Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Would it be fair to say you prefer comic universes to be dark, gritty and disturbing? Because that's been DCs specialty and look where that's got them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Marvel were going for just quantiity and pumping their own gender/identity/social political ideals into their movies

You're either a person who sees this boogeyman everywhere or just get annoyed when all main actors aren't white men.

The only case you might have is She Hulk and that was simply amazing trolling by them, knowing exactly how people who have the same mindset as you would react and then baking it into their story. It probably took away from the overall show but added to the 4th wall breaking element.

I'd say there were far more situations where Marvel had the opportunity to actually touch on these topics more but disappointedly shied away from tackling them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

No, i dont even know how you came to that conclusion with what i posted, as stated in my post phase 1-3 were great. Phase 4 has been sh!t.

Phase 1-3 focusing on providing entertainment and bringing the comic books to life

Phase 4 entertainment takes a back seat and we box check diversity castings and make it the main marketing focus and then call anybody racist/biggot/incel that doesnt like the crap put out.. 🙄

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

My "problem" with Shang-Chi, as it were, was it felt curiously ... retrograde? Archaic? By that I mean that crazy, super-powered Martial Arts was already quite common in cinema and wasn't necessarily something unique the MCU was bringing to the table. The bus fight was a lot of fun & definitely the film's highpoint when it came to choreography, but stacked up against the genre?

I dunno, there's such a wealth of everything from the serious like Crouching Tiger, to the deeply silly with Shaolin Soccer - or indeed the very very silly like Everything, Everywhere All At Once - Shang-Chi came off at times more like ... I dunno, Bulletproof Monk or one of those lazy Matrix clones from the early 2000s. And speaking of, there's The Matrix of course; the Western juggernaut when it came to super-powered Martial Arts & one that remains peerless.

I dare not mention the trigger words "CGI Finales" but I do think that was one specific example where less would have been so much more. While sometimes we had that cheat with excessive chopping and cutting that ruined the impact of the ballet.

No i just call it like i see's it, i can name loads of movies/shows with "Strong female leads" that are actually just good, or countless movies/shows that dont include a white male lead.

And yeah they made she-hulk soo bad so they could troll people that didnt like it, that is soooo amazing 🙄

"I'd say there were far more situations where Marvel had the opportunity to actually touch on these topics more but disappointedly shied away from tackling them." - Shied away from what exactly? do you mean do more of exactly what im saying has dragged phase 4 into the mud? haha why would you want them to do that? Should the only real goal be to entertain their fans? 🤯

• Advertisement

And the way you see 'it' is narrow minded and incredibly predictable - it is that exact sort of predictability that was used in She Hulk.

They weren't trolling people who didn't like the show, they were trolling the usual toxic group who went for how the character said, looked, and acted in the same way that is done to other characters and in the real world with celebrities. They were able to then include similar comments in the show, many near verbatim of things that were all over the internet and even in the thread here.

There are plenty of things that were wrong with Phase 4 but the only way anyone could identify 'gender/identity/social political ideals' as being one of them is if a person was either seeking it out or just incredibly fragile. You're the other side of the horseshoe from the SJW feminists that are offended by everything and just as predictable.

On your other point, the easiest example of how they shied away from actually dealing with the topics was in Falcon & Winter Soldier. They had plenty of opportunity to tackle race in America in much great depth in that show. It was a consistent undercurrent but it could have been much more interesting rather than some of the more globalist themes they focused on, though some look at the impact of the Blip was needed in Phase 4, it is a pity that BP2 had to change so much. The post Captain America super soldiers were touched on but would have been great to see that expanded further - though it might be a set up that they go back to at another point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

The problem I had with Shang-Chi was that he was BY FAR the least interesting character in the movie. I mean this isn't an unusual phenomenon but in this, it was startling. I mean, OK, you are not gonna compete with Tony Leung, that's a given. The man is fantastic. And THEN you had Michelle Yeoh. 'nuff said there too! But he was outshone by pretty much everyone. His character was pleasant enough but he was just so bland. I mean I even liked his friend. I know she grated a bit but she was pretty funny. I know she's huge but that was the first time I'd seen her in anything and I thought she was fun. You could tell that she was a comedian as opposed to someone simply given funny lines.

