Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

In 103 pages I have yet to see anyone explain the positives of this.

It looks to me like you asked a poster a question who didn't respond.

I know what I would class more as tumbleweed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I see there was travellers out blocking the roads with horses and carts 😂

While you can't control the beast, I do agree that there's some elements in the mix at these protests that might not exactly help PR, but all the same, what can do done? They aren't exactly the types to stand down just because they've been told to. They'll do what they want, regardless of what others say.

Post edited by TomTomTim on

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Wrote to my green TD Catherine Martin about this stating my dissatisfaction with the Green Party on this issue, in particular her colleague Roderic O’Gorman who I feel has completely exceeded his remit.

Was a fairly extensive email outlining all my concerns re our levels of capacity and the strain they are currently under.

Got an email back three days later from her “Parliamentary assistant” “thanks for your email to Catherine etc etc” fob off response. Fúcking pathetic. Write to my representative in government on a serious issue and I get this TY student writing back to me. Disgrace, can’t believe how out of touch they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I do agree that there's some elements in the mix at these protests that might not exactly help PR

You mean organising, not just at these protests, correct?

A convicted terrorist who is one of the main players in organising anti-refugee protests has been arrested for threatening to burn down a hotel housing over 40 refugees.

The chilling threat was allegedly made by the 43-year-old to a staff member of a hotel in Athy, Co Kildare which is currently hosing just over 40 asylum seekers.

Most of these people are originally from Africa and they include 17 children, 21 women and three adult males

• Advertisement

You asked for an example, you got one from yesterday, and now you just dismiss it.

That is fairly bad faith posting.

🤷‍♂️

No. You'd love that though, but in reality there's far more likely to be genuine issues popping up at these protests from the feral types there, more so than the NP types. One idiot doesn't change that likelihood.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Love what?

It states he is organising them, if you have evidence to the contrary then by all means throw it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Carefully selected and played yesterday as well - to demonstrate stupidity of public and undermine. How many other interviews/ vox pops were taken that were not played?

RTE very notably involved in group think and in step with official government direction on these matters.

Standard stuff - you did well to get a reply. I've written on various matters in past and by letter too, response level varies. Greens are actually better at replying than FG & FF TDs.

I've also written to all our TDs on housing issues, no replies yet and waiting. Maybe they don't like hearing from their constituents unless it's something supporting them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

You know exactly who I'm talking about, yet you'll make me slowly explain it to you anyway. Local scumbags, who may not give a shite about what's happening, and may use the protests as an excuse to cause some trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Regarding the need for immigrants, there is a Visa System, you know.... where one can apply, and be sponsored by a company/entity that needs your skills.

It would appear to me that visas are only for skilled workers where there is a shortage of same, but all others can come in anyway at no cost via the IP system.

Those who arrive under IP with necessary skills could be processed quickly and a visa granted once they have an offer of employment. They may not be in a position to apply for a visa through the normal channels due to war or whatever.

I don't know about the rest, but it seems if you have no marketable skills, in you come and claim asylum and live off the State for as long as you can, then bring the clan over also.

What is the point of the visa system or border/immigration control at all I often wonder? I must show my passport at the airport on arrival as an Irish citizen, but others it seems can waltz in with no documents. Bizarre or what!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Your concerns are noted, however at this time I have all my fingers in the property pie and as such nothing will be changing til Im out of the game and on a beach. The next guy will fix it. After Im safe. Promise.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Having no documents is no indicator of whether a person will be granted asylum though. A person is granted asylum based solely on whether they are believed to be a genuine refugee or not. Whether they have or don't have documentation on arrival is almost largely irrelevant to their later claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

She was mostly right.

Why lads from Albania and Georgia?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

It surely doesn't help their credibility that they arrive off a plane with no documents, passport etc that had to have had before getting on the plane. If you can't even verify something as basic as a persons name how can you believe anything they tell you.

You think the drug addled racists delivery isn't amusing?

Fair enough. 🤷‍♂️

Yes, but if a person can't verify who they are and what country they have come from, they have no chance of having their asylum claim granted. The authorities can still check and cross check everything they are saying i.e. what flights they took across Europe, what countries they passed through, what other immigration authorities did they come in contact with (all of this is recorded on international databases).

"Yes, but if a person can't verify who they are and what country they have come from, they have no chance of having their asylum claim granted."

So after several months/ years - they are told what was obvious on Day 1. Then they appeal. Then after several months/ years, they've married and had kids here and there's a campaign for the state to give them special dispensation etc etc. The system is broke and needs immediate radical action to triage and throw out chancers on arrival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah but it's a regular refrain in this thread and others like it, one day soon an Irish Trump/Farage is going to step forward and sweep the scum off the streets. But nobody ever seems to have any indication that this is actually happening, even at the planning stage, or can even name any potential leader of such a movement. The thing is the political establishment have been hearing this sort of talk for pushing 30 years, since Ireland first started experiencing significant immigration. So unless and until such a populist-right force actually emerges and starts winning significant votes in meaningful elections, such talk will continue to be dismissed as hot air...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Asked the same thing yesterday myself.

Not even one fair argument to be made for this madness that’s happening. Not one.

But the people who are against these policy’s from what I’ve read and videos watched are winning this by a total landslide imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

This is the thing.

No matter what the issue if you put it up on boards there will always be some people for and some people against no matter how batsh1t crazy there will always be some who have an opposite view.

This is a fairly active thread but not one poster,not one crank,not one bot or shill has come on here and said they agree with what's happening and the way it is happening.Its that truly,jaw dropping stupid that not even a username on an anonymous site could stand over it.

Incredible,and probably a first for boards.

The arguments about people not having documents strike me as disingenuous. The anti-immigration guys are also strongly objecting to people with passports and saying they are not genuine asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Because most of the time they are bogus.

The likes of Pamela Izevbekhai arrived into Britain on a tourist visa and then traveled to Ireland if I recollect correctly.

She had a passport.

She claimed asylum and managed to con a huge chunk of the country, what looks like the entirety of the media and political class into believing her sob story which was all bunkum.

And it only costs us taxpayers a couple of million to get to the truth even though some would never have given her leave to remain from the start.

BTW verifying facts I just spotted none other than one Phillip Boucher-Hayes sworn an affidavit supporting Izevbekhai's claims for her legal case.

Ah the gullible classes.

What was the Nigerian embassy said again?

No wonder we have no room for Ukrainians as we have those with bogus sob stories being entertained and supported.

Beware though how they are trying to provoke posters to say things to get them banned.

It is as clear as crystal the tactics at play.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

because they no it’s wrong, just won’t say. it’s an argument they can’t win.

They know their debate will be blown away by people on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Aodhran O Riordain tweeted an anti xenophobia video from 1942 America which he said was “relevant”.

He didn’t think it relevant to point out that also in 1942 the Americans were rounding up tens of thousands of Japanese-Americans, including 80,000 American citizens and putting them in concentration camps.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Was there not a recent amnesty for those resident in Ireland for 3/4 years?

So many of those who arrived after destroying their passports have ultimately succeeded in their aim of living here.

• Advertisement

It's not the refugees' fault if the system is moving way too slowly. Blame the government on it.....no way should it take a state 3-4 years to process an asylum claim, it should be done in months.

Advertisement