Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post or Avant Credit Cards Currently which is best to sign up with in 2023.

• 12-01-2023 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

So got letter in the door to say my Ulster Bank Visa and Mastercard would stop working in March. I've switched to AIB and have an AIB Visa Credit Card but don't offer Mastercard, I would like to have another Mastercard and from what I can see my choices are An Post or Avant.

I won't have any outstanding balances to transfer across to the new card.

An Post seem to have two offerings The Classic looks like the APR is 22.9% and Flex which is 15%APR, also seems to have something extra about big purchases and installment plans if needed.

Avant also have two offerings One Card 22.9% APR. 0% on purchases for 3 months (not sure how that works). Reward+ Card 22.9% 100 euro cash back if you spend 500 euros each month for first 3 months (which I'm not sure I will do) plus 25% interest refund which again I normally pay off my cards every month.

Other considerations are apps or online site to check your spending. Good support if a fraudulent transaction is spotted and timely resolution on the issues.

All advise and experiences with both greatly appreciated. I got most of info above from switchers.ie.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OrangeLavender

I have the Avant reward + card and found it easy to apply for and the app/online portal does the job in terms of checking spending. One thing - doesn't have Google pay so I use curve to tap my phone for payments and point it towards the credit card. Out of curiosity - what is the benefit of having mastercard and visa instead of one or two of the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I have an Avant Credit Card since last September, the app worked great for a while but I no longer get any spending notifications on it and the crashes when I try to pay my CC bill, leaving me to log on to their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Romero

Just allows me to budget better when say buying online rather then all purchases coming off the Visa card, I don't have big expenditure just like having options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Bojill

Fyi The an post credit card is run by avantcard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Q&A

A second credit card will attract additional stamp duty of €30.

If it's flexibility you're looking for would a higher credit limit be a better option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

After the last Avant app update these notifications turned off. You just need to login to the app and find in the settings where to turn on the notifications again. It took me two attempt to find as it's slightly hidden.

Advertisement