Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭McFly85

Probably the first time when playing Brighton that I’d be surprised if we get anything out of it. A new injury every week and nothing being done on transfers or tactically.

Pre WC I was still confident that we could challenge for a CL spot but for that to happen I would have thought something would have changed. Either we would have gotten a midfielder or we’d have a few of the injured lads back. But injuries have gotten worse and we signed someone on value rather than necessity.

Klopp has worked miracles with this club but the amount of issues is even a step too far for him! I sincerely hope they can put a serious amount towards a rebuild this summer because without it his tenure could end on a fairly depressing note. And if any man deserves to go out on a high it’s him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Klopp also need to look at himself too. Too many of our players are picking up muscle injuries both in training and in games. We're an outlier from the rest of the teams. He needs to re-evaluate his training regime so players pick up less injuries and are actually available to play.

Thing is, the team’s success was built on high octane pressing, I doubt the fall off is due to injuries alone, the players are just older and the same ones have put up a huge amount of miles on the clock over the last 5 years. The team just needs a few young thoroughbreds. If we want to see the best of Thiago in the next year or two, we can’t expect him to tear around the park making tackles, he needs two dynamos beside him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Last season in 17 games we had 117 shots on target, with 48 goals

This season in 17 games we have 108 shots on target, with 34 goals ( 9 in one game)

It points to bad finishing, being wasteful, we should have 6 more points on the board at least

Home to Leeds, should have been 8-2, we lost 1-2

Away to Everton, should have been 0-4, we drew 0-0

Away to United, should have got a draw at least, we had great chances, lost 2-1

It isn’t just scoring, up to last weekend we had conceded more goals than Everton, level with West Ham in 16th and 17th position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Tbf there's only so much you can do to prevent injuries when the team already had aging players and played 60 matches last year, imo preventing those players from getting injured should have involved signing backup players to allow them more rest and recovery throughout this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭steve_r

You have to wonder how FSG see CL qualification if they won’t spend anything more on the squad.

The miracle run with Philips and Williams might be misleading them about the scale of the challenge to qualify this year. United and Newcastle are flying, very motivated, healthy squad and better defence. There’s also Spurs and (less so) Chelsea in the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Only some of these constant injuries are in the older players.

Thiago, Jota, Diaz (albeit more serious), Nunez, Ketia etc didn't have issues before or are young enough.

Only Matip has always had a problem.

I think and hope they are asking questions behind the scenes.

This is the equivalent of Salah, Bobby, Mane, Orgi and Taki all being out innured at the same time in previous seasons.

For tomorrow, surly we shouldn't play play the same formation with just Cody and Salah fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Beat Wolves in the cup replay and the Brighton game is on Sunday 29th at 13:30 on ITV1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

That's not really a valid excuse tho imo as it is Klopp's squad that he let get to this state. Sure if he just arrived a few months ago that would be an absolutely valid excuse but it's all on him. Talking about the likes of Keita and Ox like they are important members of the squad is a bit delusional really. (And no I'm not calling Klopp delusional. He has to talk them up cos he has to use them now but he obviously knows himself they are a waste of squad spaces)

P.s. Brighton will probably beat us handily tomorrow. I'm thinking 3-2 after we go 1 down, then 2 down then fight back to 2-1 only to concede sloppily again and fight back again to 3-2 in another showing of too little too late...something like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,845 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

This happens to every single club bar City because of there ability to spend,

The Cycle of Klopp's first great team has come to an end & now we are rebuilding, Forward line is down next up midfield ,

We have no right to keep wining , you build a good team 7 win for a while& then its time to start again which it is now for us ,

Lets just hope we rebuild quicker than United or Arsenal did ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

3 to Brentford

3 to Brighton

Take that 6 out of it and we'd be level with City for goals conceded. Not saying there isn't a problem in defense, but a lot of it is self inflicted

Sure add 40 points to our current total and we've won the league in January.

• Administrators Posts: 54,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The frustrating thing is this need to "rebuild" is totally of our own making. I've said it numerous times for the past few years, you need to keep refreshing the squad every single season, you need to sign new players who can make your first 11, just to keep things ticking over. Ferguson was an expert at this at United, I think practically every single year he made a new signing that changed things up for their first 11.

Otherwise you are accruing a debt that will eventually catch up to you and overwhelm you, and we are seeing the effects of that now.

I hope this season serves as a lesson to the club, even if we get back to the very top again we cannot cheap out on maintaining the squad. Likely to be a very expensive lesson I suppose.

