Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

Yeah, listed in the injury report this week with a thigh injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Seems like your classic Banana skin game.

I do expect us to win, but not by as much as the bookies say.

Recent games have shown this young team can win ugly. actually any years form can show that.

Lack of second row cover is frustrating. I can only imagine what it is like for the team and staff.

G'wan Munster, hammer them.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

I understand selling tickets is not allowed but I got my old man 2 tickets for the game and he is no longer going so they are free to a good home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i honestly wouldnt be surprised if murray not being in the squad is a one-off. we need max points in case we dont get anything in toulouse so casey and patterson makes sense from that point of view. similarly, i wouldnt be at all shocked if murray starts against toulouse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I find this interesting. Surely you want to take maximum points from every game, and the objective in every game of rugby is to score maximum points, as it gives you the best chance of winning? So if you're dropping a player, because you feel you're likely to score more points without him in the team, surely that just means the player in question, isn't in your best 23. Unless Munster haven't been trying to score maximum points in every game this season until now?

Like, if I was a pro rugby player, and my coach said to me "we're not playing you, because we want to score lots of points in this game and we feel we have a better chance without you", I'd take that as being dropped.

I feel like there's a lot of mental gymnastics going on here. This is Munster's most important game of the season so far. A BP win is imperative, and they think they have a better chance without Murray in the 23. Call me simple, but it seems to me as though he's just been dropped.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

This is way too simplistic tho, TRC; it’s not about “scoring the most points”, it’s about winning, and that comes down to gameplan.

Plus, by saying “scoring the most points” you’re also overlooking the defensive side of things. And in that regard, Casey was a large part of the cause for a try vs Toulouse and should’ve been the cause for a penalty try vs Northampton, but the ref didn’t give it. Murray is clearly a better defender.

Plus there’s already precedent for this; Casey started and Patterson was named on the bench for the home game vs Toulouse, with Murray starting the following week away to Northampton.

He had been returning from injury at the time but had trained in the week leading up to the Toulouse game. I definitely think it’s possible he starts next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

I'd 100% start Murray next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Registered Users Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭phog

Leicester's BP win last night probably means we need to win today and next week to get a top 4 position. Clermont are mathematically still in it but I can't see them going to SA and get the win when they couldn't do it at home last night.

Top 4 probably going to be in no particular order Leicester, LAR, Toulouse & Stormers

• Advertisement

After the start to this season I'd be happy with just qualifying really.

Top 4 would be a dream scenario at this stage, would be a good test of the team and the tactics to go away to a top side with better conditions for the game they're trying to play.

Sink or swim, and learn an awful lot.

And, best case scenario would be getting Exeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

How's the weather looking in Limerick?

I think this will be tight until later in the game. Saints are well able to play and disrupt and we are looking for a fast attacking game from the halfbacks axis.

Munster by 9 eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Coombes with an awesome start, the man is a tank.

And that's a red

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

Red all day

Never near blocking the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Northampton Hooker must owe the TMO money here 🤣

Dominating up front already it would be nice to see frisch getting some good attacking opportunity in this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Soups123

The ref talked himself into a yellow rather than talked himself to a decision. Bit of ego there not wanting to be over ruled despite the evidence looked a clear red

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Bit frustrated by Casey there, slow in decision making thinking about the advantage....but a great team try & handling nonetheless

Saints defence was stretched for a long time in that passage of play, the try was inevitable and if anything could have come sooner.

Should be a red also, let's see how consistent the ref is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I did mention banana peel earlier...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Soups123

That just makes the earlier call look a shocker both reds

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Silly from JOD, completely up right. Will likely get a 4 week ban now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Clear red but so was the Northampton one so a bit hard to take!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Stupid dangerous tackle, would have thought Crowley's tackle was a partial mitigation. No major argument but the saints card should have certainly been red too

• Advertisement

Ya, no complaints on Jack's red. But the Northampton hoover should have been hitting the showers early too. All we ask for is consistency.

Advertisement