Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We have a problem, I think!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Now what do I upgrade next?

If you've done all that build don't upgrade.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

Not even worth a cpu upgrade? I need spare parts to rebuild the bought pc in order to resell.

I made the mistake of selling the graphics card and memory that came with the Harveynorman pc so looking for cheap replacement on those and a better cpu for rebuilt pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I meant if you can do all that then why are you not building?

Wake me up when it's all over.

I thought that selling the components would be enough to offset the price of replacements and it was but now I have gone farther than I expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

I'm not sure what cpu you have now but if you don't really feel you actually need an upgrade you might consider rather than a gpu for the cannibalised PC and cpu for the new one maybe put a 5600G in the messy one along with some not too cheap ram (as it will be using it for the onboard graphics). Or you could pickup an even cheaper cpu second hand, like it looks like CEX have a 3000G for €50 or a 3200G for €72. NGL I really don't know what would get you the best resale now though.

Ok full specs of rebuilt pc

X570S Tomohawk max wifi

Corsair Vengeance 32 gb (4x8gb) 3200 mhz

Corsair RM750X

Radeon 6700XT

Ryzen 5 5600X

Kraken x63

Nzxt internal usb hub

Be quiet pure base 500fx black atx argb 4 preinstalled light wings pwm

512gb m.2 ssd x1

1tb samsung ssd

1tb HD

So I have for sale rog case, motherboard, WiFi and Bluetooth card, exhaust fan power supply, that's it.

All other parts sold or put in rebuild.

So I need processor,memory,and graphics.

I have a few spare 240gb ssd that will also go in the for sale pc.

So what is the next upgrade I should buy, faster ram or cpu?

Both old parts could be used in for sale pc.

• Advertisement

There's no right answer here and especially not without knowing what you are happy with about it as it stands and where you think you would like it to be better.

Saying that if you want to upgrade then my best guess would be to change the ram for say 2*16GB of 4000CL18 putting the old ram in the sale pc. You might be as well off though taking the downgrade and putting half your ram into the sale PC, or doing that and when you sell it decide if you want to upgrade the ram based on how much you get for it.

Then for that sale PC another option might be to get a 3500X (€90) and 470 4GB (€85) from CEX. Maybe €20 more than the 5600G unless you can get it at a very aggressive price but probably easier to try and get more for it as a ready to go machine Vs the 5600G which would be more of a stopgap for anyone buying it as a gaming PC (and if they aren't buying it as a gaming pc they won't pay any kind of premium for the ROG factor).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The only upgrade left would be a Ryzen 7-5800X3D. But we're talking less than 10% uplift in most games vs the 5600X. Alternatively, get a Ryzen 7-5700X for half the price - basically same performance as 5600X but with an extra 2 cores.

You're running 4x RAM sticks so they are in dual-channel + dual-rank configuration - no point upgrading to faster speed. Unless you really want RGB, in which case get some 3600 MHz CL16 from Kingston.

Also, please don't forget to post a pic of the build(s) in the thread 😎 https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055334204/merged-your-main-pc-pictures-specs-and-discussion#latest

I was having a slightly dumb moment making an unqualified suggestion of 4000 for the 5600X as it's unlikely to manage a 2000MHz IF clock though if you are willing to do the work to get it as fast as it will go while keeping the memory to IF clock ratio up you will likely get it a little past 1800/3600, likely to 1900/3800.

I've now spent too long already going down a rabbit hole on the 4*8 Vs 2*16 and ranks question for Zen 3 and am throwing up my hands! Instincts say 2*16 of dual rank should be better but then the end of a Gamers Nexus video quotes Wendell from Level 1 Techs saying 2*16 of single rank is ideal! I do think 4*8 of 3200 could be improved upon but you also have to factor in the timings and ... lol

I think the main point is OP has made a nice fun mess for themselves and should probably be worrying most about getting out of it with the least pain over upgrades as the 5600X + 6700XT and whatever ram they end up with should be pretty solid though I guess dropping to 2x8 is probably more of a downgrade than I was thinking ;)

Lol it is a fun but expensive mess alright.

Main thing is,,, the kids happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jon Doe

LOL! So much for measuring twice and cutting once... xP

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jon Doe

I don't understand why you want to buy extra parts so that you can sell whole machine... Why not just sell the parts individually?

• I’d buy what u have w/o CPU & GPU (I think there’s no GPU?) I already have a ryzen 5 something lying around haha.

Be a fun project for the Mrs. she wants a PC for some reason but I’m not going balls to the wall cos she wanted a MacBook too and hardly uses it 😅

Not quite ready to sell yet havent totally made my mind, my girls are thinking about using it but thanks anyway.

Pictures of the build are now in the pictures thread

Thanks for everybodys help

Ok now to recoup some of the value of the Harveynorman pc I have replaced/ upgraded the sold graphics card and memory with a Palit gtx1070 jetstream and 2x 8gb Kingston fury memory.

Also added a 500gb hard drive and a 240gb ssd that I had lying about.

What should I look at price wise to sell quickly on adverts.ie?

• Advertisement

Oh I also upgraded the cpu cooler to a Wraith Prism rgb that I had here.

I bought a Ryzen 7 5800x3d for the new build so original cpu went back in the Harveynorman for sale pc.

Full specs of for sale pc in the advert now.

I was sure there was a thread on here to help promote our adverts, but can't find it.

All comments on the advert welcome and even invited, don't think I have ever sold a pc before, all just went under the bed and then 5 years later bin.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Realistically I don't think you will get anything close to that for such a basic spec.

You sold a 1660Ti only to replace it with a GTX1070? That's actually not really an upgrade, more a sideways move. It has 2GB more vram but it's older and uses more power.

Being realistic I would expect to get around 5-600.

Looking on Amazon I can build a 5600X, 16GB, 512GB NVME, 600w PSU, B550M based machine for around 500.

Can get a 2nd hand GTX1070 for about 150.

I, and probably you, understand how adverts.ie works.

Aim high, you might hit the spot.

Advertisement