Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightline/Parcel Motel Thread Part 2 (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭edunne2010

Just got this in my email,

Dear Customer,

We are writing to inform you of a change that will impact all your Parcel Motel activities. Please be informed that as of January 31st the Parcel Motel services and brand will cease to exist. We are closing all Parcel Motel operations and you can no longer use the lockers for pick-up or deliveries after this date.

Our lockers remain in service until 31st of January, parcels not collected before that date will be moved to the nearest UPS facility for further transportation. For sending and/or using your virtual address we ask you to keep track of these dates, to make sure you can use our services before January 31st.

• January 22, last day to send a parcel to another member of Parcel Motel

• January 25, last day to send a parcel to an address or make a return

• January 27, last day for Irish Virtual Address check in

We thank you for using our lockers throughout the years and for being a valued customer. In the future we refer you to our other shipping and delivery options, please visit ups.com for more information and details.

If you already have a parcel to ship and would like to checkout our online rates, use promocode IEDRIVER for additional 15% off (valid until June 30, 2023).

Best regards,

The Parcel Motel team at UPS

Terms & Conditions

Privacy Policy

Support

Returns

Shop

© Parcel Motel 2022

You are receiving this email as a registered Parcel Motel member

• Was just about to post the email myself. Hardly a shock! The service basically has ceased to exist..

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

No mention of balance refund. Nice. I topped up yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Buffman

Yep, got the same email. Now I have to try and get my leftover credit refunded. They were still very handy for sending parcels domestically with much better rates than an Post, I'll miss them. I haven't checked UPS rates yet as they only quote on demand, but hopefully they're not too much dearer.

Hopefully somebody like OOHPod will buy the lockers so they can still be used.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Did the email say anything about process for credit?

Turns out, I've 3.95 left for an order I redirected in the end that I'd forgotten about.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

What are the best alternatives to ParcelMotel if any?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 juddasgoat

No and they most likely will do all they can to not refund peoples credit. What a disgrace giving people just over a weeks notice exactly the same crap they pulled with the English address little to no notice given when it was closing. Luckily for me I just topped up my account in December so I can file a charge to get my refund.

Addresspal and OOHpod

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

I only use for cheap postage within Ireland and locker storage so OOHpod is interesting, never heard of them. Cheers! Still one package in a parcel motel locker on the way to me so hopefully it gets here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Yeah I have just over a tenner in there myself. Think it'll probably be a donation to the poor folks at UPS.

Wonder would Amazon consider taking over the lockers.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

OMG i have had that letter yet and also funds in there.

So, if you wanted to get packages from a locker instead of the prying eyes of the family at the home address, what do you do now Parcel Motel had gone bang?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Redirection from UK was the core of their business but Brexit ruined that.

I'm actually surprised that it lasted as long as it did post Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Does anybody know what happened?

It seems very sudden. Normally, if it was a controlled exit, they would make the announcemenet months in advance and wind down over time and give a far more detailed annoucement (like what to do with outstanding credit, if deliveries are delayed and don't arrive until after the 31st etc). It's owned by UPS, so it's not a case that it has suddenly gone bankrupt.

Thankfully, I have an An Post locker near me (free of charge!), but they need to seriously roll them out nationwide to fill the gap left behind by Parcel Motel.

News websites don't have anything other than what we received in the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

No reference to paying back customer balances that I can see. I only have €10 left with them ...but it's still scummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Just received my email also , print out what funds you have in there while you have the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,204 ✭✭✭Tow

They did very well selling out to UPS when there was a good chance Brexit would destroy the business model. If I was a UPS shareholder I would be asking questions!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,561 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A hundred percent.

€30 million it cost them too!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

WFH has killed the generic parcel locker business also - that was a substantial element of their trade when far more people were in the office every day.

The actual locker network could be of interest to Amazon, for those who are not WFH - they do lockers in other countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Just got the email from Parcel Motel about closure, haven't use it since Brexit anyway so don't effect me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Yeah, because it doesn't look like UPS put any effort into innovating around Brexit in order for PM to survive. With the global logistics backing of UPS they could easily have pivoted to virtual addresses in France and Germany.

They could also have tried to facilitate customs with the UK. They did neither.

At least we still have an post.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

No word from them how I get any credit I have in my PM account.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

They haven't posted anything on their website about it yet, and the account top up service is still open for payments...

I didn't get an email from them either. They could improve their communications about this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

UPS bought it after the Brexit vote, although you would think they’d never heard of Brexit the way they have run it down

The email says go to ups.com for more information. Which of course has no information at all about the termination of PM. Typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 macdragon76

The option to avoid UK BrexVat is to use Amazon.De or .Es etc.

Much cheaper than UK, sometimes more Variety

• Registered Users Posts: 41 macdragon76

There is also an option to get delivered to Norn Iron to a collection locker and collect without BrexVat.

OOHPod.com

Might be expensive if you live down in Cork!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭andrewfaulk

They lost the nespresso business to An post a few months back.. I wonder was that a factor as it was likely their and ups biggest domestic account.. I used to visit the lockers at least twice a month for that, and found it very handy.. Of course An post also have lockers now which is good found pod returns..

I found parcel motel was a bit cheaper than an post for small domestic shipments, luckily I cleaned out the last of my credit yesterday on an online sale..

UPS having been scaling back a little recently and trying to improve their margins, I guess the PM lockers and nightline brand is just a victim of cost cutting

Advertisement