Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I played that, on the PS1, back in the 90s as a teenager and it was the one & only time I phoned one of those helplines. Being as it was before the era of the internet and it wasn't a game well covered by the magazines of the time either.

Did on a payphone of all things; it cost a fortune per minute and of course, the speaker on the phone spoke reallllly slowwlllllyyyy...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

My new LG OLED arrived today, it's an amazing difference, it's the first time I've ever had one.

Everything has so much more depth thanks to the deep blacks it can produce. When you have floating particles and a deep background it's like looking through a window rather than a flat image. God of War just looks spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Watch the 4K version of Alien on it, you can thank me later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,916 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Lights off in the room..when the screen goes black the whole room is black. None of that grey backlight 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 29,807 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Girlfriend Reviews giving a behind the scenes look at HBO The Last of Us special event they were invited to, if anyone's interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I lasted five minutes. They're supremely annoying.

Edit ... I was going to complain about YouTube influencers but ... cest la vie.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Saying they offer nothing of value is nonsense, I follow a number of people on YouTube and many of them put a lot of work into the videos they create.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Really depends on your personal taste, some of those people might make great videos, but they're really annoying themselves. Others though, I'd watch even if I found the content slightly boring, because they make it interesting.

Ah I edited my previous comment to curtail my complaint. But you got me. Yes, some are of value, and some are not. All depends on what you value too.

• Advertisement

You can spend as much time as you want polishing a turd, it's still going to be a turd. Putting a lot of work into doing something doesn't mean that it's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭quokula

The only ones who make money are the ones who get enough people watching, which means a lot of people don’t think it’s a turd.

Different things suit different tastes and most of the most popular content I wouldn’t be interested in, but the big YouTube channels tend to involve a lot of real work and effort to get where they are, in many ways it’s a more pure meritocracy compared to traditional media.

There are a few channels I follow that do suit my tastes and they are all excellent.

I honestly don't care how much work goes into something, if I don't like it, I don't like it. Saying 'well, they put a lot of effort into it' is what you say to schoolchildren. If these channels have lots of subscribers, bully for them, it's not going to change my mind that it's scutter. What's so wrong with saying I don't like something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Nobody is saying you can't dislike a channel. People are just making the point that theirs channels out their that make great content. Everyone likes different things, just like other forms of entertainment

I do think something like Digital Foundry is excellent at what it does. Definitely very useful and interesting content. They do a great job.

A lot are super polished 21st century advertising. Mr Who's the Boss FFS.

The there is stuff like Girlfriend review, Beat em ups ... are all out of road and the market is saturated. They are just annoying. I am embarrassed I can even remember their names.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Nobody beats Tim Rogers, the greatest of the video game YouTubers, although it’s fair to say ‘Lord of the Rings trilogy length’ video essays - full of strange, eccentric comedic bits and feature-length tangents - about Japanese video games that have never been translated into English is a niche market.

I know there's channels out there making great content, Digital Foundry is usually my first stop when considering buying a game. I just find most personality driven content on YouTube to be absolute bilge. Other people liking it doesn't make a difference to my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Evil West is... bland. I immediately hated it for the fact that you can't backtrack once you've gone over the sliver glowing "this way" chains. I mean, I got into the back of a train passenger cart during the first level, realised it was the way forward and wanted to go back to something I saw just as I was getting in it, and he wouldn't jump down the 2 ft. Nope, game says you've gone forward so on you go.

Then the combat is bland. It feels slow and not at all interesting. I only picked it up to try and tie me over until Forspoken but I'm just not enjoying it. Feels like its about 5 or 10 years late to the party. And as one review I read (afterwards) said, the quality mode is lovely but terrible FPS, and the performance mode is grand but has a grain and looks meh. Just realising now that they're the crowd behind Shadow Warrior, which I couldn't get into either. Trek to Yomi is also meh, so maybe they're really good at making meh (for me) games!

Will be using that 50% trade in Gamestop are offering me thinks!

This Irish guy has some excellent, long, video game appraisals. But the channel name is hard to find ..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Here's another excellent Irish YouTuber that really explores the playstation catalogue:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I stopped playing early Dec when the likes of Midnight Suns came out. Recently picked it up again and progressed a bit further, but going to stop. I think there's definitely a fun game in there. I quite like the linearity and the very minor need to explore, rather than unnecessary padding.

But a lot of the movement and combat just feels so clunky. The camera/lock-on makes many fights such a pain in the jacksy. Upgrading feels incredibly slow. And there's just little in the game to really hold an interest.

It's a shame. I liked it for the first while, but it kinda shows all its tricks very early and never really progresses past that.

In lull myself. Just can't find anything to tickle my fancy. Trying desperately to resist the urge to go back to COD.

The Kubris bug in High on Life has been fixed for anyone who was stuck on that. I can finally progress in the game. Its ok mediocre fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That's mad I was playing that mission last night and got the bug but reloaded a save and got through it fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭recyclops

Ah that's annoying was going to use it as my free xbox game purchase, may hold the points for this and calisto on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

• Registered Users Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, I'd recommend waiting for inclusion on one of the subscriptions. As Penn said, there's a good game under there, but it's just not done right.

Went back to Subnautica with the newest update. I don't think there's any other game I've played this many times so close to each other. Such a well made game and a joy to explore. The difference with HDR on/off is striking, HDR makes it so much more atmospheric, but also increases the terror I still feel in places, even though I know what's there. Going into the Blood Kelp Zone is genuinely creepy with HDR!

I also feel the latest update increased the number of everything. Far more resources available, but also feel like the enemies are a bit more aggressive. Excited to see what the next installment brings. Bigger and deeper I hope. And hopefully continues to concentrate on the single player experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,807 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The latest Subnautica update is fantastic. Devs created such a great blueprint for replayability.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Advertisement

On the topic of survival games, has anyone tried Stranded Deep?

Advertisement