Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1,350/cow payment to cut suckler numbers

Options

Comments

You forgot the bit about the new thinking being an idea around a new scheme to encourage dairy lads to reduce cow numbers.

A scheme to encourage lads to reduce numbers in sucklers when they are already significant numbers exiting sucklers as is. Totally daft.

If they want to cut emissions they should look at breeding and supplements like New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

This is the most telling indication I have ever seen of where the IFA's heads are at. To so ferociously oppose a VOLUNTARY reduction scheme that could have given farmers a way out is criminal. I don't hear them nearly as vocal when it comes to all these new regs around slurry spreading and stocking rates that will have serious financial impacts for farmers. But up in arms they were at the suggestion of money to the farmer to reduce a few cows and make his farm more extensive at a time of high input costs. They are in bed with the processers. Any doubts I had are gone now.

"A scheme to encourage lads to reduce numbers in sucklers when they are already significant numbers exiting sucklers as is. Totally daft."

Someone made the comparison to the fodder support scheme - farmers had to make fodder anyway so why give them the €1000. I don't understand how you can be so against something that would give you the option to take some money to reduce your herd, or drive on and watch as your stock becomes more valuable as there's less beef cattle produced.

As for supplements to magically stop methane without harmful repercussions for man, beast or the land - I'd say dream on.

The goal of the scheme is to reduce methane emissions.

Lets say this scheme encourages more lads to exit suckler cows quicker than they already are.

In my opinion the benefits will be marginal in terms of methane reduction as we see continuing expansion in the dairy herd and lads switching to buying finishing cattle over 30 months when the price is poor due to oversupply.

Methane reducing approaches in the active herd are crucial in my opinion. We can see that approach being taken in New Zealand and in Brazil. The supplements are natural products.

You don’t even have suckler cows. Why are you getting so excited about it?

Emissions are the driver of the scheme.

Like I said above. This scheme will have a marginal impact in terms of reducing numbers.

Beef prices have been high in the last couple of years. If you can’t make a margin at this time, well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,661 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

As @smallbeef said it was absolutely treachery by the farm organisations and that if it was targeted at any other sector and there was a proportion that wanted it they would have being running into the department with there tongue's and hands out.

But it was targeted at a section of small mostly part time farmers, many in there 60's who are fed up with this system.

Why are we still giving tax free leasing it's only of advantage to dairy farmers as well as tillage and pushes all lease's into long-term which is not benefiting drystock farmers.

What would this have ment to suckler farmers. To the 50 acre farmer on goodish land with 20 cows. If he went organic he get 13.5k to drop half his cows which would help him in either investment or income sense.

If it was a lad that had no interest in organics it would mean (1150 for full destocking) 23k . He could used this to invest in a calf shed or fencing to change over his system.

The question is @[Deleted User] why did farm organisations and the rag lobby against a large number of farmers interest. Now I do not want to hear BS about it happening anyway neither about emissions. This was probably going to take 2-300k cows out of the system and replace 60+% with grass produced beef.

If this was workers and their the state was intervening the union's would go and negotiate tax allowances

Absolutely treachery and those farmers are worse than to stand for it

Slava Ukrainii

I think your numbers of 300 k cows are a bit ambitious. If that many cows were culled in a single year I think we know what would happen to beef prices.

There is a natural reduction in numbers as it is anyway.

Talks of 60% grass finished beef? Don’t know where you are getting that from. Would it be from the additional lads having cattle ready in June/July each year after pumping them with meal to achieve say a carcass of 340 kgs at 30 months?

You are blind to the origin of the scheme if you don’t want to hear about emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

For the lad with the quality land and sucklers working out fine for him, let him stay and he'll benefit more from the reduction.

For the lad with suckler cows and a 6 or 7 month winter not unusual, there is no way he didn't lose out and lose out big.

If I had to pay the Dept 50 per ewe to reduce them I'd consider it, if they paid me, oh blessed Jesus what a thought.

That’s a fair point. Like I don’t know how anybody could succeed long term in livestock be it dairy or beef if they had to winter for that long.

Surely forestry is a far superior option for someone like that and the money should be tied in to that scheme and not this daft cull top up?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

What about the 2nd last paragraph of the IFJ front page:

* 50% of 800 farmers surveyed said they would consider cutting back or getting out of sucklers depending on the financial incentive

Yet the IFA position is that they do not want a reduction scheme.

How can they say they represent farmers? This episode shows they represent only some farmers. At best.

Even just for optics they could have said they were going to consult their members, rather than immediately be seen as in bed with the processors (again).

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Farmers talked themselves out of it. The likes of the beef plan crew were spitting fire about it (mainly because they added their own bit of conspiracy theory with it as they tend to do)

It was not, you would definitely see 300k cows slaughtered probably a lot of the least efficient lads. But a good few lads on good ground would exit as well

Again any good farm organisation would negotiate a staggered exit. Let farmers have 1-2 years of beep and exit......allow farmers totally existing to destock over 3years with a year or two before they start if they want.

One of the greatest bits of negotiations I ever saw was the unions who negotiated the ESOP ( employee share option scheme) when back in the late 90's privatisation was flavour of the month. The unions involved negotiated a deal that if there state bodies were sold the workers would not walk away empty handed. This was against the general union narrative.

The ICC &ACC were already sold but staff in Trustee savings bank and Telecom Eireann did nicely out of it. Are Lingus workers got a few bob as well along with a few others

There is nobody pumping dairy bred stock with meal to finish in early summer not only that most of the lads are feeding no ration the second winter. It's only idiots with sucklers do that. If you are even half efficient you will finish a friesian at that weight if you have him from a calf. You really have a strange perception of reality I would even go so far to say you are delusional about the reality of a lot of farming outside suckler or better bred stock.

I have noticed this about people who ever only see the problem not the solution it's not the fittest, strongest or the most environmentally conscious that survives it's those willing to adapt.

West coast farmers always have long winters, however they have range, sucklers actually work on western hill farms especially if you have a larger holding and integrate them into a system with sheep where they are used to to graze down the finnane ( course mountain/ blanket bog grass) and heather's. However they will not be continental type cattle along with organic and the now averaged payments you are on a winner.

It prevent forestry as well.

Slava Ukrainii

I don’t pump my stock with meal. I have said it many times, the only future I see in beef farming is feed efficient stock. Even if meal is cheap the labour and time involved in dishing it out is never factored in.

If you can make a profit on freisians at 30 months with say 300 kg meal then fair play to you.

I agree with you on the most willing to adapt that survive that’s why I believe in more focused approach that reduces methane in the active herd and also promotes forestry and other alternatives on marginal land.

Perhaps the ifa are against a reduction scheme in principle as they know that ultimately dairy lads will be forced down the same path and because they want to maintain members.

I agree entirely both of the off spring of that organisation could not see the from the wood from the trees.

It's was the vocal minority that ruled. I remember in one unionised place I worked in if there was anything really contentious that need to be voted on the chairman and secretary used to have a secret ballot. As Tommy said the silent majority always spoke then.

Slava Ukrainii

It’s burps not farts.

Like I said before. If you can’t make a margin in the current market in your “finishing enterprise”, well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Fully agree with you that 24 month finishing is less environmentally friendly.

Moderate to low stocking rate, finishing off grass at 30 mth with next to no meal fed, is by far the most environmentaly efficient as well as most profitable (or least loss-making!) for the farmer.

The reason they claim 24 month indoor finishing is better, is that the full emissions from the grain grown for the meal that's fed are not counted against our national inventory.

To me (with the exception of Angus heifers etc) the only beneficiary from this push for 24 month finishing is the factory.

Do you use any meal? What month do you target?

What month do you send your cattle to the factory and how much meal would you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

June to October. Just good grass and zero meal the last two years. Couldn't justify it.

• Advertisement

You are obessesed with dates and when cattle are finished. You are obessesed with what ration is fed.... mainly because you are obessesed with production.

It's immaterial, as I pointed out in an earlier post you cannot see outside your own system.

Grass and 6-10 weeks ration on a grass based system forget about age whether it 20 months or 40.

It's about profit and that depends on the animal

It's a bit like a Mayo supporter explaining why Leroy Keegan was a great footballer but every time he rattles his biscuit tin and no matter how loud it sound he hears a hollow sound.

Slava Ukrainii

Fair enough. Lads work the system that works for them.

If lads want to keep bullocks well over 30 months and can make a margin, go for it. I can see how it would work if it was pure grass etc.

If a lads wants to put cattle back in for a third winter go for it.

Ultimately there probably will be a scheme to reduce numbers. Lads kidding themselves that it will lead to some kind of boom in beef prices are kidding themselves though. Also, in my opinion the New Zealand approach around methane reduction in the active herd is better than the one in the Netherlands.

I amnt a big Gaelic football man. I prefer hurling and soccer but from my understanding he was a great player and had a good career. Does he have sucklers or something or is everyone getting a slice now?

It's was an old joke about Nicholas Murphy rattling the tin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Murphy#%3A%7E%3Atext%3DNicholas_Murphy_%28born_23_April%2Cteam_between_1998_and_2012.?wprov=sfla1

If Keegan had the choice he swop all the medals he has for that Celtic Cross.

Keegan had 5 All Star's and a National league. Murphy had the reverse but a CC as well.

Close but no cigar in Keegan case, Winner Winner chicken dinner in Murphy case

It's just a Carnival

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Everyone benefits from 24 month finishing: factories, hauliers, feed merchants, marts. Just not the farmer or the climate.

The argument around earlier finishing is vulgar and shows how this climate thing is not actually going to be tackled at all, just vested interests pushing there angle to increase power and profitability. In most areas where they are pushing the reduce emissions etc, they are actually making things much worse if you look at things on a global scale.

Well he got the final maybe four times and put it up to Dublin a county with a million to pick from

There are 76 currently in the 6 counties, to meet target they'll need another 70 by 2030.

Across the rest of the country 200 doesn't sound excessive.

That's pretty much my entire knowledge of the sector.

• Advertisement

Close but no cigar

Edit: I forgot ''trying was for hen's''

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement