Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Dec 22 Assembly Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Just curious why you're describing MLMD as the 'party leader'? Why the '....'? Are you indicating that she's not really the party leader?

You'll excuse the confusion - we regularly see Michelle O'Neill as the face of SF up north. So we'd be excused for thinking she is the de facto leader of SF in NI and particularly in relation to matters re the protocol and so on. That's been the spin for several years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Michelle O’Neil accepted the invite and was then leaned on and done the u turn. Mary Lou knew before she left Dublin that she wasn’t able to invite herself and wouldn’t get in.

SDLP were really sucked in

Here’s a wee example from bbc radio ulster today. This is what the use of the threat of violence to get checks on Irish Sea a few years ago has brought us to.

https://youtu.be/jLn5nMRRSuU

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I haven't the energy to be listening to the Nolan show or dealing with the head-melting stuff in some of your earlier posts.

However, I'd be curious to your thoughts on HMG planning on building the border infrastructure which sounds like they are going to completely ignore the NI unionists yet again...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Advertisement

This was on cards since Sunak took over and immediately changed the mood music with us in the EU.

He is effectively snookered, he and the UK cannot afford a trade war.

I haven’t read your links but my understanding is that the customs posts are required for the red lanes ie goods heading into eu countries. I don’t think there is any intention to use them for goods staying in ni. They are still in the wrong place but if we can assist our neighbours by checking their stuff here (and keeping the jobs here) to save them the hassle of doing this on a 300 mile international border then so be it. We have bigger fish to fry

I don’t want to melt your head. Ignore the rest above but answer this puzzle for me.

“what does Leo mean when he said again today that the protocol was implemented too strictly? I am baffled because the protocol is currently protocol super-light. Grace periods galore and practically none of the checks we have been told by eu would be necessary.”

…..and it’s still implemented too strictly?

Apparently he said: “I’ve acknowledged that the way the protocol was implemented was too strict and too rigid and that created difficulties for people and I’m totally of the view that we can work together to make changes that are necessary that can get back to a very low number of checks”

What's difficult to follow about that? The UK by not only choosing to become a third country but to leave the EU with a form of hard Brexit (at the DUP's behest, left trading barriers between the UK and EU which weren't there beforehand. Leo would like these barriers removed.

On that basis, I presume by your satisfaction of an Taoiseach's comment regarding the implementation the protocol, you also acknowledge what he also said:

I have never used the threat of violence in politics, I’m totally opposed to the use of violence in politics and I don’t think it’s ever justified in a democracy.

What I did was express concerns at the time, concerns held by the chief constable and the garda commissioner that the re-establishment of border posts north and south could lead to violence.

“There’s a very big difference between warning or expressing concerns about violence and threatening it and I certainly didn’t do that.

...and you'll stop trying to use this as some form of nonsensical political capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Once again, you lie. No threat of violence has ever been used to get checks on the Irish Sea. The Irish Sea checks were introduced by UK Brexiters, in pursuit of their objective of hard Brexit, which has never been something that IRL or Irish republicans have ever wanted or worked for (but Loyalists have enthusiastically supported). Indeed, the lie is pathetically stupid; IRL's interests clearly align with the least possible barriers to trade across the Irish Sea, so why would we press for Irish Sea checks? I'm tired of pointing all this out. Again.

This is a pattern of behaviour. You always appear conciliatory when cornered on it, but never actually admit that you have been lying. Then, after a brief lapse of time, you repeat the lie.

You pose as somebody concerned to protect the GFA, but the pretence is undermined by this pattern of systematically stoking community tensions by blaming Irish people for the harms inflicted on Northern Ireland by Brexiters and their useful idiot supporters in NI. You should probably drop the pretence; whatever purpose it may once have had, it can no longer serve. It is too transparently dishonest.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Advertisement

Nasty accusations against me simply because we disagree. That aside, you are dancing on the head of a pin when you blame solely the Uk for any Irish Sea checks. It’s nonsense.

i think you know right well that the additional nonsensical checks would not be introduced if the eu were not demanding them. To suggest the Uk desire to check goods destined from gb to ni, is nonsense and well you know it.

eg you are really trying to tell us that the insistence that my daughters dog must have a rabies vaccine moving from one part of the Uk to another, is because the Uk think it is necessary?? Get real!

