Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marino/Old IRA

Options
  • 12-01-2023 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

Our house in Marino is nearing it's centenary. According to Thom's Directory, it was first lived in in 1926.

Local folklore has it that the best houses in Marino were allocated to people who were active in the Old IRA. I have the first inhabitants name. Where would I find out if he was a member? The Librarian in Pearse St suggested going to Sinn Fein offices in Parnell Square. Would they have records?

Post edited by Gloomtastic! on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

Should be there used to be easy to search membership as I found a number of family members but the site has been changed so not sure of direct page.

Also I would say it was true I know Land Commission divides of farms were based on IRA membership and whether service was "first rate". In short depends who was in Government and in 1926 would have been pro FreeState who got them .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Found him in the 1911 census. A car driver from South Gloucester Road. The next generation used the house as a garage.

Family across the road, who were there from the start were called Sex. They were there for 70 years. The priests must have dreaded Rollcall every morning in the local SVP.. 😂

Fascinating afternoon in Pearse Street. I am now officially a nerd! 😷

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

It is interesting. That it is a hell of an unusual surname. Difficult one to google.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Newspaper death notices often mention if someone was a member of the Old IRA.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

There were 26 Sex's in the 1911 Census!!! I was going to say it might have been Sexsmith shortened for fun, I used hear about a family of Sexsmiths, but no, definitely 26 Sex's. God love them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Nothing like a mention of sex to bring a thread off-topic! Shame on you Gloomster, and you a Mod!😀

Did you find him in the BMH files?

Swathes of Marino (e.g. Croydon Park & the SE end of Griffith Ave.) were financed by deals done on the ‘reparations’ paid after the War of Ind. and Civil War. I agree largely with Rushes above – the Land Commission divvy-up was politically tainted, its records are still under lock and key in Port Laoise and no access allowed, even to academics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I’m just reporting the facts Mick Tator, you’ll get no salacious gossip here. 😂

There are a few mentions of a similar name in the BMH. But looks like it’s the Kerry branch of the family as opposed the Dubliner I’m looking for. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Advertisement