Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

With lawlor and friend going I’d be surprised if Carolan isn’t in line for a return. Don’t know how that dynamic would work with Wilkins staying on though.

Think a director of rugby figure would also come in. Could Wilkins be that man with Nigel head coach or the other way around? Either way I’d want Nigel leading the attack

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'm a Carolan fan. I would be delighted to see him get the job. My guess would be Wilkins and a skills coach brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Incorrect. Player negotiations have been ongoing since December just like every other year just haven’t been made public. Would assume they are looking at potential coaches and may well promote from within as they did with lawlor and Tucker previously

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Porch might get a deal in France. He could make more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

My apologies. I read one of your earlier posts and assumed there hadn't been any negotiation with players as of yet. Would you think 2 new coaches will join to replace the 2 leaving or will their be double jobbing ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I'm not sure I'd believe the line about Wilkins not being offered HC role for 2023/24. The players certainly believed he was staying on as of a few weeks back.

No worries. Typically connacht haven’t had a DOR type of role so will definitely depend on what type of coach Wilkins sees himself as, he may bring in another defence coach but I don’t see it personally. Would expect to see mark sexton step up from academy to skills/backs coach, hear good things about him but may not be ready to lead an attack yet so will be interesting to see if they go elsewhere for an attack/backs coach or do both. Personally would love to see them get someone a bit more experienced, everyone seems to be a bit on the younger side of their coaching careers thus far

Would like to see something like this at the weekend:

Dooley

Heffernan

Illo

N Murray

Fafita

Prendergast

SHL

Butler

Marmion

Fitz

Killgallen

Forde

Farrell

Ralston

Jennings

DTM

Duggan

Aungier

Booth

McCormack

Devine

Daly

Porch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

The fact that Wilkins is making public statements like that offer a small bit of hope it’s not a foregone conclusion. At the very least Connacht need to have an open process and hold interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Would you like Pivac? I think he'd do a fine job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

I'd be very surprised if its not Wilkins; he's well thought of has had a year as "head coach" and has made clear he's looking to have a conversation about the head role.

We need to realistic about who we could attract as head coach/dor. We have a limited budget and the restrictions that come with the Irish setup can be off putting to some coaches (not able to recruit their own players).

I'd take Wilkins as head coach/dor if we could get in an experienced attack coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Butler is still recovering, isn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Finger injury less severe than feared- available for selection I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I'd love Pivac. He has a similar profile to Lancaster before Leinster, a proven top class coach who needs to rehab his image after an ill fated run at international level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Agreed. Maybe Masterson and Bundee (what is going on there). Marmion needs game time as was obvious from last weekend. Same for DTM. Tom Daly to out half? My wish. Every time he has been there he has done most well. And then maybe full back can be given to one of the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Masterson is still unavailable due to injury.

Bundee should play, he's available so rarely and also needs the minutes in preparation for the six nations. It allows us to put in someone less experienced either at 10 (Forde?) or 13 (Ralston, Shayne Bolton?).

Ideally take the same approach to the starting back three: two of Mack/Kilgallen/Porch/Tiernan, and one of Jennings/Chay Mullins/Josh O'Connor.

My impression is that the two european games are not going to be gimmes. We've moved from a period where we were injury free to one where we're seriously depleted. We need a good run in the Challenge cup to give more opportunities to our younger players, but to win games our teams will have to be leavened with experience. And we need a run of victories both for morale and recruitment purposes.

Absolutely, the kind of appointment Connacht should aspire to. Obviously no guarantee he would be interested but after his last job, some chance he might welcome the stability (Kieran Keane aside) a job like Connacht would offer. With there being some financial struggles in most places bar France it seems makes it a small bit more possible too.

Yeah it certainly seems likely it will be him but the calibre of coaches Connacht have been to attract in the past and the experience they have brought to the role means there should be no shortage of candidates to at least make the process competitive.

Would love to see the forde-Farrell partnership develop a bit more over the next two weeks. Play then one week and Bundee-Ralston the other.

I would assume they’ll go slightly stronger overall this week to secure the bonus point win and qualify for the knockout stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

I respectfully disagree about that one, we have to keep the powder dry for Newcastle away who'll be difficult, to ensure a home round of 16

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

If the IRFU could stretch I think he'd go for it. He must feel hard done by after Wales and prob sill has "some stuff in the basement" - Rocky.

What would be the salary? 250-75k?

15. Mack Hansen (22)

14. John Porch (71)

13. Byron Ralston (10)

12. Cathal Forde (5)

11. Alex Wootton (38)

10. Jack Carty (189) (C)

9. Colm Reilly (15)

1. Peter Dooley (11)

2. Dave Heffernan (176)

3. Finlay Bealham (183)

4. Josh Murphy (9)

5. Niall Murray (46)

6. Cian Prendergast (38)

7. Conor Oliver (52)

8. Jarrad Butler (105)

Replacements

16. Dylan Tierney-Martin (13)

17. Jordan Duggan (32)

18. Jack Aungier (41)

19. Leva Fifita (20)

20. Ciaran Booth (3)

21. Kieran Marmion (221)

22. Tom Daly (69)

23. Conor Fitzgerald (61)

No Bundee - this is getting odd, and slightly surprised to see that 12/13 combination. Disappointed that Illo hasn't beeen picked.

Would have like to see either Illo or Burke get in. When did bundee play last ? Irish squad to be named next Thursday.

Burke just back from injury this week, would expect to see illo next week

It's a much stronger team than expected by most. Shows Connacht want the Challenge Cup option open for ERC rugby next year. The Bundee situation is a bit weird. He is shown as training in the team pictures leading up to the game. It's very unlikely he will be considered for the Irish panel to be announced which suggests he will be exiting Ireland this Summer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

It's very unlikely he will be considered for the Irish panel to be announced which suggests he will be exiting Ireland this Summer

If Bundee Aki is fit, he'll be named in the Ireland squad next week. Simple as.

That man is criminally underrated by Irish fans. He's been pivotal to so many of the huge results we've had over the last 5 years. People won't fully appreciate him until he's gone.

• Advertisement

I tend to disagree hugely. We will see soon enough

Advertisement