Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balcony detail - help needed

Options
  • 11-01-2023 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I am currently mid build of a new house and have ran into difficulty with water pooling/ ponding on an external balcony.

The make up of the balcony is hollow core slabs, then a concrete screed with a good slope to two gullies/drains, and torch on felt over this. The difficulty is that the torch on felt has affected the slope and there is now water lodging at the joints of the felt.

My questions are-

1. Is there a way of removing the torch on felt and to now change to a different type of waterproofing?

2. Would there be another liquid type product that could be used over the felt that would reinstate the slope to the gullies/drains?

3. Any other suggestions??

Appreciate any advice that you could offer.

Many thanks!!

Post edited by Spear on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Deregos.

It doesn't sound like there's much of a fall for the rainwater to run off to. I don’t know of any product that would change the angle of the slope when applied to roofing felt. Some pictures of the problem area and with the water pooling would be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Newbuild1

Thanks Deregos,

Just attaching two photos now, have you ever seen torch on felt being removed?

It seems like a big risk to try this but want to get this fixed now somehow rather than it becoming a bigger problem down the line...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,243 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved to a forum that's actually related to the topic instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Deregos.

I'm not seeing any images, are you having trouble uploading them because you're a newbie on here?

I forget how many posts you have to have made before you can upload pics.

That could be it, I attached them but couldn't see them after I had posted either, I thought it was because I am using my phone but obviously not that..I'll try again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Not sure if this could work, but could mastic asphalt be applied over the felt, generally applied in 10- 20mm thick, could be feathered out to help with falls.

Thanks Jack of all,

I will look into this product, its looking like a liquid solution over the felt or remove the felt,

Appreciate your suggestion

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Tile over it

Hi

Thanks, Tiling over the felt was the initial plan but with ponding/pooling it cant be done until that is fixed?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Crikey - this isn't a functional balcony... and where is the "good fall"?

Is the objective to be able to walk on it?

Hi

Yes the intention is to walk on it,

Maybe the photos are misleading, it's about 9 square meters, and is sheltered either side and above, also the wall to inside is fully open curtain wall glazing, 9 square meters should be sufficient for functionality but when the curtain wall is open it becomes one room in any case.

The fall is under the felt, but it has been compromised by the thickness of the felt and at the joints.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"Yes the intention is to walk on it,"

Just remember to take off the stilettos.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

I can't see anything in the pictures that prevents you from tiling it as is, if the fall was in it before the tiler should be able to work with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭standardg60

Rip it out and extend the curtain glazing instead, you can always add an actual balcony to the exterior afterwards. These recessed open areas are usually an issue with leakage into the room below, and it looks awful anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Is that felt designed to take foot-traffic? I'd be moving to a more robust surface if it's going to be a functional balcony. I'd be concerned with even putting down a chair on that felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭rje66

I'd be concerned with even putting down a chair on that felt.,

Especially on a hot day when it's most likely to be used...

The felt isn't the final finished surface, it's just waterproofing, the final surface is tiles...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Pity you didn't say that in your op, but the tiler will probably sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭standardg60

I'm assuming you're meaning floor tiles rather than roof tiles, given it's meant to walked on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭hydrus21

I would probably have used a bitumen paint directly onto the concrete slab.

Synthaproof and Black Jack were the trade names I used to use. Designed to prevent damp rising up through a solid floor that has no dpm.

So presumably would work in reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Have a bit of experience in this.

If you really want to take back up the felt , it can. Will take a bit of effort but it comes away. You'll need couple of spades, stanley knifes with a few hook blades spare and off you go. Cut it into manageable sections with the knife and scrape it up from under using the spade.

When this is done as best you can and your screed isn't damaged , there are various liquid waterproofing membranes on the market that can be applied giving you a virtually joint free surface.

The main thing is to protect your waterproofing as in this case you'll be using it as a balcony and tiles are your option. Nothing wrong here, make sure you use the correct tile adhesive.

One note on mastic asphalt. I have alot of experience with this. Great stuff, perfect for your job but to have this applied your talking paying for few guys, truck with machine etc etc and would be expensive. The liquid is used in situations ( such as yours ) where it makes more economical sense plus with a few pointers you could do it yourself.

Thanks thespoofer for your advice much appreciated,decision made to remove the felt!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭Stigura

Advertisement