Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Not everyone has to shift and no forcing required. Just create a system that favors the more efficient forms of transport within the city and provide everyone an easy means to access them and the rest will take care of itself. If people want to stick with the car, that's perfectly fine, but they should have lower priority around the city.

i'm cool with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Exactly - efficiency but also to give people the real choice. That has been lacking for decades here.

If we had the modal share our towns and Citys had back in the 70/80's we would be doing very well.

Update from GCC posted on Facebook on the Millars Lane upgrade works

Millers Lane Update January 2023 

The Millers Lane upgrade project is progressing well on the ground. Its completion will provide an urban permeability route in the Knocknacarra area, linking Rahoon Road and Kingston Road. 

The upgrade will support permeability into adjacent estates, providing off-road walking and cycling routes for residents. Millers Lane will link into the wider Galway City Cycle Network, supporting travel by bike beyond the Knocknacarra/ Rahoon area. 

Progress update 

Laneway paving works on the Northern leg of the lane will commence in the coming week with lighting and landscaping to follow shortly afterwards.

Civil works on the Southern leg of the laneway will commence in the coming weeks, with the lane closed to the public for 6 to 8 weeks while construction works are completed.

Works to bring drainage and utility services across the Western Distributor Road will occur early Friday morning 13th January, starting at 3am, with works to be completed prior to the morning rush hour/school traffic. 

An additional pedestrian crossing is been incorporated into the project scope on the Rahoon Road to complement the permeability route.

The project is programmed to be completed in March 2023.

Dublin rd upgrade going to public consultation

BusConnects Galway: Dublin Road - Non Statutory Public Consultation

BusConnects Galway: Dublin Road is a continuous 4km transport corridor which starts east of Moneenageisha Junction to Doughiska Road Junction and includes significant landmarks and trip attractors along the route.

The proposed transportation corridor is a high quality pedestrian, cyclist and public transport facility which will balance transport needs with the unique sensitivities of the local environment.

Feedback on the emerging preferred option is now invited as part of the second non-statutory public consultation on the BusConnects Galway: Dublin Road proposals.

The Consultation period is from Friday 13th January 2023 to Friday 10th of February 2023 online at www.bcgdublinroad.ie

An in person consultation will be held on Monday 23rd January 2023 15:00 – 19:00

in the Renmore Community Centre.

Barry Transportation (the designers) together with Galway City Council representatives will be available in Renmore Community Centre on the day to explain the scheme and answer any questions/queries that the public may have.

The design team can be contacted by email info@bcgdublinroad.ie or phone on 1800 911 090. You can book a meeting with a member of the team through the virtual room.

Project Website linked below

Theres one of those virtual info rooms on the site where you can explore all the project info and make a submission

5 min video giving a flyover of the route

There's a lot to like and some niggly bits I don't like. For example, the bit between Doughiska/Roscam junction and the coast road junction is the only bit without a bike lane on both side, meaning anyone coming from Roscam has to cross over to use a bit of a 2 way bike lane, then cross back over again as it reverts to a one way bike lane. Its a 500m section and I can't understand why the bike lanes are not on both sides on this section. the space appears to be there unless there is something I am missing. See below

One thing I do like is its the first project that looks to be incorporating some kind of protected junctions in its design. Its not a brilliant design, but its not bad either.

I would encourage everyone to make a submission

An example of whats planned

• Advertisement

In Roscam, the newer estates allow access to the Coast Road so they would probably just go through there and join at the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭jkforde

thanks DaCor, it's a very well done consultation & fly thru. these virtual rooms are great, and this one worked flawlessly on mobile. just left general feedback since I don't live near and rarely travel the route.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭rustyfrog

Anyone know what type of surface they're going for on the updated Millars Lane? Smooth tarmac or gravel?

I believe its tarmac, but full details are on the page below if you want to go digging

https://www.galwaycity.ie/millerslane

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭rustyfrog

"30mm DENSE MACADAM ASPHALTIC CONCRETE"

Thanks - sounds like it'll be smooth so; perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭ratracer

Will there be much CPO’s / land aquisition delays on the Dublin Road corridor?

I had a look at the vid Dacor posted earlier, and while I was contributing to the slow crawl of traffic out that way this evening, I can’t see how all those lanes will fit along the route, even if they are narrowed down to a bare 2.5m wide each.

