Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

What's scary about that is I probably have 2 more generations left, after that they will be making games that won't be finished within my lifetime 😮

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was watched AGDQ last night. Super Mario Galaxy 2 speedrun was on. Donation comes in:

'How could I not donate during the game that defined my childhood'

Me: '**** off, that game came out yesterday'

Came out over 12 years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,916 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Far Cry 5 has been boosted to 60 FPS on SX. Not sure MS went back earlier than that for FPS boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,916 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I don't think the Mario Galaxy games will ever age. They were definitely designed for the wiimote, which does reduce the experience on other platforms. It's strange Galaxy 2 is not out on Switch yet in HD, but I think that needs even more precise control, as you have to manage Yoshi at times. I guess the answer is the Dolphin emulator with wiimote ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

That happened me with someone that was going on about how much they loved Mass Effect 2 as a child.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

A unique and never to be repeated time in gaming history.

7 years apart

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think the jump from PS1/N64 to the Dreamcast/PS2/Gamecube/XBox is just as big a leap as well. We went from 3D games that felt like they were only working because of the sheer optimism of the coders holding them together to very solid looking and feeling 3D games. I mean the difference between MGS1 and MGS2 is 3 years.

Everything after has been diminishing returns generation on generation where now I'm listening to DF retro telling me that Ray Tracing is a game changing experience while thinking 'If there was no side by side I'd be hard pushed to see differences'.

Ray tracing to me is almost exactly like from when I went to compressed dolby digital sound to uncompressed True HD, you do notice that it is better at first but not the jump you were expecting, but you REALLY notice it when you go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭Penn

We're definitely into diminishing returns graphically with the last few generations. Aside from frame-rate I can barely tell the difference when something is 1080p, or 4k, or ray-tracing, or whatever anti-aliasing or checkerboarding is etc.

The biggest advantage of this gen over last is just the SSD and reduced loading times. I don't think I could go back to what it was like last gen; watching a progress bar slowly inch its way across the screen, or a well-designed loading screen that just becomes an annoyance because you stare at is for so long so often.

• Advertisement

To me the jump to 4K/HDR was just as big if not bigger than the jump to HD, mostly because performance in general completely tanked after the switch to HD. I got my first OLED right as the PS4 Pro came out, that was some experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think a mix of the SSDs and the powerful hardware that could finally run most modern games at 60 FPS + did make this generational leap feel more substantial than the previous one. And switching to an OLED TV soon after getting a PS5 was definitely transformative, but that as mentioned above could've happened earlier. But yeah I think the days of massive generational graphical leaps are over. Although you could certainly argue that the advent of VR was a transformative generational leap.

As for ray-tracing, it's a funny one. No doubt it creates richer, more 'realistic' images - even if the details are often subtle and barely noticeable in fast gameplay. Games with ray-tracing often look considerably 'flatter' and less impressive when it's turned off. There are other times where I absolutely need to have the RT detail pointed out by Alex Battaglia over in DF, and even a handful of cases where the ultra-realistic ray-traced lighting perhaps loses some of the artistry and atmosphere allowed by baked lighting solutions. It's fascinating stuff for tech geeks with some tangible benefits, but the performance cost is often too steep and I'm not at all surprised that surveys consistently show it's only a minority of PC players that even turn it on.

It is really only the newest generation of graphics cards that can actually implement it without serious penalties to performance. In the next gen of consoles I reckon it will just be the standard lighting used in most games.

I still think we are a generation away from 4K ray tracing to modern rendering ability. And then you have 8K coming down the pipeline which would effectively quadruple the power required for native resolution path tracing.

On the other hand I really don't see any of the next gen consoles not launching with a AI driven upscaling solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭Cordell

More important than lightning are reflections - when raytraced reflections will be the only implementation available then game mechanics changes will be seen, things like seeing stuff that is off-screen e.g. seeing the enemy's reflection (I know we can have mirrors in some games, but they are implemented using tricks and they have limitations).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Theres not many games on console that are native 4K though, mainly what you see is upscaled 4K.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭quokula

I definitely think the SSDs have made a huge difference, and there are a lot more quality of life features. Both my PS5 and XSX are completely silent at all times which was certainly not the case in previous generations. In both of them I can get into whatever I was playing instantly with zero friction. On the PS5 you have great controller haptics and a USB-C port that's compatible with all the other chargers already next to where you sit so you never have to think about battery life ever. On the XSX you have quick resume to dip between games super quick. That all adds up even if graphic improvements aren't particularly mind blowing on most games and I couldn't care less about ray tracing tbh. I do think as we move away from cross gen rather than just slapping race tracing onto last gen assets I think we'll start seeing higher quality assets, animations, textures and the like. I think there's also plenty of scope for advances in simulation, physics and AI that could push games forward too.

But even with what we have so far it'd be hard to go back. I mentioned I'd gone back to Witcher 3 recently with the next gen update - while the game still certainly feels its age in many ways one thing I've found is that I'm happy to play on a higher difficulty now because reload after death is a non-issue, where I remember staring at a screen for several minutes when I played before and eventually switching the difficulty down out of impatience.

Tbh I found the HDR to be the bigger deal but even the checkerboarded 4K looked infinitely better than 1080p, seeing Horizon for the first time on that TV was memorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd take 60FPS at 1080P over 30-45FPS at 4K/4K Checkerboard.

FPS is the main thing for me all day long.

Don't know if anyone else has been playing it, but does anyone else get headaches playing Evil West? I've turned off camera shake and stuff but man I can barely even play it for an hour at a time. Reddit seems to suggest it may be from excessive motion blur on Performance Mode and suggested playing on Quality mode.

• Advertisement

I can't look at 1080p anymore, it just looks awful on larger screens these days. 40 FPS is a nice compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,807 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Speaking of Evil West, I see Hard West is on sale for 2 euro down from 20 on psn. A wild west xcom, anyone play it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So many 'West' games 😅 Heard some positive buzz about Weird West towards the end of the year, but keep getting confused because Evil West and Hard West also pop up in the various storefronts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

The only way you'll know is changing the graphics mode and see what happens. I'm in the same boat as yourself but with GoW Ragnarok. No matter what I do within 30 minutes my head is spinning. Zero issues with the previous game.

Yeah I switched for a bit at the end of last night but still feeling the effects of the initial headache regardless so hard to tell.

The camera in the game isn't great in general. The enemy lock-on is a balls which can throw you in different directions than you want, or make enemy tracking difficult (particularly with enemies who move around a lot). And even with camera shake off the camera movements for area transitions (vaulting over something, climbing down a rope etc) still swings with the characters as he moves.

Have to say though I didn't have the same issue with GOW Ragnarok, or at least not to the same extent or that I can remember.

There's a great deal on at Humble Bundle for people that love point and click games. Pretty much the entire library of Wadjet Eye games is in a very generous bundle. They pretty much make the best modern point and click games, the ones I played have all been excellent and can't recommend them enough:

I'd never heard of any of these and went and read some reviews and they sound fantastic so can't say no to the bundle at that price.

If you like point and clicks you'll love them. Not played them all but I'd highly recommend Resonance and the Blackwell games. To me Wadjet Eye are the new Lucas Arts.

Loved point & clicks back in the day but not a genre I've played since the 90s probably. I still have nightmares about the goat of Lochmarne Castle.

• Advertisement

These are a loooooot more manageable than those games! I played broken sword recently enough and it was a much tougher experience than any of these games! It was also the rerelease where they fixed that stupid goat.

Advertisement