You again fail to address the two main outstanding questions I have posed.

1) what is the difference in Leo raising ‘the possibility of violence is very real’ and unionists now raising ‘the possibility of violence is very real’. Both clearly done it at a time they thought it would strengthen their hand and influence eu & Uk ? You quote Leo “I have never used the threat of violence in politics, I’m totally opposed to the use of violence in politics and I don’t think it’s ever justified in a democracy.” This is exactly what Paisley and Robinson would have said in the bad old days when they used the threat of loyalist violence to strengthen their hand

2) why did Leo say that the protocol has been implemented too strictly? What has been implemented too strictly? If he believes this and commits to not implement anything additional to what is currently implemented then we will be very close to sorting this whole mess out. I can’t see much that has been implemented around checks that is a problem. The peace is not going to collapse over a dog requiring a rabies vaccine. So what did he mean and give me a few examples of stuff that has been implemented that is ‘too strict’ - and while you are at it, give me a few examples of what mistakes he believes he made?

as for your request. Certainly I will stop raising these points as political capital if you can address my points above!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's more than "disagreement" to suggest that Varadkar's comments about violence were made to secure Irish Sea checks, because (a) they were made long before Irish Sea checks were on the agenda, and (b) IRL very much does not want Irish Sea checks. They were made to avoid a hard border. Very much later, English Brexiters decided that the way they wished to avoid a hard border was with Irish Sea checks.

And, no, the EU did not demand them; the UK did. It's a matter of objective historical fact that a WA not incorporating the NI Protocol was negotiated, agreed and signed between the EU and the UK and that it was the UK which changed its mind, repudiated the first version of the WA and asked for the insertion of the NI Protocol. The notion that the EU wanted Irish Sea checks and somehow influenced the hard Brexiters in the UK to follow this course is ludicrous. We know why the hard Brexiters asked for the Protocol; it was not to gratify Ireland or the EU, and I do not believe that you honestly think it was.

As for why the UK thinks your daughter's dog rabies vaccine is necessary — they think it's necessary to achieve their objectives of (a) hard Brexit for the UK but (b) no hard border in Ireland. They prioritise both of these above the GFA/the Union — and they are the only people who do; you cannot blame others for this. The tension between those two objectives, and the direction in which they must lead the UK, was pointed out again and again, pretty much from the get-go, by many different observers, and the warnings were dismissed and derided by the hard Brexiters, who were cheered every step of the way by their useful idiots in Ulster. And when they finally had to confront reality and had to make a choice, Irish Sea checks were the choice they made, because that was the one that reflected their priorities. They weren't pushed into that choice by the EU. We know this because we know what the EU's choice was — it's a matter of public record. And it wasn't that.

You need to stop excusing, enabling and deflecting attention from the abuse of Northern Ireland by the Westminster elites. As long as unionists keep enabling this treatment it will continue, and the damage it does to the peace process will be entrenched and magnified. We are starting to pass the point where this behaviour can credibly be excused as idiocy; it begins to look like something more sinister.

1) what is the difference in Leo raising ‘the possibility of violence is very real’ and unionists now raising ‘the possibility of violence is very real’. Both clearly done it at a time they thought it would strengthen their hand and influence eu & Uk ? You quote Leo “I have never used the threat of violence in politics, I’m totally opposed to the use of violence in politics and I don’t think it’s ever justified in a democracy.” This is exactly what Paisley and Robinson would have said in the bad old days when they used the threat of loyalist violence to strengthen their hand

Leo, as I have quoted, echoed the concerns from the chiefs of both the PSNI and AGS about the likleihood of violence by the introduction of a physical border on this island. This border, had it gone ahead, would have been as a result of the changes made by HMG through their choice of Brexit (something that was rejected by the people of NI). This happened, as you have been told, prior to the NIP being discussed.

