Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭con747

The batteries can power the house 2 ways, one is with a double socket attached to the EPS (emergency power supply) if the inverter has one or with a change over switch to power a few low load circuits.

I have a double socket beside my Solis inverter but I am getting a change over switch fitted soon due to a lot of power cuts where I live.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jkforde

it's well doable if the inverter has a 'backup' port to which you attach the suitable cable to a fused socket(s). (there's lots of guidance on here about how to go about it but because the search function on boards is so poxy, you can't search within a forum or thread like this one.)

(@Jonathan , maybe a sticky post for this one - "common configuration\setup-no discussion" type thing?)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

Thanks for the quick update con. Would you be able to pm the details of the switch and I can get my reci friend to do it..that would be really handy cheers

There is a paragraph on it in the FAQ's sticky.

• Advertisement

Sorry where can I find that...tks

very first post in this forum

1. inverter powers 1 or 2 sockets via a backup connection using battery alone.
    2. backup option similar to above but is instead connected to a sub board, powering say 3-4 essential circuits.
    3. full consumer unit (but owner must ensure not to use more than panels+battery can supply) in this setup a manual changeover switch disconnects consumer unit from grid thus inverter backup supplying power to all house citcuits. This will typically also open the fireman switches to the panels thus allowing PV charge battery and supply house.

• Advertisement

Hi guys has anyone bought any decent oil/glass/convector heaters recently that they would recommend.

Handy for the March April months to switch on/off remotely.

Lidl have a oil filled rad for sale this week 44.99.

Cheers

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Check Adverts/Done Deal. Usually lots of them going cheap there. Reduce, reuse, recycle etc.

Will do cheers

Probably look at oil (slow release of heat)

A few of us here bought infrared heaters lately, they work well if just for an office or heating you up in a room. Nearly instant heat and just heats objects not the air. I bought a couple of these in different sizes.https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09QBR3NZW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I find them fairly good for my needs and use them with smart plugs. I used a tv bracket for 1 and mounted it on a wall so I can pull it out and position it where needed to heat. The other I mounted on a ceiling over the kitchen table.

With Amazon you can try it out and just send it back if you don't like it so just keep the box!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I bought a 1kW one on amazon and it was absolutely crap. Sat 1m in front of it for 20 minutes and barely felt the warmth.

Starting to think it was just a dud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Yeah I tried one a while back as well, not impressed, sent back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭DC999

I've one infrared heater and very happy with it. I’ve one for the WFH room and I like it. For me it’s more comfortable than other forms of heating including oil filled electric rad. It heats me, not the air. They really supplement heating, not replace it. Start from around €120 euro for the basic ones, more depending on the wattage and bells and whistles.

Uses a little less electricity than an oil filled electric rad in the WFH room. It’s a cold room with old windows that doesn’t see any solar gain and loses a lot of heat. Means I don’t need the room to be as warm as I’m in the line of the heat. And drafts don’t affect it. I can even open the window a crack and still be warm – which takes getting used to 😊

I got a 350W one and it’s fine. That’s likely on the small size for some but ok for me as it’s on the wall close to me.

Mine is on or off only, can’t adjust the wattage. But it does turn off when reaches the temp you set. Thermostat on it is a very crude. It’s not the temp it thinks it the sensor is on the side of it (so it’s hotter than the room). But once you work out the ‘offset’ it’s ok. I wanted a small wattages one as have solar but no battery so wanted to use the solar excess for heating.

They work for places you stand or sit at – as in you’re not moving so in the line of the heat. Only other place we could use one would be the sitting room. But would need to be roof mounted over the sofa due to the room setup. That’s the most efficient setup some manufactures suggest, but need to run a cable down the wall to a socket or get a spark to add a spur.

Some have them in the bathroom to replace the mirror over the sink. But that wouldn’t heat our shower area, so no gain for us there.

I got some oil filled electric rads in summer on donedeal, but likely won't find much on it at this time of year. Worth a check though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I have a 300w one sitting 1m from my desk and it's perfect for eliminating slight nips in the air when hands cold but body warm

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I think with the infrared panels if you sit there waiting to feel warm and staring at it they don't feel like their working! My O/H would be sitting down on the sofa and mention she feels a chill and without saying anything I would turn it on via the smart plug app and she says no more. I found it the same, if you turn it on and forget about it you just feel warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭paulbok

I have a couple of electric convection heaters in my home office setup (a converted shed with 2 offices, store entrance hall/kitchenette and wc). Electric was the only feasible option for heating.

For the two offices, I got 2 Warmer smart heaters and control them on Home Assistant for timers. The WC has a towel rail heater controlled using a Shelly relay, the hallway a basic small heater again on a relay and the same in the storeroom but I've never had to switch that on as the PV inverter and all my main comms/ switches are in there and are enough to keep it warm enough to avoid any damp.

I insulted the sh1t out of all 6 sides of the shed when renovating so that makes a huge difference, it doesn't take a lot to keep it warm. The heating was accidentally off for a couple of days during the recent icy weather and the rooms never dropped below 13°c .

Having said all that, if those 2 main Warmer heaters ever pack up, I will look at replacing with oil filled heaters to take advantage of surplus PV in spring and autumn and when I eventually get forced into a smart meter and hopefully have a night rate to use.

• Advertisement

Couldn't help it 🤣 "I insulted the sh1t out of all 6 sides of the shed" 😂

Puredrive batteries made in UK (really manufactured in China)

I wonder is there an exact like for like one that we can import. I've looked over the past couple of weeks and found similar. But I'm wondering are they compatible with my current puredrive batteries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

From what I could find they're Victron components inside with the batteries e.g. for BMS or inverter on the AC models. Not sure where the batteries are from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Hi all,

this may be a dumb question, but can anyone explain why I am seeing this ? Why am I pushing anything to the grid when my battery isnt full. Can the battery not just discharge at the rate to make up the difference between the solar gen and house consumption ? thanks

Edit : I forgot you couldnt seem the direction in the snapshot ! Anyway, I am pushing TO the grid as well as drawing from solar and battery.

remember that the Solis display is just a 5min snapshot, better to check the graphs for a more representative history.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭samdeluxjones

Has anyone connected a second charge source to their batteries with Solis hybrid inverter and what was the outcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭samdeluxjones

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

To the batteries directly or another grid tied inverter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭DC999

Hey, put an energy meter on it and see if it's drawing 1kW. If it is, then it's gotta be putting the heat out into the room. And you'll feel heat from it if you put your hand in front. Wouldn't be able to touch it without it feeling hot.

Is it line of sight? My 300W one is maybe 0.5m from me and I'd know it was on. Gets too hot at times and I point it at the wall and it 'reflects' back and me and that's heat enough.

The display on my one isn't great. Hard to tell if on or not. Mine has a temp setting on the side, maybe that's set too low on yours so it won't come on?

Advertisement