Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭JPup

Tyler Morton hasn’t been doing great at Blackburn from what I’ve read. Well behind Elliot when he was there and at an older age. I doubt he makes it at Liverpool even as a squad player. Hope I’m wrong of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭brevity

Wednesday woes...

If we don't sign a decent midfielder this window, then I don't have much hope for this season.

We won't beat Madrid and we won't get 4th. And I think that putting pressure on the players to try and do this is without bringing in sufficient reinforcements is part of the reason some of the players are stagnating.

The cost of not making CL is surely the cost of a decent midfielder but I think the club have left it too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,072 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He's starting every game at 20 in a decent promotion chasing team in a competitive league. That's enough for this loan move to be honest. I've definitely read a lot more positive things than you, but it's always safe money to say a player won't make it, cause almost none do. The bar at Liverpool is astronomically high. But he looks like he's going to have a solid career, which is the main thing from an academy production point of view.

Instead of considering these lads flops if they don't manage to make the most elite of grades, we need to consider them absolute wins if they make a career in the game after youth level and generate some income. It looks like that's a fairly safe bet for Morton already, and everything he does from here is bonus territory. Fair play to the kid for what he's achieved so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Just hoping we have another Gakpo moment of signing someone who wasn't even on our radar, and soon.

I mean obviously Tyler Morton is a very impressive footballer and should be able to make a career at championship level if not higher. It’s not a dig at him to say he probably won’t become a starting player for Liverpool which is what supporters of the club (ie people on this forum) are interested in. That’s an exceptionally high bar to cross.

It’s a good sign he’s getting minutes there alright but there are financial penalties put in these loan contracts if the players don’t hit a certain number of games. Plus Blackburn want to keep us sweet in case they get another Harvey Elliot in the future. So unless Morton was really underperforming he’s going to get decent game time.

Wouldn't buy any argument that they're only playing him to avoid penalties to be honest. He's a key man in the middle of their midfield, on set-piece duties, and they'd definitely have been under no obligation to play him every single week as they have done. Also, they had absolutely no problem with dropping Leighton Clarkson last season - also loaned from us - when he wasn't making the grade. They only gave him 7 appearances. Even besides that, we've seen plenty of loanees fail to get anywhere near the amount of game time Morton has - it's probably more common that they don't play that much actually, so I just don't buy that being a loanee from us is what has made him a mainstay.

Blackburn are a proper team, in a proper league, chasing an incredibly lucrative promotion - there is no way they're doing anything other than picking their best team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Just as well we went out in the last round of the cup. 😏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

No Quad for City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Morton has been doing very well for Blackburn this season. He has started over 20 of their 26 games. He takes their corners and free kicks and has firmly established himself as a mainstain in the middle of the team right in the promotion mix...I have 2 Blackburn supporting mates and they are very impressed with him. Does this mean he will be a Liverpool star? No, as so few rarely make it but to say he's struggling is a injustice to him in my opinion...

Post edited by Ottoman_1000 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Re Podcasts - The Anfield Wrap does my head in at times. Some of those guys speak some serious bullshït. Try Walk On. It's the Athletic's Liverpool podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Nunez is a doubt for the Brighton game according to Paul Joyce.

It's just speculation based on him being absent from training, Keita missed some sessions before the Wolves game and everyone thought he'd be out but he was fine.

That was all twitter talk. Joyce, Bascombe etc didn't have articles on it iirc. They do this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Class I've been hoping to see the strike force of Ox-Gakpo-Salah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Unfortunately not.

Diaz, Jota, Nunez & Firmino all missing. Along with those in defence / midfield.

Jota has missed the whole season so far basically and has been very much missed, it's gone under the radar how much he has been missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The games he did play we saw a little uptick in performances.

Very true... the Mane thing gets brought up more often, but I don't think we'd have missed Mane if we had Jota.

Diogoal is such an underrated player. Works his socks off and manages to always be in the right place at the right time!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Joao Felix with a stright red for Chelsea, so he will be out for our game. He was playing well aswell.

I didn't see the second half... how bad was the tackle? It's only a 3 match ban for violent conduct, while it's just a 1 match ban for a professional foul, so just depends on how reckless it was viewed to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

It wasn't overly malicious but challenge was late, studs showing and caught the player around knee high. Saying that he wouldn't of hurt the player but letter of the law and all, it was the correct decision and should miss three games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We need goals, take away the 9 in one game, and we're down to 25 goals, goals win games, this time last year we had 48 goals, in 17 league games, we can all talk about the defense, but we're shocking in front of goal this season, we went away to United early in season, had 73% of the ball, 17 shots, missed sitters, and people praised an amazing United performance, had we took our chances it would have been 2 - 5

Gakpo needs to hit the ground running, Nunez and Salah need to wake up, Elliot, Thiago, Henederson, need to chip in, VVD needs to step up, as does Matip and Konate when they play. We need goals, you literally can't win games without goals.

Brighton feels like a big game now. Lose and we’re below them and Fulham and top four would start drifting away.

Im a bit worried for this one. We’ve so many injuries and their central midfield is their strong point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Yep, I'd be surprised if it's not three matches. Contact wasn't too bad but it was high and his studs were showing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The Daily Telegraph referred to Felix’s challenge as “X-rated” so as long our match is on before the watershed, we shouldn’t have to worry about him playing.

ah gotcha, yeah knee height is prob a 3 match ban alright! Good for us anyway... though with our luck, we'll be the game that kickstarts Potter's Chelsea career!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Talisman

You must be reading some very biased opinions. Morton's role is very different to Elliott and to try to compare them by any metric is ridiculous. Elliott played primarily as a right winger with the freedom to wander and affect the game in the final third. Morton sits in central midfield protecting the back line and recycling the ball.

Fair enough. I was reading a Blackburn online fan forum discussion about him. They seemed to think he was decent but no great shakes. But then online forums aren’t necessarily the be all and end all of knowledge as we all know! It could have been a day they were frustrated with the team after a loss for example

I had him pegged in my head as a level above the likes of Leighton Clarkson but a level below Curtis Jones in terms of ability. The consensus here seems to be that’s harsh and he’s on track to be at least as good as Curtis Jones if I’m picking people up correctly.

Thats great if true. Could be a very useful addition to our squad next year.

• Advertisement

They're also just different things... Jones is more naturally attacking, while Morton is more defensive. I think it's easier to make the grade if you're a good solid defensive player with a decent engine and awareness who does the simple things well, while an attacker needs to regularly exhibit a bit of an x-factor to make things happen.

I wouldn’t be concerned that Blackburn fans don’t think he’s anything special, a loan spell in the Championship often indicates absolutely nothing about the potential of a player. The likes of Dom Solanke and Tom Cairney always look brilliant at that level, yet Harry Kane failed to impress in that league on two different loan spells.

Morton might never be good enough to play regularly for Liverpool, or he could be a star in the making. It’s too early to tell for sure but him playing every week like he’s doing now gives him the best possible chance of success. The quality of his performances isn’t even that important right now, he’s just gaining valuable experience in a very physical league.

Yup, brilliant to be getting so much time.

For contrast, Curtis Jones has been around the Liverpool first team for 4 years now, with 25 league starts in total, ever. Morton has 20 league starts just this season alone. That week-in-week-out experience is something that's been really missed in Jones development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I may be wrong, but I don't think I am....i remember Jota being poor for months before the injury. He wasn't awful, but he was nowhere near the standard he was when he first arrived.

Having said that, I'd like him back asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm quite downbeat about our prospects tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Which aligns with our 0 goals and 0 midfielders brought in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,845 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Most interesting thing about tomorrow is to see where out managements teams heads are at,

Do they just do what we always do or will we try something different ?