I think CPO's are a given for projects like this, couldn't tell you where though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

Pauline O' Reilly talking about it here, though it's more a discussion about the general traffic situation then the specifics of the Bus Connects.

Hard to believe we're only starting to try and get this over the line in 2022. I am very much coming around to the idea that there's been a massive over-reliance on the bypass. For one of Ireland's main cities, public transport and infrastructure for same/active travel is truly abysmal.

I’m not a fan of either/or-ing the hated ringroad/cycleway and other improvements like this. In my mind it’s all good, but of course the hate (which we don’t need to go over) of dfferent sides to different things means things like the ring road & cycleway don’t get over the line.

Question now is who could hate this enough to stop it? Because it doesn’t take much to stop public works building in Galway.

Subject to planning approval, BusConnects projects will happen regardless.

The benefits of them are simply too great and it makes zero sense to not do them.

I’m not on about the merits (which I see), I’m on about the people (which we all should know seeing what gets objected to in this city). The only thing that gets things built in Galway is a lack of haters. If this impacts one garden then that could set it back years through courts.

Access to the legal system is a right for all regardless of the project. That being said legal actions taken to stop CPO's rarely succeed. Maybe this will be the same, maybe it'll be different, time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

From commentary elsewhere, the CPOs are limited to narrow strips of green space from non-residential properties. No buildings or private gardens are to be impacted.

Post edited by Unrealistic on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I think the exit of Merlin Hospital should be moved up to the junction at Galway Crystal and a tunnel should be built under the railway line at Murrough House to open up those lands for development. That new exit from the hospital can move along the tree line as much as possible and come in at the new Ambulance Base. Close of old exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭ratracer

AFAIR that was a long term plan anyway ( Merlin Entrance) when they put in the lights in at Galway Crystal, but I think moving the gate got scuppered by people not wanting to cut down the trees to allow this happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

It would be nice to improve the bus stop outside of GMIT. There is a lot of buses especially on a Friday that stop there so proper facilities would be a great addition.

Otherwise it looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

There was plans in the early 00's for the development of a promenade stretching from the old pier at murrough to Ballyloughnane and 3 hotels and housing along seafront, GK was the company involved if I recall correctly.Also included road bridge over railway line at murrought house.

Post edited by kabakuyu on

Good to hear but Cpo's will affect house owners and business owners on the college road end of the bus corridor.

If they are on College Rd they would fall under the Cross City Link project rather than this one no?

Ok, but all linked surely? cant have one without the other if you want it to work.Not knocking it BTW, was gonna get a leap card myself😉

Loads of land to the front of ATU(new fancy name) that should be CPO'd, have a proper set down and pick up for PT.

Yeah, all linked as in they fall under the BusConnects heading, but otherwise they are separate projects, separate CPO's, planning etc

Was just asking for my own understanding as I was looking at a map trying to see what properties might be impacted and wasn't sure if you meant actually on College Rd or that end of Dublin rd.

"

The upgrade will support permeability into adjacent estates, providing off-road walking and cycling routes for residents. Millers Lane will link into the wider Galway City Cycle Network, supporting travel by bike beyond the Knocknacarra/ Rahoon area. 

"

No changes have been done on the permeability side into adjoining estates. Will be exactly same as before. Very disappointing not to have link into Cruachan Park. Improving access link at Gaelscoil Mhic Amhlaigh is welcome but nothing for Gort Gréine or Cruchan. Same goes for the next phase of the Southern Section.

Can think of one property that they must have had eyes on for CPO here. Opposite Duggans, beside Connacht Hotel, but priority bus traffic lights will have to work here instead. The big CPO of private house/demolish (2-4 houses ) I am aware of that the City Council have is a non BUS measure. They want to widen the St Brendans Road Avenue / Dyke Road / Headford Road junction to increase traffic throughput and widen footpaths for pedestrians.

• Advertisement

Thats disappointing. I was under the impression they were going to link as many estates as possible into it. By my count there's 7 estates they could "easily" link into it

Gort Greine, Ros Geal, Cruchan, Gort na Bro, Grangemore, Garrai De Brun & Manor Ave

Looking at the doc's they have 6 potential links marked

But then in the report they state "It is not GCC’s intention to open up any permeability to the lane without the broad consensus of the residents’ associations."

They do go on to state

So there is scope there to add access, just needs to be asked for from the RA's. Seem's like a backward approach to not include it during construction

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement