Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I find this the most dangerous time for over eating, so much stuff left in the cupboards and the willpower shot from Christmas. I need some serious injection of willpower and I need it now 😂.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Early January has a real Pancake Tuesday vibe with all the leftover eating! 🥞

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yep. Still making my way through quality street and after eights at the moment 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭gidget

Cheers for the well wishes.

Have made a start on a new CV, as had ditched my last one ages ago, trying to gather all the info & dates again.

Just a case of taking it all in, as only got notified out of the blue yesterday of a meeting today with very cryptic info. Thinking on it now since, I reckon they were getting ready to inform us before Christmas & probably thought to themselves "nah wait until after to break the news".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Thursday already, this week seems to be going marginally quicker than last week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

A firm I previously worked for announced redundancies in time for the people to finish up on the day we broke up for christmas. To say it was a bleak run up was an understatement, with a real resentment setting in for many. The rest of us in reality had been given a 6 month stay of execution and I was told of my redundancy the day I returned to the office after my honeymoon, knowing at the time we had a baby on the way (which ultimately ended up being twins) made it all the harder to take at the time. So I suppose the moral is, definitely get yourself a fresh new CV (in fact tailor them for specific applications if you can) and start looking as widespread redundancies rarely stop with one round.

best of luck!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Most definitely! I'm 50:50 between trying to eat all the treats, to 'get rid of them' and trying to not eat any treats and be healthy. I'm hoping one will balance out the other...

I'm slowly (very slowly!) weaning myself off the treats.

That's some wind out there, stay safe if you out and about.

How is it only Thursday? Feels like March 3rd or something.... 😭

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I know!

I can't believe it's still only mid Februar... oh. 😖

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yep we are all in the crapper together that is January haha

Live scenes!! I’m almost at the end of the treats now. And I’m not a quitter 😂

Sounds like me! Two tubs of Quality Street, half a pack of mince pies, some Christmas cake and pudding, and one mini Stollen that I have been saving. I might eat it on Rudolph Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sebastian.Fahrner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

TGIF! Honestly has been the longest week...I feel jaded and it's only the first full week back! Hope the wind wasn't too bad with everyone. It was wild here, lots of trees & telephone wires down.

Roll on the weekend!

Hope all OK there CL, wind was pretty wild here last night. Didn't notice any major trees down etc when out dropping kids off earlier so we might have missed the worst of it.

OH's cousins from the States are back in Dublin Monday so staying with us for a few days before they head home. I don't mind them staying at all however the house will need another clean, spare bed changed etc so will be a busy enough weekend. After doing the decorations all last weekend, can't seem to catch a break at the minute re relaxing weekends!

Tell you what, the mountain of washing in ours is unrelenting. Getting stuff dried is the major disruption at the moment, oh for some sunny breezy days to allow us get through most of it. But hear you on the lack of 'relax' time. Even this weekend we've GAA pre season meetings & 2 birthday party's for the kids to attend... all go at ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

Just back from 4 days in Disneyland Paris. Still have some Christmas treats but also recovering from buffets so not sure what to do, although I suspect we'll polish some off over the weekend. But the healthy eating needs to start soon - despite the 125,000 steps.

• Advertisement

That wind was wild last night. Thankfully no damage done, that I could see anyway. Typically, today was brown bin day, it can get collected any time from 7:30, so I had to leave the bin out last night. I had visions of the bin, and its contents, flying down the road during the night. It was almost right where I left it this morning, so no picking up food scraps this morning. Phew!

We had green bin day yesterday and unfortunately saw a few blew over and paper/cardboard blowing all over the road. Was in the car so couldn't stop to pick them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

This - the state of our utility room is giving me serious anxiety. I just can't seem to get to the bottom of it. I've two baskets that need to be folded and put away, two clothes horses up in the kitchen with clothes waiting on a brief spin in the dryer, a wash in the machine waiting to go out & somehow, the dirty clothes basket is still overflowing! At this point, there must surely be lodgers in our house that I have yet to meet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

The power went to the whole village last night for a few hours.So glad that I buy a lot of candles!I had to made a sandwich for dinner surrounded by tea lights like some 1800's person.

It meant my couch to 5k session was cancelled as there were no floodlights!I didn't even bring the dogs out for a walk because I wouldn't have been able to see where I was walking without street lights. We've only got farms past my estate so it was properly dark, first time since I've moved out of Dublin that I've had this happen.

This was my first week back to work and I'm delighted it's drawing to an end. I'm off next Monday and Thursday and I've a day off every week till the 13th if February so I'm looking forward to the shorter weeks. December was manic so I'll take it while I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Hope everyone's well!

Little one and I met up with a friend and her baby for breakfast this morning...I had pancakes 😁 New Year's diet can start next Thursday. It's my birthday on Wednesday so we'll be going for dinner and all I've asked hubby for is a chocolate fudge cake 😂

I hear you guys about the busyess...it's just non stop! Bought storage during the week so planning on doing a big tidy up over the weekend.

@gidget so sorry to hear about your job. Hopefully there's something even better for you just around the corner!!

Enjoy the sunshine all...now why didn't I put that washing machine on last night, tis a great day for the drying 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Happy Friday everyone

I haven’t got on here this week trying to keep on top of things at home

thank god it’s dry today the rain as been so miserable this week, got out for a walk this morning, trying to eat a little healthier I need to plan better, lunches are my downfall it leads to picking, food shop tomorrow so I better get planning and allow for the bad weather expected next week

I love pancakes @jellybear a lovely treat

@gidget sorry to hear about your job

I’m with you washing is never ending I’ve a line of towels out drying 😂

We have free electricity on Saturdays so it's a wash, dry, fold day for everything in the house - it's a lifesaver.

• Advertisement

We're with electric Ireland. The normal daily rate is a little higher but we have solar pv's and solar thermals so our usage form the grid is a bit lower in general so it works for us.

Advertisement