Goals are going to be next to impossible to come by with Nunez, Firmino, Jota,Diaz & VVD missing ,

Salah is literally the only one left who you can imagine getting on the score sheet, OX or Trent maybe ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Well guys, no new midfield signings in January. Think top 4 is a step too far with our current midfield. I wonder why they signed Gakpo over a midfield player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Depressing enough press conference from Klopp.

No new signings. Nunez hamstring. Wait and see.

Bobby not in team training yet. They originally thought it would be a ten day thing.

Id be amazed now if it isn't mid table mediocrity this year. So damaging and wasteful.

What frustrates me about the whole "new signings don't solve everything" quotes is that we don't seem to be doing anything else to solve our problems either, it's the same performance every single week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Really not looking forward to tomorrow to be honest, had a feeling no new players will be signing in this window...

Club had Jones up for an interview with the website this morning, clearly he will be starting if so...

Saw on Twitter earlier :

5 mins - Goal - Trossard

I can almost envision the (non existent) goal so far...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Better win the CL so, don't see us qualifying through the league for next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Talisman

He's a very different player and personality to Curtis Jones. Jones has the ego to feel like he belongs in the first team squad, Morton is quiet and lacked the self belief to have that persona. The staff were concerned that he was too slight to withstand the physical rigors of playing for Liverpool, he demonstrated last season that he has the ability to play at that level but he needs to develop physically. The loan to Blackburn has put him in the thick of it in terms of experiencing the physicality of a league playing in midfield and the experience will do wonders for his self confidence. I don't expect him to return from the loan as a player that is in awe of his peers and happy to just be involved on the fringes of the Liverpool squad next season.

He has always been a tidy player, he keeps things simple, can read the game and has an eye for a pass. At under age level he was never the stand out player, but he was always consistent in his performances. There were a number of fans who didn't recognise what Wijnaldum brought to our midfield and the same is true of Morton. He's not going to take the ball on and drive forward in an exciting counter attack as Curtis Jones can do, but equally he's not going to let an opponent go past him and assume that his team mates have it covered when possession is lost.

Jones needs a player to win the ball back for him and then give it to him going forward, he looks decent in a midfield three when the other players are doing the work to make up for his short comings. Things go badly when Liverpool face a team which requires all three midfielders to put a shift in because Jones doesn't have that in him, he'll do the work for 20-30 minutes but then will revert to his own game. His performances in the early season games against Brentford and Man City last season were examples of that, after he contributed a goal or assist his work was done and he became a passenger. In a game against Chelsea the previous season, both Ziyech and Mount out competed him and Jones got hooked after about an hour. He needs to get his head right if he wants to be a regular player, there's no doubt that he is talented but that is no substitute for being willing to do the work required to merit a place in the team.

Personally I believe that Morton will deliver for Liverpool once he develops. Our midfield doesn't require three world beaters but it needs players that are willing to work every time they step on the pitch and that is a natural part of Morton's game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,845 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Looks like the last 18 months & this summer is basically a rebuild,

We have got in Diaz, Nunez, Gakpo so that the front 3 rebuilt ,With Salah still there & Jota

I'm guessing the midfield is up next in the summer,

To be fair if we are flying next year we can't complain , Look how long it took Arsenal & United to rebuild

• Advertisement

He's only scored twice since the last Liverpool-Brighton game on October 1st, so he is due one.

One thing I will note is that Brighton do cough up a lot of chances, and have conceded every game for the last 7. It's a real shame that there is so many injuries up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Just caught some of the Klopp presser. He didn't seem in good form at all. I'd say the whole constant injuries/transfer speculation is weighing on him now.

It's inevitable that this midfield picks up more injuries soon too, knowing our luck Thiago will get a knock on Feb 1st that puts him out for "an estimated 3 weeks" that ends up being 4 months.

Was literally just thinking that he's due another long spell out. It's tough for Klopp to plan out a midfield rotation or sign new ones when Thiago is unexpectedly available for any reasonable period of time.

Trossard's been ousted from first team training at the moment...

So it'll be his uncapped replacement who we turn into a star for 90 minutes before he's never heard of again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement