Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,937 ✭✭✭✭josip

Suicide doors look interesting until everyone wants to get in or out of the car at the same time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Very S looking from the rear, looks like a beaut but those doors, no way

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,937 ✭✭✭✭josip

You would imagine that if the business case for these stacks up, they'll need to be making way more than 1000 per year.

https://newatlas.com/automotive/tevva-mass-production-tev75-electric-truck/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Well it looks like they're only producing for the UK this year. And to be fair they're bringing the factory up from basically zero

If you think of Volvo or Mercedes electric trucks, they're pretty much the same chassis as the diesel ones. So I imagine they can resume a lot of the parts and tooling which gives them a headstart on manufacturing

Also to be frank I suspect companies are a bit reluctant to order a truck they'll probably operate for 7 or 8 years from a company that might be bankrupt by 2024

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Big price cuts on Tesla's in the US yesterday/overnight it seems.

$3,000 off the M3, $9,000 off an M3P, $13,000 off the MYLR and MYP. Other models got discounts as well.

Reductions in some EU countries as well.

Edit: M3 is showing as €45,660 here with blue paint. Not sure if that's a reduction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Yup that's a big reduction of like 7.5k, nice to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭traco

There is 10k off the LR since I saved a quote in October, that brings it under the grant cut off now doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Why have they dropped the prices? Falling sales due to the grant changes in many countries? That will have a big impact on the value of existing cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

they said that they are cuting production costs which is why they can do it.

also.. " Musk acknowledged last year that prices had become "embarrassingly high" and could hurt demand."

I'd agree with that, especially when you think that the "value" in a tesla isnt its build quality or its looks but the intelligence that comes with it BUT you even need to pay extra for that, and the last time I heard the cash you pay for upgrades gets lost when you sell the thing on as they switch them off.

• Advertisement

I had pretty much decided to hold off and stick to the ICE as I have mad random road trips with work but this price drop has me back on the fence again. LR model 3 is tempting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Tesla delivered 1.3M cars last year, and are about to massively ramp up production in most of their factories…. Higher prices could stifle demand, so lower prices coupled with all factories churning out loads of cars and selling them all, even for lower prices is ultimately good for business.

there might be a lower margin in each car, but if they are selling more cars the overall margin should continue to rise…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

What upgrades do they turn off when you sell the car?

If you trade in a Tesla with EAP/FSD or even free Supercharging for life to Tesla themselves, they’ll most likely remove those ‘upgrades’ (definitely in the case of free supercharging), and sell the car on minus those features.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

Tesla certainly have shaken up the market. Good news for all of us, except those of us who have recently bought. But I suppose the low depreciation couldn't last forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Your cost of change shouldn't be massively affected. This is great news for people trying to buy their first EV as prices had become crazy. Also good news for people waiting for more affordable used EVs

Hopefully now other manufacturers will be forced to up volume to reduce unit costs and prices. Tesla leading the way again

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes but only if sold to Tesla. Third party sales do not get changed

Aye, as I’d mentioned;

If you trade in a Tesla with EAP/FSD or even free Supercharging for life to Tesla themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

thats a massive jump in Tesla units sold.

Another reason for their price drop may be that the likes of BMW are now on the scene with electric cars and if Tesla can both undercut the old companies by both price and delivery availability, they could make a killing on the company car market.

Just a random fact, that I wouldnt have thought of coming from a place like ireland where cars are mostly bought privately, in Germany something like 90% of Audi A4s are sold to non private customers, whether its for company cars, or indirectly to leasing companies. That means that very few buy new cars direct from the manufacturer and theres a whole "thing" of 1 year old cars being sold on in mint condition. If Tesla cornered that market in Germany, or UK or US, thats a massive blow for the legacy premium car manufacturers.

I did hear a Tesla rep in Germany mention back when they were building their new plant near Berlin that they had plans to go after the company car market (and do this subsidised by the german taxpayer!!!) so maybe this is the beginning of them pricing their cars accordingly..... almost in the sweet spot of an Audi A4 .

(also.... off topic... the CEO of Audi was pondering there before xmas whether they would even exist as a brand in 10 years)

I think Tesla are going to clean up, Clean up everywhere with those prices!!! (I can buy a Model Y in Lithuania for sub €40k plus €1,200 delivery)

Could you imagine if you were still waiting for your Toyota Bz4x…. And now you’re gonna see loads of RWD Model Y’s whizzing around in a few weeks going further on a full charge and charging much faster…. And they paid less…… and your still waiting for your Bz4x….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It'll be interesting to see the response from other manufacturers, hopefully will bring prices down overall

I think it's a benefit for everyone, depreciation will still be low compared to historical standards, and if you're trading in for a new car then the new car might be available at a semi realistic price

For example, the price of an ID.4 1st edition Max in 2021 is roughly equivalent to the mid spec one today, and the current Max version is around €15k more

So in 2024 when your PCP is up and you're thinking of trading in, what's the point? You'd have to spend a chunk of cash to get literally the same car, just newer, or settle for a lower spec. Might as well just make the balloon payment and keep the 2021 car

If prices start to drop, then suddenly that newer shiner VW, Kia or Tesla starts to make a whole lot more sense

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Hard to know what competitors will do - them may sit tight for a while and see what happens when the dust settles. Many have silly leadtimes and those waiting may jump ship in the short term to get a car quicker and cheaper. Some just won't buy Tesla anyway as its not a traditional style interior etc etc.

I'm no Musk fan but I'd probably buy one as I like the cars, tech and charging, the other thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet is his 30k EV statement way back in the day. Is this setting the tone for a push to that price point? He has the battery and factory capacity and the more they build the more buying power they have to lower costs further.

Could be a very interesting year or two ahead.

I can’t see Audi/BMW/Mercedes prices budging much…. But VW, The Koreans and all the rest will have to respond in some way surely?

It seems like Tesla have placed themselves extremely well to go to war against all the competition.. they have all that production already up and running and are about to ramp up massively too…

there will be Tesla’s EVERYWHERE!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Tesla seem to have been the first manufacturer where their supply has matched demand. They've been making a huge margin compared to other auto makers so can afford this cut to increase demand.

It's really going to put pressure on other manufacturers to shift towards more affordable offerings.

Between Tesla and the Chinese brands the squeeze is definitely on the established players. They got to arrogant with their supply chain over the years and are paying the price for that now which serves them right. I love my german cars but the last 24 months things had become completely stupid.

Its also no longer possible to dismiss the Chinese quality as they are very close now. The BMW iX3 is built in a China and nothing wrong with materials or fit and finish but irs price point is ridiculous, tick a box or two and its 80k.

I'd imagine there are a lot of very stressed sales departments in dealers around the country this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

I think people are expecting a lot from this but most people are extremely conservative when it comes to car buying. They'll continue to buy Toyota because they always did and their parents did. They'll buy from the same garage that they always did. If they're open to swaying, it's because Kia offer a much longer warranty than others (for example) and not Tesla because the nearest service centre is 200km away. It's still positive but maybe not as positive as in other countries.

Valid points out creatures of habit and the saving could be 5k less in a few months or even by the time some cars get delivered. I just pdf'd Tesla Dublin M3 stock list for reference down the road. It doesn't look to me like they have been altered.

Some cars on donedeal in other dealers have dropped, others haven't but its still very early days yet. Did the same with doendeals listings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

They should have called it the Model T🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I wonder if the oft mooted model 2 would be that 30k EV in europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

People said the se about online sales. It hasn't taken long for online sales to become the norm for many. Everywhere you go now, even in theost rural locations, you'll find online delivery vans

Advertisement