Who are you and what have you done with "yourdeadwright"!!!??

Seriously tho you are normally the one saying what I'm about to say which that we should have been strengthening from a position of power, not waiting until we see the massive need for a certain position to be refreshed. It wouldn't have taken us "spending like city" to buy someone like Douglas Luiz last summer, who only had a year left in his contract at that point, and perhaps someone like Zakaria last Jan who according to wikipedia went to Juve for £4.5mill as he only had 6 months left on his contract and he is someone I had been advocating for us to sign for years and looks very tidy so far for Chelsea.

We could've gotten the 2 of them in for less than £50mill or thereabouts I reckon and we would be easily inside the top 4 right now and would probably be in a title race right now in all honesty. I know real life isn't like Champ manager where you can just get any player you want all the time but just after about 2 minutes research I've found that solutions were available and I'm sure there were plenty more options. I know we have this ethos of waiting for the right player to become available or we don't sign anyone but sometimes "the right player" can be a medium term or short term signing. For example if/when we miss out on top 4 this season I believe it will become apparent that "the right player" last summer was simply one that would have helped us maintain our top 4 status while we rebuild as the rebuild itself becomes more difficult without top 4. Not every player we sign has to be a Virgil or Allison type who completely transforms our fortunes.

Ye i agree one of Fergie's best quality was he was ruthless,

People forget though United was the place to be & also paid the highest wage at time ,

A lot of our success was built on our togetherness & cheap signing that paid off, a lot harder for Klopp to bin guys off & try and repeat buying cheap successful targets ,

If we didn't learn that lesson in 2021 with the defensive injury crisis then we will never learn it under this regime unfortunately. And I'm not bashing FSG here, and I hope they stay many more years as we could do a hell of alot worse, but that is just the reality with them I feel.

Ye but when you step back and take a look at the bigger picture sometimes it makes sense,

Look he wanted to spend 100 Million on the French lad who went to Madrid, but when we didn't he held back ,

I honestly think Klopp is convinced we are getting Bellingham in the summer & isn't prepared to use any of that cash,

I also think the owners will let him spend once Naby, Ox , Milner ,Firmino wages are off the books ,

I'm convinced Klopp & the owners have decided this season is what is & are quite happy to see where it goes but get in the player they "WANT" im the summer similar to waiting 6 months for VVD ,

i reckon Klopp knew a rebuild was needed and is now under way .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭JPup

That's a good comment. By all accounts we were willing to spend close to €100 million last summer on Tchouameni. It seems clear from reports that he was the top target. Klopp's philosophy has always been not to buy players just for the sake of it. They mustn't have liked the other cdm options available last summer so the money was spent on Darwin instead. This summer, all indications are that we're prepared to pay £100 million plus for Bellingham.

So the management team did identify that we need to sign top-quality young midfielders before this season. They just missed out on their targets. It's such a tough market now when you look at the money City, United, Chelsea, Newcastle and even Arsenal are spending. Everyone's hoping for the next cut price future star like Brighton managed to find with Caicedo or Benfica with Enzo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I think we'll thump Brighton and win the Champions League this year.

I'm being 100% serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,072 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The odd one though, is spending on Gakpo and ignoring midfield. We need more than just Bellingham, we probably need 3 new midfielders by the start of next season. As many injuries as we have up front, imo midfield was/is a greater need.

I think the resources should be there for both, Gakpo is a good opportunistic (maybe impulse) signing and midfield is an issue we've had to address for ages now, if funds really were taken from our midfield hunt to get Gakpo then that's a serious problem but I think it's more likely (and just as concerning) that we weren't bringing a midfielder in regardless of the Gakpo business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I mean, I can't see it myself, but I love reading it 😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

It sounds great alright...

At least one of us has some form of hope 😅

We need top 4 and nothing else, that would be an achievement this season, don't really care what happens in the CL this season but obviously would love to put Madrid to the sword...

Big Nat Vs Benzema, christ

• Advertisement

I allowed myself a "survive the first leg and we've Diaz and Jota back..." earlier 😬

Sure but that entire argument falls down if we don't then sign Bellingham this summer. If we don't sign Bellingham then we would have been better off signing someone last summer.

CL qualification is crucial to us and spending 50 or 100 mill on a midfielder or 2, like the ones I mentioned to help secure that would have paid for itself. Plus then you would be left with 2 really good assets on the books which you could then sell on for profit even. Klopp seems to have it in his head that every signing he makes is gonna end their career with us when this is not the case. So what if we are then left with 1 player too many during those magical few weeks of the season when we are completely injury free...you can then sell a player too if you end up with 1 too many.

