Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,252 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Whilst I've little or no time for PK and he definitely is looking for his next crusade, there does need to be a little context.

The interview took place back in September. The Steve Thompson story (a former team mate of Rowntree's) was very much in the media; the BBC announced the documentary around then. Caelen Doris publicly discussed his concussion issues in September too. The summer had seen the announcement of the legal cases for several players. Ryan Jones had announced his issues in July.

It was Brendan Fanning who publicly revealed the row. Kimmage didn't actually publish it at the time. Kimmage is a plonker using it as a vehicle now though for his own agenda.

I think that the question was fair game in a 2 hour interview and Rowntree was equally entitled to say he's not talking about it and move on. It's a fairly odd exchange between them overall, to be honest. Absolute storm in a teacup.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That's very poor from a professional Journalist.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,542 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

My bad then, I don't read the sindo and I only heard the piece being read out on the Monday night rugby on otb. Maybe it was an assumption on my part that it was a recent PK interview and that section was included in it by PK.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Kimmage has that special skill of pursuing an issue you fundamentally agree with, but with such a distasteful zeal and manner that you're tempted to flip to the opposite stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭phog

There probably isn't a rugby coach or player in Ireland now that will meet Kimmage after this story. Why would they? He's bitten off his nose to spite his face.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Leamy has said in today press conference that Munster are not signing Malcolm Marx.

Confirmed today by Munster that there is nothing in that rumour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

I think Kimmage started out with good intentions but his perspective seems to have become warped.

Rugby is a sport that is absolutely susceptible to abuse by participants taking performance enhancers but so much of the game is technical and skill based that the risk / reward is far lower than it would be for a sport like cycling.

I've seen the weekly schedule, fitness, conditioning and lifting targets for professional rugby players - they're very accessible and there is no obvious need to dope to achieve what is expected.

Whilst acknowledging that there is clearly a problematic culture in (for example) South Africa - I don't think the use of PED's is all that widespread within the sport generally speaking.

As for head injury, Rowntree is a coach - he's not a neurologist, Kimmage was quite out of order both in terms of trying to create a headline, but also engaging a non expert as an authority in something that is highly complex.

He's moved far beyond journalism and into the realm of witch hunting at this stage sadly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Kimmage is a bit of a gobdaw - he got famous for hunting down drugs cheats years ago and is still high on the fumes of his own s****

• Registered Users Posts: 5,941 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I'm no fan of Kimmage but not sure what he's actually done wrong in this instance.

The game on Saturday will be on RTE2 for anyone that doesn't have BT Sport

I don't necessarily have a problem with him asking the question in the context of a 2 hour interview - largely for the reasons @Buer articulated above (Steve Thompson etc).

But he has to recognise that Rowntree is well within his rights to not have any interest in discussing it.

I think what he's done wrong in this instance, is include the excerpt in the published piece. In fact, of the whole 2 hour time they spoke, this 5-10 min snapshot has become the only piece getting discussed since.

I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that Kimmage secured this interview under false pretexts, and that the real target of the piece was to get some controversial comments (either way, anything GR said on this would have been a headline for Kimmage) and spin that. And to me, that's shoddy journalism.

I think he's attempting to do what he's done successfully in the past of making it appear that once again here's crusading Paul Kimmage trying to get to the truth, and the rugby old boy's network are out there being defensive and practicing the culture of omerta again, which, I think is bullshit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Munster v Northampton at Thomond Park, seems only good and proper to post this, complete with Michael Corcoran's 100,000 phases.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

And did it again the following week over in Castres as well too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

"The squad are set to meet for a camp in Verona between January 22-27..."

Benetton will surely be missing a lot of players if they will be in camp all week leading up to our next URC match with them on the 28th.

I make out the following is the list of Benetton players in the Italian squad for the 2023 Six Nations:

Forwards: Simone Ferrari, Federico Zani, Giacomo Nicotera, Niccolò Cannone, Federico Ruzza, Lorenzo Cannone, Michele Lamaro, Sebastian Negri, Giovanni Pettinelli, Manuel Zuliani.

Backs: Alessandro Garbisi, Giacomo Da Re, Juan Ignacio Brex, Tommaso Menoncello, Matteo Minozzi, Edoardo Padovani.

Benetton being at home, and the training base being a little over an hour away might mean less disruption perhaps, but I don’t know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

First choice Italy players won't be released back to them. And the camp is 6 days long ending the day before the match, so any players who might be released wont be able to train with Benetton the week of the match.

I don’t know what injuries they have within their squad, but aside from the Benetton players in the national squad, they still have a decent team, some foreign players in key positions and a few names that I recognise so may be former internationals. I must look up their team that beat Ulster and see how many of them would be available.

We’ll be missing a few too of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Cheers, hadn't copped that. Set to record now.

RTE has one match each weekend of the HCC pool games and as Munster & Leinster play at home in alternative weekends they'll show the Munster & Leinster home matches.

I'm not sure what happens once we go into knockout rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 9,104 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'd presume RTE will have one game per round and will be following Leinster in the Knockouts. They will probably have access to the final as well no matter who is in it

Also Gloucester V Leinster is on ITV on Saturday for anybody interested

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

What position will Ruadhan Quinn end up playing? I think I read he played 8 in schools and I believe he has come on at flanker for Munster. Seems to have serious weight/condition for someone so young.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Played 8 at age grade but that wouldnt necessariy mean much. put your best option at 8 at age grade even if it wont be there position later. hard to say about his position when you consider other options Munster have. Will likely move between 6/8 a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Not sure to many of thr young back rows will be tied down to one spot,

Kendellan 6,7,8

Hodnett 6,7

Quinn 6,8

Okeke seems loke an out and out 8 and iv been told edogbos younger brother is but haven't seen him play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

From the small amount I’ve seen of Quinn, he seems to carry in similar channels to Hodnett. Obviously, fairly small sample.

Advertisement