Unionists now raising the possibility of violence is different. Any threat of violence by loyalists is as a direct result of the British government and this threat has been encouraged by the likes of the DUP who appear to have given it some form of legitimacy. Effectively what you have is British people complaining that their Britishness has been affected by the actions of the British government. Yet they are threatening everyone except those responsible (not that they should be threatening anyone).

Either way, violence is wrong. However, the DUP gave a political platform to the loyalists thugs and from memory didn't condemn the threats but in fact used them as political leverage against the NIP.

Now while both terrorist threats may have been real, Leo's putting the possibility of violence on the table was done to encourage HMG to choose a form of Brexit that avoided any kind of violence. The Loyalist threat is being done to remove something that was chosen by the British government. The loyalists wanted Brexit. They got Brexit. They then threaten violence because of Brexit.

2) why did Leo say that the protocol has been implemented too strictly? What has been implemented too strictly? If he believes this and commits to not implement anything additional to what is currently implemented then we will be very close to sorting this whole mess out. I can’t see much that has been implemented around checks that is a problem. The peace is not going to collapse over a dog requiring a rabies vaccine. So what did he mean and give me a few examples of stuff that has been implemented that is ‘too strict’ - and while you are at it, give me a few examples of what mistakes he believes he made?

It is not for me to say what Leo has in his head and hasn't disclosed. Maybe try contacting him...

However, my understanding is that by the UK deciding to leave the various European groupings (SM, CU, etc) and becaome a third country which stupidly placed huge barriers to trade, movement of people and so on. The NIP which is part of the WA has soiught to minimise these and whilst there have been flexibilities built into the NIP, they haven't really been applied because the UK still hasn't done the basic commitments such as data sharing.

When the UK does these, things will be a lot easier between NI and Britain.

As for specific examples, would you ever feck off!

as for your request. Certainly I will stop raising these points as political capital if you can address my points above!

In terms of you raising them as political capital, you are making stuff up. You are twisting things said by Leo and others. You are lying to get your agenda across. I'm asking you to stop. Next time, I will put on my mod hat and tell you to stop this behaviour.

...and just to repeat what I and others have said several times - the UK (and the UK alone) have made the decision to leave the EU. The UK (and the UK alone) have made their choice on the form of exit from the EU. The UK (and the UK alone) have made the decision to introduce checks on the Irish Sea...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think the basis of Leo's assessment is clear.

Both the PSNI and AGS have concluded that the command structure of the PIRA remains in place, even if it is currently (temporarily??) directed towards political ends (the control of Sinn Fein). However, the fact of that structure remaining in place means that the ability of the PIRA to return to violence remains as a potential development, hence the warning from Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Glaceon

At the end of the day, there has to be a border somewhere between the EU and a non-EU country. Things couldn't carry on as they were before the UK left the EU. It's either in the Irish Sea or on the land border; neither of which will satisfy both communities.

Nobody is necessarily disputing the presence of a border - it's more the presence of physical infrastructure is what becomes a target for vandalism and eventually terrorism.

What Leo was warning against was the likleihood that a physical border between NI and the EU woiuld attract vandals which would eventually require police presence and as the vandalism escalated, this would eventually require military protection and so on. This has been discussed at length and has been acknowledged by the two police forces. This was after the various nonsensical suggestions by various British MPs for technological solutions using technology that doesn't exist (or rather cannot exist).

However, the British government's eventual choice (after the DUP scuppered their other options) was to have the border checks at a point where there always have been some checks between GB and NI. This was initially hailed as a success before the DUP decided to u-turn and oppose the NIP.

The mask is slipping on this one. The expectations are that an agreement will soon determine that there are red lanes and green lanes. So stiff heading for the south will be checked in Belfast in the red lane. Goods solely for NI will go through the green lanes unchecked.

now here is where the mask slips. We will have loads of gb produced goods in ni and the eu will trust that companies don’t move them into eu, there will be zero checking and no border to prevent them moving into roi. So why can’t the eu apply the same trust at the Irish Sea.