And then the obligatory CGI-fest at the end.

I agree that the last phase seemed to be mostly filler. I know it's all building up to a multiverse thingie with the next phase so it's not ACTUAL filler but it certainly felt like it.

I actually enjoyed Falcon. Thought it was interesting and a good path forward to the next Captain America movie. Like most, I thought the pontificating at the end was heavy-handed but I did enjoy the savage undercutting from Bucky immediately after :D.

I enjoyed Hawkeye for the bit of fun it was. Excellent comic timing on Seinfield. It was just some good build-up-to-Christmas fun.

Wandavision started strong. Especially during the timing shifts. Thought that was clever. But thought it lost focus at the end.

I found Loki a strange one. It just.... It just didn't gel with me for some reason. Nothing I could put my finger on. I just think maybe it's enough with Loki.

Miss Marvel, I haven't finished. I'll give it a go again but I think I was burnt out by then

She-Hulk. It was OK..... I thought the chemistry between her and Daredevil was GREAT and they were a couple of fun episodes but I got just a bit tired of the CONSTANT 4th wall breaking (Even before the suoer-meta end)

Moon Knight did nothing for me

As for the movies:

Dr Strange also did nothing for me. I thought it was better than the first but I thought the first was Marvel's weakest movie. You know something is bad when a 5-min cameo-fest is all anyone remembers.

Eternals was oh so very pretty but, again, oh so very bland but this time they were ALL bland.

Thor was poor. I love Waititi's stuff. Wilderpeople is one of my favourite movies and I loved what he did with Thor in Ragnarok. Thought that was great. But it's the ago-old story of sometimes you have to reign a director in and focus them.

Black Widow almost looked like a TV movie and would have bombed HARD had it been released in the cinema. BUT!!!!!! It did bring Florence Pugh into the MCU which almost totally redeems it

Black Panther 2. Quite enjoyed it. Enjoyed the first one a LOT (Apart from the CGI-end of course). Angela Basset was amazing (Hey, it's Angela Basset. What would you expect). It was good but just couldn't live up to the first.

As it was mentioned above, Spiderman. I loved that. I know it's whatever with the MCU but I REALLY enjoyed it.

Regarding the next Phase. I know nothing about Kang other than I keep thinking of Krang from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. But then I knew nothing about Thanos either. I did not grow up with ANY of the comics. My only early brush with Marvel was The Incredible Hulk on TV. And I still have no knowledge of the comics.

But.... I don't know. This whole multiverse thing just seems like a REAL handy way to expand the MCU too-easily. To go the DC route and basically shoehorn as many new characters in as possible to movies as fast as possible. And to bring back characters that shouldn't be. It other words, I think the whole multiverse is a total cash grab. One could say that about all the phases but this seems more overt

Seek it out? the entire phase 4 is riddled with it, of course its going to be critiqued, and when its the driving force of the show/movie and thats all it has going for it, its always going to be looked at in a negative light, which it was, but yeah, continue to pawn me off as an ist/phobe whatever to protect your own views ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,582 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I enjoyed phase 4. Some real variety and risks, and while not everything paid off (Eternals), wat least you can't accuse it of being one note. Dr Strange was a great change in tone, Spider-man maybe the best comic book movie in years, and Black Panther 2 had real heart. The biggest dud was Thor, which was also the most "MCU" of the movies.

And the TV stuff really expanded and enriched the universe. Can't say I watched all the shows, but Wandavision, Loki and FATW were way more interesting than a lot of the past movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

agree... good post..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,017 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Phase 4 was always going to be a bit of a balls. You've lost the big hitters and the main thing the MCU was building towards, then the Disney+ shows were going to take wildly different styles to utilise the longer-form storytelling, and there was a definite element of over-saturation.

After that, some things just didn't work. Thor, Eternals and Black Widow were all mostly duds. Some of the shows had great moments and episodes but a lot of filler too. And I think Phase 3 brought the MCU-hype levels so high that Phase 4 was just always going to disappoint.

