Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1,350/cow payment to cut suckler numbers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

These ad plants are actually bad potentially for biodiversity when you think about it as in cutting grass year round to feed these plants won’t give wildlife a chance.

Cattle would graze the fields leading to regrowth and sequestration and allow wildlife a space and dung would feed the soil biodiversity as well.

Farmers should be encouraged to generate green power through solar and small wind turbines etc. Farmers can also promote biodiversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They are intensive farming.

I think the represent a positive story for farming, hopefully the lads providing will do well also.

They'll be taking crops from good land, so biodiversity was always 2nd place, they however are also a shield against a religion that wants to burn farmers as heretics and sinners.

Farmers should certainly be encouraged into other environmental options.

They might help preserve farming and farming that helps biodiversity in the long run, who knows. So taking one for the team.

My home house was built in 1796, I always presumed that it was dairy that paid for it. No turns out it was flax, grown on the heavier wet ground, the ground I consider summer grazing only, not the good fields.

I often remind myself of that information, that things can flip the opposite, and opportunities can be in places that you least expect.

Danzy is back from the pub, has poured himself a measure and is feeling philosophical.

Good to see a house from the 1700 still being lived in.

The government’s plan to deal with emissions cutting may be let sinn fein deal with it or something.

Land can be multi purpose. There needs to a bit more thinking than just fire a load of land in to forestry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

Hate to burst a bubble for a few here, but there are no suggestions anywhere for 24 month finishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

The dogs on the street can see this one coming. Several article's over the past few years to soften farmers to the idea of dropping the in-spec bonus from 30 to 27 months or even lower. 27 month to the average spring-born dairy beef, puts you killing in Apr/May which is hard to do extensively for anything except maybe AAX. This would be great for the factories though, instead of having to pay higher prices in Apr/May/Jun, they'll be flooded with finished cattle at this time. Not hard to see the motivation here from processors POV. And now that the farm org's have come out with such uproar against any reduction schemes, these age reductions are all we have left to 'lower our emissions'. We'll solve the whole emissions thing by pumping cattle with Brazilian grain and a few magic boluses (all at the expense of the farmer). I better buy a good jacket though cos once these measures come in the climate is gonna cool down nicely...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

You can't help but feel the farmers involved last night walked themselves into a trap. The piece was the propaganda to get water charges on river extraction and well extraction approved. The enviros are all over this as an indirect attack on agriculture, to get revenue for themselves, whilst using the environment as cover. It especially looked well for their case when the drill went to 400ft and no water. Only for saving grace the next day when they got water at 320ft. But as anyone knows underground it's cracks and splits in rock where water flows through and you could miss a stream by 10ft and have no water.

Ear to the ground is now a government ag vehicle to push on farmers first and to get the idea accepted.

(it hasn't stopped raining in new zealand this year. Someone on here had a theory that whatever weather new zealand get. We get similar six months later. 🤷‍♂️)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭893bet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Your bonus is my penalty when it comes to finishing cattle earlier.

The Dept/processors/IFA/media might call it a bonus for "finishing" cattle U24 months, but the reality will be a penalty for animals over 24 months.

From what I saw in the IFJ report from Thomand Park's climate circus, this was the only issue that the Minister took some flak on. He pretty much admitted they had no research done on the impact this would have on price.

And obviously, it's pure coincidence that such early finishing suits processors. Seems you just have to frame whatever policy you want now in terms of the environment/climate/GHG and you'll get it.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

Plenty of suggestions as it is Government Policy ie the legally enforceable 25% reduction in Ag Emmissions

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/7bd8c-climate-action-plan-2023/

"To meet the required level of emissions reduction by 2025, we will implement the recommendations

from the Food Vision sectoral groupings regarding:

• Significantly reducing our use of chemical nitrogen as a fertiliser;

• Increasing the uptake by farmers of low-emission slurry spreading to 90%;

• Improving how farmers feed their animals by reducing the crude protein content of their

feed;

• Increasing the focus on low-methane traits within animal breeding programmes;

• Encouraging processors and farmers to reduce the average age of slaughter to 24 – 25

months"

And above that "Target 22-23 months average finishing age by 2030"

Bottom line the future is AA off Dairy Cows

Have you ever tried to finish a AAx bullock outta of Holstein cow on an only grass system cause if you did you wouldn't post a comment like that. Traditional breeds (AA, HE, SH +) when crossed on Holstein cows take an age to finish on a grass based system.

On the other hand we have the flip side of the scale - small compact JE/JEx/Kiwi cows crossed with the same traditional bred bulls produce a earlier finishing carcass but a lighter carcass in the factory.

So, which is better for the farmer to buy and rear on either as a calf, weanling or store? Which is going to leave a profit in his/her pocket? Remember the EU is most likely to ban the export of dairy bull calves (due to feed/journey times) within the next two to three years and this Country is going to be flooded with them. This year we exported 170,647 dairy bull calves and it's probably going to rise until the ban comes in - how do you think as a Country we're going to cope with the additional numbers?

https://www.bordbia.ie/farmers-growers/prices-markets/cattle-trade-prices/live-cattle-exports/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I think he is correct in that that is what they will push towards.

I agree that aax can be worse than the worst Holstein at times

I think that the EU and the Govt couldn't give a continental about the problems it will cause farmers.

Also the reduction in ration protein is going to hit weanling frames.

Loads of lads killing AAx off dairy as it is and I imagine they feed meal nothing in the proposals saying meal will not be fed assume will be brought down to 10%.

I asssume farmers will buy whatever suits can be a glorfied goat if left profit who cares no farmer gives a monkey what he is finsihing just what it leaves him. 30c bonus for the AA go a long way

Reality is the bull calves will be killed. People have no issue with male chicks being macerated alive so calves bring killed just be part and parcel as it I guess 100k a year killed at a few weeks old

Are you a keyboard warrior or even worse a fookin vegan cause you appear to assume what farmers do. That alone leads me to believe that you are not a farmer - "I assume farmers will buy whatever suits can be a glorfied goat if left profit who cares no farmer gives a monkey what he is finsihing just what it leaves him. 30c bonus for the AA go a long way"

You don't have a clue about the current livestock slaughter/export figures in Ireland cause if you are involved in livestock industry you would know where to obtain the official DAFM figures.

You quote an article from The Irish Times and comment as thus - "so calves bring killed just be part and parcel as it I guess 100k a year killed at a few weeks old" - can you back up your statement with official DAFM figures?

No

Not sure sure what your issue is very to obtain the stats a 1 min job

2021 figures there page 39 think 18000 dairy bull calves killed in Spring 2021 and that is about it 2022 according to the article is higher. Luckily only being killed in Spring so not so bad. Been involved either myself or immdiate family in beef, sheep, dairy and tillage so reasoanably familiar with farming.

Average Base...Average

Current average is 26 months..

Range 16 to 36...

How practical is the government plan.

1 million electric cars by 2030. Total daft.

They will end up relying heavily on forestry.

• Advertisement

They've dropped the million electric cars target.

It's now as many as they can acheive.

Electric cars rely on pretty much slave labour in my opinion to mine cobalt etc in the Congo by poor people on low wages including kids.

They need to reprioritise generating green energy at home to use for electricity including heating.

Farm efficiencies can be found but more importantly farmers can offer an energy generation platform and use efficiencies in clover / breeding / methane reducing supplements etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The plan appears to have been but together by a crowd with very little real world knowledge of actual sustainability or Ecology. Just rushed box ticking and trendy Greenwash, as illustrated by the utterances of that clown Fitzgerald over the last few months. A guy who has no qualification in any of the relevant areas but is a pillar of the current political establishment

Exactly. They need to put time in to it.

They couldn’t solve housing. They cocked up the children’s hospital.

They either take climate change seriously with a real strategy that protects Irish interests and produces local energy or they are aiming for failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭mf240

I see larry got the suckler reduction scheme withdrawn

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Silverdream

I don't understand these figures, does it mean 18000 were fattened and killed? I thought we exported most of the dairy calves

Jesus. You are obsessed with sucklers. You need to go out and “touch grass”

To be fair the Beef Plan lads and I think the Independent Farmers of Ireland opposed it too.

"Corley explained that BPM found it is difficult to understand why the department would tarnish the reputation of the suckler sector by recommending an exit/reduction scheme.

“This sends out a message that our suckler farms are problematic for the environment and are net polluters. We are urging the farm minister to reconsider taking this action.”

• Advertisement

Angus Woods is a basically a hypocrite. He advocates for a suckler reduction scheme while maintaining cows himself.

It’s been said before and he even says it that there is a continuing natural reduction in suckler cow numbers. Most of the time farmers exit suckler cows to enter dairy or rent their farms to expanding dairy farmers.

Any reduction scheme be it beef of dairy does nothing to reduce the emissions of the active herd.

New Zealand is focusing on reducing the emissions of the active herd and I believe that is the way forward.

A lot of lads on here beating the drum for reduction schemes are either unwilling to go in to dairy cows or are unwilling to go down the calf to beef route.

Advertisement