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

There's almost 6mn people here, Clearly some must want to stay, and maybe even like it.

"we see people step off an aircraft get prioritised over citizens, over taxpayers for many of these services from housing to healthcare and all in between in double quick time".

Being put into hotel rooms, asylum centres and tents isn't priority housing. They have the same access to healthcare that every public patient has. Cop on.

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

There's many issues but there's loads of money, where's the loads of money? It's tied up in the personal wealth of billionaires. Any individual with wealth in excess of 1bn should be taxed at 90% for every cent over that 1bn. The money isn't being distributed back into society. There's no god reason Jeff Bezos for example should have 300bn of personal wealth while he has employees on the payroll at minimum wage. This makes no sense. Any landlord with more than 5 homes should be taxed at 80% of the rental income, not the profit because they can put expenses against the profit. Government policy on housing for the past 25 years has failed, stop and change before it gets worse. Put an immediate stop on investment and vultures buying residential properties.

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

This is the issue there is a false belief everyone can work hard and get a great job. Some people are not capable though for many reasons Like their just not good at learning for example. I don't want to use low intelligence as that's strictly not true. There will always be Layers in a population. Those that do the Graft work and those that do the so call better jobs. As mention in the old days these people rented cheap places or off the CC. There will be a section of society not actually cut out for 9-5 jobs. Again they tend to work 24/7 late shop shifts. All low paid. This idea of pull the boot laces up and get on with it does not work. I really think we Need a UBI system the world has changed.

They get medical cards, meanwhile folks who work their whole lives, and Irish students, dont get medical cards. Even 80 year old pensioners who paid into the system 40 years don't always get full medical cards.

I see posts from students asking how they can get a rotten tooth extracted because they can't afford the dentist. Only option is to scrounge up the cash somehow or go to an emergency dental hospital.

I also have seen many reports of students who are living in cars, or on couches. No accommodation for them. They ARE homeless.

So yeah, folks just in the country a day DO get priority quite often. I feel that's wrong.

And there are not a small number of asylum seekers/ISP/refugees enjoying this priority. That is just a fact.

...bus drivers, firefighters, doctors, chefs, the list goes on.

Controversial opinion: Ireland should provide everyone with a medical card. Other countries seem to manage it, Ireland is doing well, and society, in general, is more productive than at any other time in human history.

I don't think there's much in the way of dental beyond extractions provided by the medical card, and what you get for paying PRSI is one checkup visit a year. I'm lucky to live far enough North that I don't have to go to the dentist here. Everyone deserves a better standard of care.

If the state isn't there to protect the well-being of every citizen then what's the point? Is it just there to do the bare minimum to keep order while providing bodies to work for the upper echelons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

That's mad you can go to the NHS ? No proof of address needed ? I would be doing the same If I could then.

Advertisement