Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

@Gumbo how can you buy "right" unless you have connections to buy at trade prices? Every car I have purchased albeit ICE has lost money, and I always bought used. If I could do this I absolutely would. Any guidance you can provide would be a big help to funding my first new car(MYLR)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭bikerboy_ie

I did read this but to clarify, i was referring to the two differing figures Tesla quote on the same page for the same configuration. At the top of the page is says 533km and below wheel choice section 565km. I know these aren’t real world ranges either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Take the risk and buy when you see the deal. Don’t spend weeks pondering.

Take covid for example. I bought my Leaf 24 for 7795 in2017, so when covid hit i sold it for €11k. Bought a 2016 i3 in London for €20,400. A year later sold that for €20k in a quick sale to buy a 2014 Model S Performance for €34k. Sold that a year later for €36k to buy a 2016 Model S Performance for €48. Sold that for €57,609 less than 1 year later to get a 2020 Model 3 Performance for €55,200.

Now I’m contemplating a MY.

I’ve always bought good. I’ve always bought cars here and there, clean them and sell them.

No connections. Bough from adverts, DoneDeal and through garages. You could say I was lucky with the price increases but I’ve been doing it for near 20 years now. Every car I sell I use the profit to buy bigger. I never take the profit and spend it!

Thats just the last 3 years.

I could give examples for every year if needed. I bought an MGZR for €1200 on adverts. Failed nct because of washer fluid not spraying. It had just got the head gasket done so was driving perfect. I got it home jacked up the engine and the washer pipe was crimped at the engine mount. Released it and washers working. NCT a week later. Sold it 3 months later for €2750.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

533km refers to WLTP official figure, if you alter the configuration then an estimated range is given for your benefit, so if you go for smaller wheels your range will go up to an estimated 565km as Tesla don’t have an official WLTP test for them.

if you click on the word “range” at the top of the screen it explains it

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Different wheel sizes.

I get 565 on the 19” and 533 on the 20”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

As anyone got the model Y? I was watching a few reviews last night and they spoke about the ride being very high and bumpy. I'm driving around rural back roads all the time so if the ride isn't great it will be a tough one.

Have you read the thread? Just curious?

You don’t have to read that far back. It’s asked a couple of times daily.

Ride is very good, especially the new ones with the new comfort suspension fitted since October.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

the ride is definitely hard for Irish back roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jjohnrockk

I'm amateur in Tesla world. Are you saying no 360 camera in MY.

I was about to cancel Volvo c40 and lose 1000 euro deposit.to go for Model Y long range. Both cost 55k now.

Lack of 360 camera and sensors will be a deal breaker.

Post edited by Jjohnrockk on

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Put a deposit on yesterday it need to persuade the better half now! Is it possible to head to Sandyford just to take a look at a Model Y and sit in it. Not a test drive as understand the need to book that in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,380 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Seriously folks, please read the thread. The old suspension was like the one in the Model 3. Fine for a sporty saloon like that but harsh for a family crossover like a Model Y

But this suspension has been completely replaced for the Model Y, for all models worldwide, with the "comfort suspension"

All our cars will get this, but the only car currently in the country with it is on UK plates in Sandyford. You can book a test drive for it. I'm going to drive it myself today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I went back a good few but it's all been about the new price for the last few pages and the search function is still wonky.

But I was hoping for someone that owns one and can give more hands on insight from having spent time in it.

Post edited by Grumpypants on

no, you misunderstood. Cameras are there. Software is in production for the cameras to tell the computer distances to objects and to mimic the beeps from sensors.

Tesla Vision.

Yes they had one in showroom and at least demo cars.

New comfort suspension fitted to all MY’s last October production onwards.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Does the typical WLTP -20% rule apply with the MY to get real world range?

430km WLTP really means more like 350km real world.

Try give them a call. In the past, you just rocked up and had a look at the car, sat in it and chat with the sales guys. Like in any other car dealers. But since COVID that has been a bit hit and miss with lots of "touchless" stuff going on, like when you bring your car in for a service, you leave your key in a box and pick the key for the loaner car out of the box, all based on pin codes and stuff.

Even today's test drive is supposed to be touchless and you had to submit your driving license online and "sign" the online contract for the test drive. Before COVID this was done on paper in Sandyford

Loads of posts already. 410km at 90km/h. 360km at 110 km/h is a rough idea based on real world reviews out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭E30M3

Not a huge issue but I found it a novelty that the final price is less than the quoted price, for RWD in Black or white the Quoted is €46,990 now and the final price on my order is € 46,521!

Very different process that looking up list prices on the VW, KIA or Hyundai website and then finding in the showroom that some 20'something with a cheap suit is trying to talk down to you and telling you with a straight face that that isn't the price as you have to add on 2 to 2.5 k for Delivery, RTI, Paint Protection and other Voodoo charges!!

• Advertisement

100%.

People Moan about Tesla and their hatred towards them, there’s always some agenda.

But it’s refreshing to see a car, here’s the price. Buy or don’t. Full stop.

Hyundai site. Car price. Brilliant.

Arrive at dealer. No, you must pay delivery related charges. €2150 extra. Fook Off!

Same here, my RWD in black is now showing €46,521. I double checked, that is before the €250 deposit is deducted, so only €46,269.78 due

So basically we got another €500 off overnight 😁

When you are test driving can you check if the Rear windows are double glazed. I see conflicting views on the web.

That is mad. €46,521 now!

It was deffo higher yesterday, was it?

yes, €46,990!

Maybe adjustment for VRT, VAT etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

It’ll be interesting to see how often Tesla get these cheaper cars into Ireland this year, which will be crucial for those of us wanting the 2nd hand values to correct.

tesla effectively only delivered cars to Ireland twice in 2022, once mid Feb for Feb/Mar delivery and once again at the very end of Aug for Aug/Sept.

Nope it always was the 46,521 since I placed my order yesterday. My original order has not been adjusted down yet from the 52.972 it has always shown.

So its main competitor is the VW ID.4

It is now €3k more expensive on the road in the cheapest possible version

And it has significantly less range, less performance, slower charging, less spec, less warranty and no supercharging network to use. Never mind the struggles with the software that is very far behind the Tesla user interface and OTA updates

Don't get me wrong, I like the ID.4, I like its looks, I like it's around, I want to see VW do well from the electrification revolution. But that's a tall order now.

The Ioniq 5 - even better looking than the ID.4 - in base trim and small battery used to be significantly cheaper than this, but that has mostly eroded now, its availability is poor and it suffers from the same less range, less performance, no supercharging and less spec compared to the Tesla

There are no other competitors with a substantial size family hatch / crossover in this price range, (sub €50k on the road) are there?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I wonder could the bigger effect be on ICEs and PHEVs? Whatever about the ID4 (etc), at least they have the low running costs of an electric. A 122bhp Tiguan manual diesel at €42500 min seems awfully expensive now. And as for the the €54250 PHEV..... Same with other brands - lowest spec Peugeot 3008 is €40600 + delivery so ~€41500. Go for a GT spec (closest to Model Y I'm guessing) and you're looking at ~€46000 for a petrol manual. An extra grand for a Model Y must be awfully tempting....

Yes agreed this will bump the percentage of BEV sold at the loss of all other cars. And I don't think people realise it, but this has also shaved a chunk off the value of any second hand car over a certain value, petrol, diesel, hybrid, PHEV or BEV

That said, plenty of people stubbornly don't want to know about BEVs and are still going ahead with buying brand new diesels, PHEV, what have you. They will pretty much ALL have a very painful depreciation experience.

• Advertisement

You’re correct my man.

I just checked the screenshot I sent yesterday and it is indeed 46,521

Advertisement