Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Improvers Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

You did very well.

My year went very well too.

Took my HM PB from 1:53:04 to 1:45:25 in Cork in June and to 1:43:05 In Waterford at the start of September.

After the Cork Half I decided to concentrate on Dublin and try and get sub 4. I had planned to do the Kerry Way Ultra Lite in September too but Keep the Main Thing the Main Thing is ingrained in me from Boards so I deferred that and gave Dublin my all and took my PB from 4:03:04 to 3:45:58.

I then took 1 min 3 seconds off my 5Km PB on November 20th going from 23:37 to 22:34. That was just on the back of marathon training and had hoped to take another few seconds off in the Togher 5Km on the 27th December but unlikely now as have a few niggles going on with my hip and achilles and now a head cold so the specific training I’d planned hasn’t happened. My body needs a rest.

Next years targets are to PB over all distances on the way to hopefully taking a substantial amount off my marathon PB again. I’m working hard on strength work again, will tighten up nutrition in January and get back to running properly then too hopefully. There’s a few 10 milers In February and March and my 10 mile PB is very soft. I’d love to know what I’m really capable of marathon wise. I’m registered for Dublin and don’t intend doing a marathon before September to really work on speed and base and Dublin isn’t the most ideal for the best PB but not sure if I should pick another. Plenty time to decide that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KC_Kop

Just about consider myself a potential Marathon Improver…

Im not as fast as the majority of you who post on this thread but I’m looking to go sub 4 in a Marathon this year. Had hoped Dublin last October would be the one I did it in but it just went all wrong on me in a few ways, both self inflicted and circumstances beyond my control even before the race. Anyways I finished with in 4:26 and was just glad to get to finish by the end of it.

Looking forward to giving this thread a proper read from start to finish over the next day or so and hopefully pick up some tips.

Best of luck. I only went sub 4 this year but this thread is for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Yes everyone welcome in this thread.

First day of Manchester Marathon training yesterday. Have a long road back, put on a fair bit of weight since DCM.

Head still not really in the game, the mental health hasn’t been great the last while. Hopefully a bit of consistency in the training will sort me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,047 ✭✭✭✭event

DCM was a disaster for most last year so don't be too hard on yourself.

I'm currently suffering from the flu that's going around or COVID, not sure which. Once it clears I'll get back out

• Advertisement

Thanks Kelly,Finn and event.

Yeah Dublin seemed to go wrong for a lot of people I know also. Strange.

Currently weighing up options for a Marathon. Got the usual PFO for London. Was taking maybe Manchester.

There’s a Manchester Marathon thread set up here as well as a Sub 4 thread somewhere that has some very good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Unknownability

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sub-4 thread is here: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057865918/the-sub-4-support-thread/p1

Although marathon performances tend to improve quite dramatically as you develop as a runner, achieving a big marathon goal, especially after running one that went wrong, is often about facing up to any weaknesses that might have been in your approach previously (e.g. training at unsustainable paces, lack of mileage, poor nutrition and hydration etc etc.). These are all things that the Improvers Thread and the Sub-4 thread can help with.

Good luck!

Yeah so I’ve heard. Weighing up my options, will need to decide quick if I’m going to do Manchester though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

If you're looking for Sub 4 I'd have a look at the Graduates thread. The Grads plan would be perfect for you in my opinion. It's properly structured and will definitely improve you.

Anyone else watching Stephen Scullions videos on YouTube lately? Some brilliant content imo.

The video yesterday about running steady in training was brilliant. Love how he explains how it’s ok to run in the so called ‘grey zone’ that we hear so much bad press about. It’s training not jogging that gets you results as he says himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭marathon2022

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I watched that and I suppose I was a little confused as it goes against the training I have been doing recently which tends to be lots of easy running and then some speed work. Is there probably a factor here that need to be considered in that you would have to have built a good aerobic base first before introducing steady runs and even then with the steady runs you might be looking at once per week with the majority still being easy paced? Also would tempo workouts and steady run not be similar in nature?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Tempo would be considerably faster (although tempo is defined differently by different coaches).

Lydiard's base training incorporates lots of steady work. Most marathon plans do too I'd say. The Hansons long run is at steady pace, for example. But yeah, I'd say once or twice a week is plenty for steady work.

I think he is saying don’t get caught in a trap of running everything easy and not to be afraid of the ‘grey’ zone.

I don’t think he is saying don’t run easy, he did mention about recovery and going easy also.

Im not a fan of running easy on top of easy on top of easy, it’s grand like you say if you are base building or want to just finish a Marathon (nothing wrong with that) but when going for a specific goal you need to train not jog as he says. For Marathon training I prefer quality over quantity, it’s what works for me the best.

As for a tempo run is… how long is a piece of string? To me tempo pace currently is Marathon pace, to others it’s between 10k and Half Marathon pace, call it 15km pace if you will. I think people get mixed up between Tempo and Threshold pace which are different imo.

He says Steady runs should be slower than Marathon pace but faster than Easy run pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jlang

Advice is good and enjoying his videos but there seems to be a mismatch between his joggingroom sales pitch and then scaling off his paces.

His defn of steady pace is 20% slower than his marathon pace which might be reasonable at 5/6 mins per mile but he's a marathon pro. If my marathon pace is around 8min/mile for a 3:30 time, previously I'd have just described that as "steady" and be delighted to just hold that for marathon duration. 20% slower again seems to be well up into easy territory. I'm not sure how much easier he thinks my easy easy then needs to get - as I can feel form disappearing at 10+ min/mile.

Probably just means my MP should be faster to circle round to his pace scaling.

Yes, I wouldn’t get too caught up in percentages. If you have a good handle of your paces and you know your Marathon Pace and Easy paces, just go somewhere in between if you want to do a steady state run.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Hey folks, quick question.... hopefully...

Im running Donadea on the 12Feb and I'm doing Boston in April.

Has anyone got a good idea of a plan I can fit in for the 9 weeks between the two races ? Maybe keeping the volume up or with some sessions etc.

My last few plans have been Hal Higdon via the app, including my current 50km plan.

My last marathon (other than long training runs) was Dublin in October and I ran 3:48 in that. I'd like to do better in Boston if I could , buts it's not my priority.

Any and all advice is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭py

Just something to consider. You're likely going to need 2 weeks recovery (conservative) after Donadea and then a taper of 2-3 weeks for Boston. That leaves you with 4-5 weeks of training. I would not expect too much from that short training block other than to keep things ticking over after Donadea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Ahh haaa..you are right. Silly me, I had considered the taper for Boston in that 9 weeks but not the recovery for Donadea. Although I was in pretty good shape and well rested a week after Donadea last year.

Yeah, maybe just keep the volume up and not go crazy. Like you said, I won't really be able to make any real gains to my current time in such a short period.

Thank you. I appreciate the input.

Another brilliant video from Scullion on YouTube today.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 turfman1

I’ve been enjoying his videos, love the obvious passion he has for the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Just started to watch him this weekend very interesting character .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Hoping to improve on my marathon time this year . I’m still on the sub 4 train - have did three marathons none of them pleasant .

Florence 2009 - 4:34 . Was on the tail end of a chest infection I couldn’t shake - retrospectively I think I was actually stressed by the whole thing as do wanted to get under 4:30. A Great course though for a pb - a giant downhill at start that you never go back up .

Berlin 2016 . 4:27 Overtrained for this one in effort as opposed to miles - did everything at top effort . Ended up walking for a lot of it and easy pace was silly hard . Diagnosed with a virus in my thyroid straight after . Berlin though would recommend - unreal atmosphere and vibes !

Dublin 2019: 4:05 loved the training felt very strong and fit . It didn’t come together on the day for whatever reason but gave me the confidence i can go under 4.

I'm just back running properly after a two year dossing period - hoping to do DCM .

Maybe we need to start a new sub 4 hour thread ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Gah, plan was to race Amsterdam but I stupidly left it too late and it's sold out. Feck.

Furiously googling here and Lisbon seems attractive. Has anyone ran it? Any feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Are you sure Amsterdam is sold out this early for an October marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Yeah, I don't think it sold out last year so would be surprised.

Regarding Lisbon, it's a very hilly city so can't imagine it's the fastest course.

• Advertisement

Just had a look there and Amsterdam marathon registration still very much open.

Advertisement