Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Nice, would love to get solar panels however is on a long list of things we need to do with house!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I finally got my Christmas jumpers washed today, once they're packed away, I'm just waiting for my Poinsettia to die and that'll be the last of the Christmas stuff packed up to the attic until December. The Poinsettia is practically dead at this stage, there's not a single green leaf left on it and only three flowers, two of which are pretty withered looking. I don't know why I bother with them every year, although I do manage to keep them alive for Christmas. anyone got any tips?

I have hot water solar panels and I rarely have to use the gas to heat the water from around April - October. I'd love to get the PV ones too, but I don't think I have enough roof space left to make it worth my while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭DenMan

They love tomato food and keeping them out of direct sunlight are two big tips to help them thrive. Also away from draughts really helps them.

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-grow-poinsettias/

Thanks, I must try tomato feed next year, I put it on my peace lilies and it definitely helps them to flower every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Another windy day in North Dublin second line of washing out 😂 did the weekly shop earlier in Dunnes and simply better range has a new selection of crisps I picked up whiskey smoked bacon crinkle cut I can confirm they are delicious they had others they just caught my eye I was partial to a Sam Spudz Smokey Bacon crisp if anyone remembers them ?

Lots of washing drying folding here today maybe pop to the little one grandparents in awhile I think take away later dinner went totally out of my head for this evening while doing the shopping 😂🤦‍♀️

have a great day everyone

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just finished my first 6 day working week of 2023. Absolutely shattered now.

Hopefully no more 6 day working weeks until July.

That’s rough @Loughc treat yourself tonight.

I know what you mean Sarah about the washing, think it was 5 loads this morning! All out and in various stats of drying around the house. At least the wind is good for drying.

Hope all having a nice weekend.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just inhaled a Chinese takeaway. Living the life of luxury!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭Heroditas

@TRS30 sounds like you have a smart meter?

Busy last couple of days here. Finally got the rest of the Christmas bedclothes washed, ironed and packed away in the attic so that's the last of it put away for another few months.

Even braved the garden today and did some weeding, sweeping etc to make the front look vaguely respectable

Went and did the shopping today with an eye on the weather and stocking up on ingredients for "hearty" meals this week because it's going to be nice and cold. Plenty of stews and soups are called for over the next few days 💪

Great to see the daffodils starting to peep up above the surface over the last week. You can literally see them poke up higher with each passing day. 🤩

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Our daffs are blooming already. They were emerging before Christmas but that week of frost put a stop to their gallop.

Feckin overachievers 😂🤣🤣

Honestly lads this windy wet dreary January weather can just do one at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Stay positive @Loughc , January is half over and there is a bank holiday coming up 👍️

Ah don’t mind me I’m feeling sorry for myself. Long week in work and was up at 7am with the little man this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

And it's to get a lot colder from tonight by all accounts.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

We are all allowed feel sorry for ourselves every now and again, fair play lad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I hear ya. It's never-ending at this stage! And more frost and ice to look forward to next week. 🥶

I'm so glad we have a bank holiday to look forward to after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It's still up and I still love it ❤️

Weekend flew, not looking forward to the alarm going off tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

• Advertisement

@Heroditas I wish it was a slow meter, hate to think what next bill will be!!

@Caranica love the tree, definitely would keeping up.

@Loughc I hear you about the weather, damp, windy and cold every day. Maybe we’ll get some snow next week to beak it up!

Another busy weekend, can’t wait for a quiet one with nothing to do. The Sunday fear is alive and kicking here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Morning all,

@pigtail33 I got a little laugh from your post about the poinsettias...Mr. CL bought two this Christmas & when he brought them home, I said "oh wonderful, another two to add my list of dead poinsettias". Other plants I can keep alive, poinsettias take one look at me and wilt on the spot 😂

@Caranica that tree is beautiful!

Feeling a bit meh this morning and trying to shake it off. Long night with our nearly 3 year old who still doesn't sleep, was up for over two hours with her last night. She wasn't awake for all of it, but after the second time of getting out of bed to her, I was wide awake & it took forever (plus another three trips to her room) to get back to sleep 😴

Sorry to hear that CL, the broken sleep is a killer. I am use to it and bother me too much however OH, 3 kids later, still finds it hard. Last one (nearly 4) wakes every night and comes into our bed however thankfully usually goes back to sleep pretty quickly.

Nice bright start here, always say I will take the dry, cold weather over the mild and wet any day of the week.

I've actually started to feel sorry for the poinsettia that comes into my house. Although this year, I think I picked up a dud in the shop. When I took the plastic sleeve off it, half the leaves came off with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Afternoon everyone how is everyone doing?

Bitterly cold with blue skies got a nice walk earlier I’m the same I will take that cold over wet any day

It is nice to have the bank holiday to look forward to, I did a bit of wardrobe clear out yesterday of pieces that didn’t bring me joy anymore 😂😂 (Marie Kondo method) so I did a little online shop this morning of day to day basics that I need I even threw in a few candles with my shop

Beautiful tree @Caranica gorgeous to look at

I was the same @Heroditas when doing my food shop planned for the week with the weather in mind a few supplies for my Mam too. I am going to makes some winter warmers myself, I even bought bake at home rolls should it be a big freeze I don’t have to worry about bread

Roast chicken with all the trimmings this evening

Take care of yourselves Elves xx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Just had a lovely lunchtime walk, it's a lovely bright day and not actually that cold once you are walking. Much nicer than milder, damp weather! Back home to a bowl of leek and potato soup - honestly, the soup maker is one of the best kitchen appliances!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Hi Pigtail 33, I love poinsettia. They dont like draughts...so dont put them on a window. No extremes of heat, so not near a rad. Dont over or under water.

i give it a good drenching once a week with cold tea. I had one til Sept one year and it died when we were on holidays......

I keep mine in nice pot on Kitchen table.

13 hour working day done hopefully that’s the end of the madness for another month.

On the upside weather was lovely today. Nice and cold but no wind or rain.

Good to hear a lot of you keeping busy with clear outs and walks etc. Hope some of you get a goods night sleep soon 🤞

Just getting ready to de-frost the car here, it really does look like Christmas this morning 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Saw a hack on Twitter this morning. Hot water in a ziplock bag and rub it over the ice. Much safer than free flowing water and less work than the other options.

Thanks for all your lovely tree comments folks. It's up for another 10 days or so. Just too busy at weekends and I'm not facing it after work of an evening. So I get to enjoy it instead.

Hope everyone can stay warm and safe. My phone says it's -4 this morning ❄️ Obviously @Jude13 it's more than a little bit warmer where you are. Right now I'm very jealous 😂

Advertisement