Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

And viewed in isolation, this might be a valid point.

But when you combine the result today with the performance of Ulster today, and the performance of Ulster ever since half time in the Leinster game, you can see that there is a serious crisis at the moment. We are absolutely rubbish and there are no excuses for this any more.

Change is needed at Ulster, this season is now a write-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,218 ✭✭✭✭phog

The season is far from a write off, make the knock out games and currently ye'r still in a home QF and anything can happen.

Ye need a win but twice recently ye've got Try BPs without managing a win so ye can score tries.

I hear McFarland has interviewed for the Leicester job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Might be best for all concerned. The players are no longer playing for him. That much is clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Advertisement

He'd be a good fit for Leicester. I still very much rate him as a coach, I think he's improved Ulster a lot but he's taken this squad as far as he can and Ulster clearly need something different. Players seem to know it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

All coaches have a shelf life. Maybe we're at that point with Ulster.

It's almost impossible to know if you aren't within the group but I think we desperately miss Jared Payne and Dwayne Peel (although he had gone the season before last). We've run out of ideas in attack and our defence is pretty porous.

We still have time to turn things around in the URC so it's premature to say the season is a write off, but clearly the signs are not positive and any kind of success in the URC (semi final at an absolute minimum) seems unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

Hi guys,heading to the ulster/Stormers game on the 27th.not been before and not familier with the place.can I drive and park right at the stadium?taking the wife so not wanting to walk longer than 10min if possible and don’t fancy buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I usually park in one of the residential streets just off Cregagh road. If you're there early enough for a good space then the walk is just a couple of minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I don't think McFarland’s system suits the quality of player we have in the pack. I’m not saying he’s a bad coach but it wouldn’t be the end of the world to mutually move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

Thanks,ill

give that a try

• Registered Users Posts: 24,220 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I thought it was interesting that Henderson (who didn't play at all until the end of November) was removed after 49 minutes. I missed a lot of the first half but his last action I saw was forcing a knock on from their scrum half so I figured he was putting himself about.

But given his removal and a brief look at his stats (4 carries for 1m, 3 missed tackles), I wonder was he just ineffective and removed accordingly?

If you're captain is phoning it in and hauled off early, it's a bad look for him. And if McFarland and Henderson aren't seeing eye to eye, it's bad news for McFarland.

I wouldn't be surprised if McFarland is gone from Belfast in the next month. It's a quiet period in terms of games and would give an interim coach an opportunity to work with the squad. A big sticking point will be the 2 years remaining on his contract though. I'm not sure if Ulster/IRFU have the funds to settle that.

If Ulster want to replace him, they need to be recruiting now. Starting a process in a few months will be too late. Even starting now will mean reduced options.

It's possible that McFarland wants to use Henderson in the next 2 games for at least part of those matches, and so had to manage his minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Scythica

So, does anyone expect anything other than a humping this weekend?

I would love to eat my words and see a revitalised Ulster pull out a great European win a-la the past. However part of me know is adamant we need change, and if the results need to go further south to initiate that.. then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I don't know what's going on in the squad. MacFarland until the 2nd half v Leinster was going great. What happened?

Where was the effort v Sale? That loss was the worst I've seen Ulster play since the gawdy days of Kiss.

My take is that the team were demoralized after that and have been scutter since. People question the tactics and the coaching but it's fair to lay the blame on the players. There's no confidence and very little fight.

Can MacFarland turn it around? Have the squad given up? Either way, they are very poor. Maybe a change at the helm is needed. But some of these players are responsible. They look lethargic and beaten.

Honestly, I think if La Rochelle score an early try or two it could get really ugly.

I don't think this team have the mentality right now to deal with this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I don’t think playing half a game would affect that. Also I’m not sure Henderson is affected as he wasn’t involved in the AI’s apart from being in camp with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,748 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The only problem I see with the shelf life thing is the abruptness of the turnaround. I mean you can identify almost to the minute, let alone the day. It all fell apart in the RDS, which to me suggests a far more fundamental issue than a coaches shelf life. It was like a switch being flicked really. Usually when a coach reaches to the end of their time things break down a bit more gradually. But Ulster had been going well up to the RDS game.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,218 ✭✭✭✭phog

Were they though? They had us on the ropes in Thomond Park and failed to score in the second half, iirc, a conversion rebounding off the posts allowed them a one point win. That win plastered over the cracks of them failing to score or put their foot on the throat of Munster. Granted they had a bad night with conversations too and we possibly could have had a RC too.

Prior to that game I said Munster had to prevent them getting their maul working, that was the only weapon they had and scored two of their 3 tries off it but couldn't put us to the sword

• Registered Users Posts: 24,748 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yes. They had only lost 1 game until the one in the RDS. They went to Thomond with a bit of a mix and match side and got a win. The only real thing about their games prior to the RDS were that they were all fairly handy, that one in Thomond aside. So maybe that was masking things. But prior to that half time in the RDS they’d scored 37 tries, which is more than most teams have 3 1/2 rounds later, including Munster. That first half in the RDS alone was good and was far more than just a team with a maul.

• Advertisement

Agreed. Whatever is going on with them is hard to put a finger on.

With Moore out, it's looking bleaker.

(15-9): Michael Lowry, Rob Lyttle, Stewart Moore, Luke Marshall, Jacob Stockdale, Ian Madigan, Nathan Doak;

(1-8): Rory Sutherland, Rob Herring, Jeff Toomaga-Allen, Alan O’Connor, Kieran Treadwell, Iain Henderson (Captain), Nick Timoney, Duane Vermeulen.

Replacements: John Andrew, Eric O’Sullivan, Andy Warwick, Harry Sheridan, David McCann, Michael McDonald, Billy Burns, Ethan McIlroy.

A wild Ian Madigan has appeared. Cooney and McCloskey rested. It's a fairly weak selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Scythica

Defintely dialling it in, although if the pack can get any sort of platform, it'll be interesting to see a team with no pressure have a crack. If nothing else, great to see sheridan and mccann get a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

A wild Ian Madigan has appeared. Cooney and McCloskey rested. It's a fairly weak selection

Well, the full strength team hasn't been setting the world on fire of late... might as well give a few other lads a go. Cooney in particular was poor in Treviso and that last penalty concession was absolutely criminal.

Nah it's not even that, we're clearly throwing this one. Doesn't bother me, I'm glad we're throwing it, if it were me I wouldn't even have Henderson travelling. I couldn't care less about this competition, it's just a distraction for us now.

I know Cooney has never been your favourite but Ulster with Cooney are very different to Ulster without Cooney these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Looking forward to seeing Sheridan. Big day for him. I dont see any update on Izuchukwu in the latest injury update. Is he injured? Or is there another reason he isnt playing?

This will be Sheridans debut. I think he will be a good player. Fantastic seeing the young lads get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭OldRio

I've no idea why Ulster were not given a penalty try.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭LRind2008

Winnable game, stockdale loves himself an error

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,564 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Loved the error so much he made it three times.

after the forward pass a while ago he might consider gloves, or spray or both.

Advertisement