Sure the end target is the title but I feel CL qualification is our every season target and some signings can help us with the second target, like the Kabak signing, while we wait for the others...especially when missing that second target gets us further away from our prime target.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭JPup

I think Gakpo was just great value. As good if not better output than Antony in the Dutch league for half the price. Just coming into his prime. Confidence high after a good World Cup. Knows Virgil to help him settle in. Helps with injury crisis in the short term. Too good a deal to pass up

If there was a central midfielder available this window at similar value, I don’t doubt we’d buy him. But there doesn’t seem to be. Benfica looking for €100+ for Enzo Fernandez is madness compared to what we paid for Gakpo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,072 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, but there are a zillion midfielders out there who aren't the most high profile players in the world. Enzo, Caicedo, MacAllister, all these guys are amongst the highest profile around now, and all were available for significantly less 6 months ago. We know the club were actively looking at Enzo and Matheus Nunes before the season started, so are we really to believe there isn't a young energetic midfielder out there who could do a job that isn't already a household name? Even amongst the higher profile guys, Morocco's Ounahi is looking like moving to Leeds for 25m after an outstanding WC.

I don't have any problem with getting Gakpo, but if it was a decision between Gakpo or a midfielder, then i think they made the wrong call. Ideally we'd have filled both positions, but the extent of the midfield problems puts that as top season-defining priority for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭giveitholly

A quick question,heading over to Liverpool around Easter and would like to bring the small fella on a tour of anfield. There seems to be various sites selling the tours. Which would be the best one to book with? TIA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

We missed the boat with Jude I feel, but Jordan Bellingham at 18 might be a good long term buy. Who knows, he might even persuade big brother to come aboard too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Are you going to a game?Be aware that there is no access to the tunnel area etc for a day or so prior to champions league fixtures, hopefully we will be still in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Jasus, Klopp was not happy in that press conference...😲

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Bellingham is a wild goose chase. Even if we get him we need more than him. Let's say we do get him and he gets even a short term injury. We're back to the same leg less, rudderless midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Hoping for all away wins for the rest of this weekend. Its not too much to ask for, is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'd be in favour of changing the formation for today's game, given the personnel missing up front.

But I think we'll see Ox start in a front 3 again, maybe even centrally.

They've been procrastinating about Bellingham for 2 years, if they wanted him, they should have made a move. But no, wait till he has another great season, world cup and more goals to his name. That's when we'll get good value. 😏

Surely they have other options? Last summer it appeared that we only had one target, this winter looks even bleaker. Its a hiding to nothing to hope for star midfielders to come in, but there has got to be some competent, battling young talent out there that's keen to make a name for themselves at the club?

I know it is the logical thing to want, but I still can't bring myself to admit we're out of it, and want Arsenal and City to win. We're not even halfway through the season (I mean, I know you're right, I just accept it)

So dull draws and red cards in the two derbies please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

I think in terms of this window and next we are going to need one defender and 3 midfielders, Melo was really impressing the management team with his work rate and improvements prior to injury so who knows.

I see that Brazilian kid we were linked with is going to sign for wolves, think he plays DM role, deal for I think 25 million.

We all know we need legs in midfield and someone who can disrupt but with the extensive scouting network there has to be players in lesser known parts of world available in the 20-30 mil bracket whom can improve us and have a high ceiling.

It's absolute incompetence at this stage from.powers that be.

I would love Bellingham but just can't see it happening as that would be half of the reported budget gone unless rumours are true he has a release clause for 60 odd million next summer.

While I have for past 30 years and will in future be behind the team it's a hard watch at the moment, it's like the team have completely lost its identity, if this is what we can expect from pep once klopp steps down we are in for a barren spell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Wonder how long before we concede the first today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Jesus, an optimist. I was thinking 3. Probably less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Ox starts again. Crisis or no crisis please just no . Not in any way confident of getting something out of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I dunno but I've lumped money on Brighton today, usually never bet against us but that policy cost me hundreds if not thousands of easy money last time we were terrible back in 2021. Gonna try make the most of it this time, might as well win something today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Brighton at nearly 2/1 represents great value today I think. Wouldn’t personally make that bet myself as a Liverpool supporter, but those odds are clearly too long.

LOL!! Utd are after getting a ridiculous decision their way for that equaliser. How can you argue Rashford is not interfering with play there? Course he is, whether he touches it or not. Ridiculous decision.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

2-1 United.

this is very bad for us.

Advertisement