I would hope that with Quantumania now properly setting up Kang as the looming threat, beginning to see a payoff for things set up in Phase 4, and lessons learnt from Phase 4 in that quality is better than quantity (particularly when it comes to the D+ shows and then theyre integration to the movies), I'm still hopeful for the coming Phases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭kerplun k

There’s no defending She Hulk IMO. Complete hatchet job from Jessica Gao. she had one of the most likeable leads going and drove her into the ground.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Someone in the TV thread likened it to as if someone watched a YouTube compilation of whacky Ally McBeal moments, without actually bothering to understand the context - or indeed how courtrooms work. I was surprised how badly the first overt sitcom in the MCU flubbed the comedy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I enjoyed She Hulk for the absolute fluff it was.

I did think they could have done more with the legal side of things and they dumbed it down too much (not expecting realism, but it just felt pointless half the time because there was little logic to it), and the show was probably an episode or two too long, but overall I enjoyed She-Hulk. It ended up being a lot of fun and had a great lead.

Deleted

Deleted

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wrong thread I think @kerplun k - unless the MCU and Premier League have finally crossed over ;)

The Good Fight has been a recent example of comedic court cases done well, and why I found the ones here so overcranked; the former was pitched with a deeply wry, WTF-is-going-on energy via great topicality. She Hulk went for full on farce that never worked for me, and seemed at times to not understand the basics of how courts work? That was especially weird.

I dunno, maybe it's my fault cos I did step into the show thinking it would have more ... I dunno, robust stories of superpowers and the law. That I was expecting one type of show when it clearly had other plans and never adjusted my expectations. Not dry courtroom drama but at least something that made me go "oh, yeah, what would happen if X happened?". Though it didn't help Jessica's coworkers were phenomenally irritating people.

Loki ended up having way more fun with MCU bureaucracy, so that was weird and unexpected!

Yes - you're very clearly seeking out reasons to be offended and/or annoyed.

If 'gender/identity/social political ideals' 'riddled' phase 4 you should be able to give a decent list of examples of it that go beyond the She-Hulk show and powerful lead non-white/male characters simply existing in other shows and movies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah, 2 eps into Loki and i really like the premise and acting but I've fallen asleep by the end of each ep (i have been very tired watching them) so will use catchup for them. Will do the same with falcon. Will try watch Ms. Marvel and Hawkeye down the road before they get expended upon.

You'll likely need Ms Marvel before The Marvels is released this summer. Would definitely recommend watching this rather than just doing a catch-up

For Hawkeye I'd say you're probably safe to save it for the run up to Christmas. Think it would be a bit of a waste to watch it at any other time and given your backlog I don't think you'll be watching Echo as soon as it comes out, which is likely the only 2023 release that Hawkeye will impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

When are we expecting MCU Suicide Squad Thunderbolts?

Summer next year. Likely to be tied pretty closely to Captain America 3 earlier in the summer.

I'd kinda be inclined to keep going with Loki if you can. The last episode is pretty major for the next few phases of the MCU, and even then the 5th episode is actually a lot of fun by itself and well worth watching. A catchup wouldn't do either justice.

Edit: Fair warning though, episode 3 isn't great from what I remember, but it does keep getting better after that.

Post edited by Penn on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Ford is around 10 years older than William Hurt was and looks even older but I’m not overly bothered as casting Ford is like casting Glenn Close - they just want to throw in a big name to boost a movie. Hopefully Ford gets to do more than just collect the paycheck.

I’d be more interested in Mark Hamill joining the MCU.

I’ve seen the current line up for the Thunderbolts movie and it is very disappointing - 3 super soldiers? That is very unimaginative. There is a ton of unused characters/abilities to chose from - I don’t understand why they are not using them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Angry. Not looking for Wakanda thread.

Where are the Avengers when Wakanda is in distress?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

One of the worst movies I have ever seen.

I'm a super Marvel fan 😢

• Advertisement

That's been an argument since crossovers in comics became the norm - but the answer is usually "so the movie/comic can happen". DC being more egregious by the fact any problem in its world is solved by Superman raising an eyebrow.

The resting excuse tends to just be that the Avengers are off doing something else.

Advertisement