Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor saorview aerial possible? Fermoy

• 01-01-2023 9:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

At the in-laws outside fermoy cork and set up an amiko mini hd box for them. All good on the satellite front but no saorview aerial. Would there be any sense trying an indoor aerial or would a rooftop aerial be only option? I've tried the saorview signal checker and it says either mitchelstown or fermoy transmitter.

Thanks,

Mick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,595 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Impossible to say sitting on the other side of the internet because the signal where you locate the aerial will be specific to that location.

How far away is the house from the Fermoy transmitter, transmitter power, any natural obstructions between the house and transmitter?

If the Fermoy transmitter is near enough but probably on low power it might be worth testing an indoor or basic outdoor contract aerial in the attic.

Iirc the Saorview coverage checker data is modelled on an external aerial mounted 10m agl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭micks_address

Thank you for the reply. Are the likes of these aerials any use?

This is what the saorview checker gives me based on eircode

I should also say they have an aerial that brings in saorview in another room from the roof but it's not feasible to easily run a cable from it to the room with the amiko box and they don't want the cost of getting someone to run a other cable from the rooftop aerial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,303 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Mitchelstown is 500 Watts, Fermoy 50 Watts, both low power.

Another version of the coverage map can be seen on this site. As Cush says, coverage maps are based on having an external aerial. Only way to find out is to try an indoor one to see if it works. If there are nearby neighbours, they might have some knowledge.

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Fermoy

This is probably a daft question but would an indoor aerial have a better chance of working given there's already an aerial on the roof? Can an indoor aerial grab signal from the roof aerial?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,303 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Probably the opposite, depending on who did the installation. If an indoor aerial was sufficient, there would be no need for one on the roof. The indoor one will only get whatever signal is coming into the room, not the roof. Moving it around while looking at the signal quality menu would be the usual way of seeing what location in the room is best, if there is enough signal.

Check the menu to see what channel numbers are being received from the roof signal, to confirm which transmitter. And the menu to see the signal quality and strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

That advert is rubbish and should be pulled. The laws or physics and the curvature of the earth do not allow an aerial to receive UHF signals 480kM away.

It is not possible to quote aerial performance by distance as there are so many variables, transmitter power, local obstructions, height, you name it.

A new cable doesn't have to be run back to the roof.

Would it be possible to run a cable from the existing TV point to the new TV point or from somewhere else along the existing cable run? A small amplifier might be required to give the signal a boost to the new TV point.

No.

The aerial on the roof is just a passive receiving aerial that intercepts the transmitted signal and sends it down a cable.

Thanks folks, I don't mind buying an indoor aerial for them and trying it the next time we visit which won't be for a month or so anyway. What indoor aerial would give the best chance of success? I don't think there's anywhere local open today I'd get an aerial to try.

Cheers,

Mick

Post edited by micks_address on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

If you have a TV with signal strength information on the tuning pages and you are able to find a coax plug and cable, connect the cable to the plug and on the opposite end strip out and separate the inner cable and the braid.

The braid and inner needs to be at right angles to the cable, like a cross without the top bit and about 11 cm each. You will find it easier if you tape these "dipoles" to someting none metallic such as a 22cm length of dowel.

This is a basic 1/4 wave dipole and will indicate some king of signal if any indoor aerial stands a chance. It is not as presentable as the stuff you see on Ebay, but will work.

You will need to rotate and move it to find a signal assuming there is one available. Invite a few friends, the procedure can provide a lot of amusement for onlookers :-)

After years in the TV trade, I can honestly say that although I saw quite a few being used in the UK, very few indoor aerials gave a watchable performance in the analogue days. My city had a local UHF TV repeater too and I worked within fifteen or so miles of its location.

The odd one or two customers seemed to have success with a coathanger pushed into the aerial socket, which technically was too big for UHF and had no proper ground plane, but you can never apply hard and fast rules when it comes to signal propagation where there are many obstacles and reflective surfaces.

The other thing to bear in mind with indoor aerials is that most are designed to attract customers and not a signal. The other point is, there is no such thing as a digital aerial, just in case you are swayed by the technical advertising.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Thanks won't get to try that today. Might just see if I can find an installer locally and pay them to sort it out. Feels like indoor option be flaky at best. Hopefully won't cost a lot to run a cable from an existing aerial setup.

Thanks for all the replies,

Mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭sham58107

Got one of these, thought smaller and only about 20 euro from Amazon ,(cant do link sorry ),for TV in back bedroom ,works perfectly for all saorview channels and option to plug into usb on TV ,so no power outlet needed, I am in Meath so may be nearer to transmitter ,but as I said no problems at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭Buffman

Just FYI OP I've successfully used an outdoor saorview aerial in the attic in the past where for various reasons people didn't want it on the roof.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Cheers folks back in Dublin now. I might buy one from Amazon and try on our own TV. Have a aerial on the roof but be interesting to see if it would work.

Reviews of the one I linked to seem good on Amazon but looks overpriced. If was my own house would get it done to roof aerial but older folks can be bit peculiar about these things.. they'd rather go without the channels than have someone out to sort it but if I can get an indoor solution they don't care.

Anyone have recommended buy for 'best' indoor aerial if that's even a thing?

What happens in Dublin has no bearing on what will happen in Cork. Different transmitter, different channels, different signal levels etc.

As I said the one you linked to:

"That advert is rubbish and should be pulled. The laws or physics and the curvature of the earth do not allow an aerial to receive UHF signals 480kM away.

It is not possible to quote aerial performance by distance as there are so many variables, transmitter power, local obstructions, height, you name it."

If it had good reviews they are fake. Did any of them receive stations 480kM away?

If you must try an indoor aerial get a Telecam TCE2000. DON'T get the amplified version.

Seems like telecam are discontinued? Also why not amplified?

Our house in Dublin is about the same distance from kippure that they are from the transmitter in cork. I know won't be great comparison but curious if it would even work

Thanks,

Mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

Aerial in the attic will work fine. You could also add a masthead amplifier to send a 12V signal to improve reception in a weak signal area.

Something like this....https://www.freetv.ie/saorview/amplifiers/

• Advertisement

It might be worth having a sticky or something on indoor aerials and advice on where they might/not work in general. I've ordered one to try in my own house and will see how it goes. If it works ill try in the inlaws whenever im down again.. i know it might work in my house and not there.. but will give it a go anyway. Thanks for all the replies and advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭cml387

Just FYI the Fermoy booster is located close to the old railway station

OK in that case go for an Antiference Silver Sensor.

Amplifiers are designed to overcome the loss on a long run of coax downlead which you don't have on an indoor aerial.

On an indoor aerial they are a waste of time, money, and electricity. They will just amplify all the local noise so you get louder noise and no improvement of s/n ratio.

Hi folks,

Just a follow up on this.

I purchased this from Amazon

Before I seen the link for the other ones..tried it in my house in Dublin.. yes I know it's not fermoy.. picked up signal that looks pretty strong if placed in the right position. If I turn off the amplifier it picks up nothing.

Cheers,

Mick

That is because a switched off amplifier passes nothing, not that it proves it is required. The test is to bypass the amplifier. 49dB is a ridiculous amount of gain for an amp, think of all that local noise amplified bu 49dB. Oh and there is no such thing as a digital antenna.

That looks like SKY news you're watching. If it is then it's not Saorview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Sky News has been on Saorview for a couple of years now.

• Advertisement

tried it by passing the amplifier - you can plug the aeriel directly into the tv.. and i can get some reception but it breaks up.. the amplifier is having some positive effect.. ultimately i need to test this in cork which i might not be there again for 6 months so who knows! curious if the antiference would be better or worse or the same.. sans amplifier but different design

Advertisement