Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building costs. Jan 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

With recent price drops that 10% should be almost gone give it another 6 months and you will save a good bit more

Wait another 6 months. construction has slowed right down and with a recession and job losses/companies hitting the wall ramping up, the current prices are unaffordable for the vast majority of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭MacDanger

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Donegal1234

Interesting. Where you building and what sq ft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭crinkley

What have been peoples engineer/architect costs?

I take it from your prices your going with a contractor rather then self building.

6600 for drawings for planning, construction drawings and overseeing the build.

breakdown

2k for drawings

2.2k for construction

2.4k for overseeing project and signing off every stage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I know it goes without saying but you need to look beyond the local builder's provider when pricing - My two nearest were doing Knauf Earthwool 100mm, 13.89m^2 rolls for 90 and 93 EUR (inc VAT) in early December while another provider 15kms away was supplying the same for 63.99 (inc VAT). Those two providers now have the same rolls up for 73.22 while the further provider is now 52.45.

Insulated plasterboard appears to be down around 15% on last Oct/Nov too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

600 or so would be the going rate here in Donegal for the percolation test.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Who is the good value provider? Would be worth traveling for at those prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Xidu

all the drop is becoz of oil price coming down

as long as oil price stabilizing for a time of period

raw material price should come down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Probably does not exist - Building Proividers are price aware on common mateirals like Insulation/Timber etc.- I'd say he was talking nonsnese. Unless he can prove via quotes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭obi604

Its not just that there area a number of factors going into the prices such as the supply chain issues are slowly but surely getting sorted. Not to mention things like containers for carrying goods is down 80% since the peak. It is also due to demand falling off a cliff with people cancelling jobs due to the irrationally high costs that were being asked for. If the war in the Ukraine ended tomorrow with an amicable resolution construction raw materials would take a serious tumble downwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Our build is underway so I can give some fairly solid figures (though we started in early summer 2022 so got ahead of some small price rises). House is 265 sq m and a 60 sq m garage. We are building in the South East. All prices including VAT if applicable. Direct labour build managed by ourselves.

Ground works and foundations both house and garage (labour and all materials) - 37k

Structure (materials and labour for blocklaying, hollowcore and steel for large opes/corner window, cills and lintels etc excludes insulation) both house and garage: 55k

Roof garage: materials + labour (excludes insulation): approx 7k

Roof house: materials + labour (excludes insulation and veluxes) approx 21k

Windows and external doors both house and garage (excludes veluxes and roller door): 35k

Only have labour quotes past this and not priced materials so not really useful to include

Post edited by SodiumCooled on

I checked into this a bit more and the roof figure above are slightly wrong. The correct figures (all ex VAT) are:

Superstructure incl. roof 80k

Internal partitions & plastering, external wall plastering & corrugated iron 43k

Roof covering (corrugated iron mostly) 18k

I had lumped those last two figures both in as the roof

any more general comments?

Personally I think holding off and waiting for price decreases is a fools game. If you are ready to go and have financing in place then I would go ahead. Prices won't fall much if at all on materials in my opinion and labour is hard to see falling - everyone in PAYE jobs is looking for and getting pay increases due to cost of living etc I can't see trades people willing to take much of a pay cut.

Add to that where are you living in the mean time? Even paying 1000 in rent a month (which is low) that's 12k paid out in a year waiting - hard to see prices falling enough to off set that and they may be even higher in a year. Then there is family considerations, is it better to get your home done and moved into for your family at this time or drag things on a few more years. Even if paying nothing in rent and living with your folks you can't do it indefinitely or risk outstaying you welcome.

Overall my 2c would be start as soon as possible if you are ready to go aside from the hope of prices dropping.

• Advertisement

We're just starting to build now - not a great time but it's impossible to know how things will play out in the short/medium term and our kids are 6 & 8 so we can't really afford to hand about much longer.

If you have no kids or much younger kids, you might consider holding off but you'd want to be prepared to wait 5 years or more for a significant decrease and also be aware that it may never actually come.

+1

Anything could happen in the next few years: costs could double or halve, as could property prices (both have doubled, then halved, and now doubled again in the 20 years since I bought my home). Nobody knows the future. In 10 years time you may have won or lost compared to your mate who bought 5 years ago or the one who'll buy in 5 years.

BUT if it's worth committing to the monthly payments for the term of the mortgage today, it'll still be worth it in 10 or 20 or 30 years time when it's paid off. And WHEN you're mortgage free, you'll be light years ahead of the people who hummed & hawed doing a "will we, won't we" for 20 years.

Also, the mortgage repayment which looks like a fortune now will probably seem a pittance in 20 years time even if you're still paying it.

Ignore equity (positive or negative) in your home. You're living in it, so it's not like you can magically transform it into cash at the bank anyway. A mortgage is just a monthly expense like heat, electricity etc— except you aren't going to suddenly become entitled to free Sky Sports for the rest of your life after you've been a loyal customer for 25 years...This is true as long as you're buying a HOME and not just investing in a house you happen to be living in.

It depends on the trade from my experience, wet trades like plastering and blocklaying the labour makes up a significant proportion of the cost and the rates are far higher than they once were. Roofing, foundations etc would have materials costs much higher than the labour.

The biggest single item that has really been far far more expensive than expected (so far) was windows and external doors, now ours is driven up by having a large aluminium slider and aluminium front door but still leaving these as PVC would still have us at about twice the cost of a relation who built about 6 years ago and they had a bigger house.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

You also have to factor in actually living in the house.

If you got work now for say 100k, and someone else waited for 3 years and got the same work done for 90k, which would you choose? I would choose the former as I'd have spent 3 additional years living in the house even though at an additional cost of 10k.

You can buy many things back but you can't buy your time back!

The majority of builds and extensions will be paid for with added interest rates right now its expensive to get a loan or mortgage and it will be the same for the next 12 months I can see rates dropping in 2024 at some stage it may be late. if people can hold off I can see raw materials dropping and a recession this year will help construction workers come to terms with the reality that the majority of people wanting work done cant afford to get it done. the math cant lie. 30/40% increase in costs for an extension and over half the working population not getting a pay increase in 2022. See what 2023 brings.

Would you mind giving details of your slider (by PM if you'd prefer) - what sort of size are you talking about, cost and supplier? Did you consider a folding door as an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

And me as well please .

Has anyone any ideas on what it would cost for an architect or engineer for a 1 room extension or renovation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rs8

Started myself late last year. Am at sub floor stage waiting for block layer to come back and have 28k gone into it. Done it all myself. Was quoted 46 thousand by builder to get to same stage.

Has anyone price per square meter for there house that was 100 % a self build? And was there much diffrence between self build/ contractor? Lots of people on self build on Facebook throwing figures out and there not self builds at all ... they've a contractor getting them to builders finish stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭alan86

Hey rs8, I'm hoping to make a start myself in next few months. When you say you "done it all your self" do you mean you dug foundations etc yourself or that you didn't go contractor route that would provide you with builders finish and you will be bringing in your own trades to do work along with doing any bit you can yourself? Not being smart or anything I have a bit of cash put aside and hoping to make a start with that so I'm wondering is the 28k you put into foundation because you did it yourself or thats price it cost you to bring someone in to do it? Also just wondering what size house you are building? I will be build approx 2000 square foot bungalow. I won't be going contractor route either myself and hoping to do as much as I can myself.

• Advertisement

this is where people are a bit flippant with the costs, you are very clear in your statement. i.e. builders finish

some people I’ve spoken to give me costs ex vat (which isn’t worth a sh1te to me as a Joe soap, just give me the actual cost) and then say yeah, you will build that for X Euro a square metre but forget to mention it’s only builders finish 🤪🤪

What would be the ballpark figure per square metre for a finished house including VAT etc etc

I’m hearing along the lines of 2500 Euro per square metre for a standard enough house, is this right ?

Advertisement