Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Hes a bigger guy already which will help. Hodnett was a great 8 at 20s but is a bit small for it at senior level. Having said that i thought kendellan was similar but hes played a bit of 8 at senior already

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Add to that depth, Jack O'Sullivan 6,7,8 and Jack Daly 6,7.

I'd also add a list for 5.5, i.e. lock/blind-side flanker, so I'd say Fineen Wycherley, Cian Hurley would both fall under that heading.

Od think their a level below the others as prospects. Maby not lower than okeke but he may be the best carrier of the lot

Jack O'Sullivan has had a bad run of injury, but he had huge potential at U20's, he has shown flashes of it at senior level but injuries have robbed him of the opportunity to demonstrate what he can do. It remains to be seen if he might find that form again.

Hes 24 at this stage with some extremely talented young back rows coming through itl be tough for him. I dont tmrecall him being a prospect like kendellan/hodnett/quinn but we will see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

It's a smart way to use a teenager in adult rugby, I suspect he will do a lot of hard carrying closer to the ruck for the 20s as he should be physically dominant at that level, we shall see.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Exactly ya, a large part of the reason for his appearance was because of the injury list at the time. He was Munster's youngest ever player in the pro era when he came on. Seem well able tho.

I mentioned it on the U20s thread, but I went to see the game last Friday between Ireland U20s and Leinster Development - and despite a number of good performances from some really promising players, I thought Ruadhan Quinn was probably the most promising player on the field.

The comparison I used in terms of style and power mismatch was Sean O'Brien. He also looks to be a good footballer, with good handling and passing ability, and I liked that he seems to have a good level of aggression and fire about him too.

Really promising player in my opinion, and really looking forward to seeing him for the Irish 20s this year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Team is in. No Murray on the squad. Fekitoa and Healy also out.

Munster: Mike Haley; Calvin Nash, Antoine Frisch, Jack Crowley, Shane Daly; Joey Carbery, Craig Casey; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, Roman Salanoa; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Jack O’Donoghue, Peter O’Mahony (C), Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Scott Buckley, Josh Wycherley, John Ryan, John Hodnett, Alex Kendellen, Paddy Patterson, Rory Scannell, Liam Coombes.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,542 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

a team selected on form??

i still fancy munster for a 5 pointer here.

northampton are a very poor travelling team; 0 for 7 this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Strong team. Murray went from starting against SA in November to not making the bench. Wonder will he make Irish squad at this rate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Lots of guys reward for their form their; Patterson is the obvious one, XCrowley also, but Salanoa too.

No Earls, injured? Or just more picking guys on form?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,941 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Have to say I'd have kept Fekitoa either at 12 or on the bench.

If Earls and Murray are fit but just excluded, that would be a massive call, Murray particularly. Good to see Salanoa get the start.

Munster to get a BP win.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭phog

Huge call not to have Murray in the 23 and Ryan on the bench, L Coombes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

If Patterson performs well here and gets a shot next week and goes well he puts himself firmly in the conversation for an Ireland call up I reckon.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

No chance I'm afraid, as good a season as he's having so far.

6N squad is announced next Thursday so this week-end is the last shot.

20 minutes off the bench isn't going to get him anywhere near a National squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Wouldn't think so, just a bit to work on yet, he needs a bit more control on his pass to move up to international level, if he gets a call up it'll be to see if he can adjust his game.

He's having a great season, I just think he's too like Casey and JgP to get the nod yet, and that will be Murrays saving grace for this 6n.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Northampton are a decent outfit but, Munster should put them to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Didn't consider that the squad would be named before the next game.

Pity. I think he's a close like for like to what JGP offers (alongside Blade)

Hopefully he keeps getting minutes this season. I'm glad Rowntree rates him higher that Cronin though. JVGs insistence of picking the exceptionally limited Cronin last season (378 minutes - 10 apps 5 starts) over Patterson (78 minutes - 5 apps all subs - 4 apps when Cronin started) was a real headscratcher

Lawes is named in the Saints team for tomorrow, iirc, he missed out in the reverse fixture and he could make a difference for them. We were unlucky with the initial cards around the scrap but then coughed up two more in succession after that. We need to keep a clean sheet tomorrow.

• Advertisement

The back 5 of the Northampton pack is about as big as you can see tbh - all of Ribbans, Moon, Salakaia-Loto, Lawes and Ludlam are very big men.

It's hard to see how Northampton have the quality in the backs to stretch Munster, but they definitely look to be bringing a big, abrasive pack.

Some of the increased pace Munster have been playing at (and training at per Murray Kinsella) should stand to them here.

Munster should have been out of sight at half time over there and could have scored again before the yellow cards and probably should have scored at the death. I think Munster will have too much for them and will win handily.

I just looked up those Northampton backs and most of them have International caps, so I wouldn't be too cocky about being able to rip them apart out the backs.

I'd say they have a strong experienced 23, so Munster with a relatively inexperienced team by comparison, I think Northampton will be slight favourites, albeit Munster have home advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Munster looked the significantly better team for portions of the last game, and held up in defense reasonably comfortably against their maul. Not a bonus point win but they should be favorites.

Northampton have won 2 of their last 7. Munster was won 5 of their last 7. Munster are at home and should have won by more over there, even with being under the cosh with the yellow cards. Northampton are not in any way favourites and the bookies agree with me. Munster are 1/8 favourites and are at +13 for the handicap.

Nah. Not one of those backs have even 10 caps for their country. There is 16 caps total in their backline versus Munster's 49. Joey Carbery has more than 2x as many caps as their backs combined.

I'd be very surprised if Munster don't win this with a TBP.

Ha, my memory was we were defending our line at the end, must be confused. Yes, I agree we should have won by more over there I suppose what I was intimidating at is that Lawes can hurt us at the breakdown if we're not careful there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

They’ve selected a back row to attack the lineout instead of the breakdown so that could be a problem. Kendellan was excellent at the breakdown last week on offense. Right on the line stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

What's the craic with Jeremy Loughman? He was first choice before christmas. Is he injured?

Advertisement