And of course we know that newry etc will be awash with southern shoppers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

As has been pointed out before, there will be an element of trust that goods destined solely for NI will not find themselves south of the border.

This 'trust' will be backed by market surveillance, and transgressions will be examined and investigated. It was Irish surveillance that uncovered the 'horse meat' scandal involving Eastern European gangsters a while back.

If it is significant, then action will be taken to stop such breaches of trust, which I would presume result in an increase in checks at the NI ports. As the UK moves away from EU standards, as they have indicated they will, then such checks will be increased to a level required to keep goods that do not comply to EU standards out of the EU.

Chlorinated chicken, hormone fed beef and such nasty food would be one of the groups of products that I am sure those living in NI would like to be excluded from NI as well as the EU.

SPS inspections are there to keep disease out of the island of Ireland, and pre-date the NI protocol. Those are necessary and are some of the points objected to by the DUP.

• Advertisement

What mask? What on earth are you on about? It is as if you really have absolutely no understanding of the agreement made between the UK and the EU and are solely listening to ill-informed nonsense.

As @Sam Russell has posted (and was always the case), what is needed for all of this to work is trust. The UK signing an agreement and immediately saying how they would not carry out their side of the agreement does not make a trusted relationship.

The UK now under Sunak has started toning down the "the EU is our enemy" hyperbole and appears to be having meaningful discussions with their EU counterparts and beginning to introduce the basics of what they agreed. It appears that the UK now want that relationship (which is why you see them introducting the legislation for checks on the Irish Sea for example).

I think Unionism has realised that their threat to devolution and powersharing is a damp squib. Are they begining to climb down?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Which of the stages of grief does this map to? Trying to explain away the border in the Irish Sea being very very real, the protocol staying and the DUP going under the Wrightbus for another set of tyre tracks.

Oh there is no way that will be accepted. I think you have misunderstood my post. I am simply pointing out the nonsense of the eu checks

I think it is obvious that the eu have caved on the requirements to check masses of goods moving from gb to ni. Unfortunately that is not the main issue. So don’t be mistaken that unionists will accept this. This, when announced, will just be another stop on the journey. We’ll bank it and move on to the next issue. The crocodiles have a big appetite.

if you think there is the remotest chance of the red lanes / green lanes being enough to get stormont up again then you are far removed from reality.

Still waiting for someone to tell me what the mistakes were that Leo made and examples of implementation that has already gone too far?

Power sharing is no longer a bargaining chip.

Like when the DUP refused (and still do) to sign up to the multi party aspect of the GFA and railed against the Anglo Irish Agreement, the world will move on without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There hasn't been any EU caving, nor will there be to get the DUP back in Stormont. The UK Government, on the other hand, are the one backing down from their ridiculous position.

The Irish Sea border exists, and will remain - the DUP can accept that or continue to act like children. Very stupid children who don't realise they've never got what they wanted; except that time they forced the situation that created the protocol.

Data sharing agreed.

Border posts being built.

Protocol Bill shelved.

Talks going into the tunnel

And the DUP about to make another huge strategic blunder by ending devolution.

You couldn’t make it up really.

Folks you are answering questions that know one is asking which of course is a classic politicians tactic.

let me repeat the above

”Still waiting for someone to tell me what the mistakes were that Leo made and examples of implementation that has already gone too far?”

• Advertisement

Why don't you read what he said.

I’m sure we’ve all made mistakes in the handling of Brexit,” he told PA. “There was no road map, no manual, it wasn’t something that we expected would happen and we’ve all done our best to deal with it.”

Varadkar noted that the U.K.’s unilateral decisions not to impose full-fledged checks on goods arriving at Northern Ireland ports, as the EU wanted to happen, had not led to uncontrolled movement of goods into the Republic of Ireland, an EU member.

Referring to the reality that 85 percent of goods arriving in Northern Ireland stay within its territory, Varadkar said: “We’ve seen that the protocol has worked without it being fully enforced. And that’s why I think there is room for flexibility and room for changes.”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement