Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Stripped of every ill gotten penny they've banked and turfed onto benefits street would be enough for me.

But I wouldn't shed a tear either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

So why are you advocating it? You criticised my post which criticised people taking H&M website as gospel which means you advocate H&M website - you don’t get to do the reply you gave me and think it will pass without comment- you accused me of advocating here-say not facts- I never said that nor advocated it - so don’t put words in my mouth- engage with me if you wish but don’t twist my words- I know exactly what I said and what you said I said- is bullshit

The closest they’ll get to benefit St. is writing pithy saying with a black marker on bananas in a food shelter- then whisked away in their Range Rovers back to their Glock protected millionaires compound

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

The real Harry?

2010 news story I believe leg end- in fairness I agree with you on a lot of your posts but not this one- cleared by Hurlingham Polo Association (HPA)- as reported by horse and hound magazine- however, I'll credit you in that whether either are credible is another story but hey, not a daily mail article in sight - see, I can stand up for Harry one minute or at least not get instantly outraged and criticise him the next- unlike some here who think critiquing Harry and having a discussion is something not allowed on boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Should be added that the entire RF (including Harry) have form for hunting and for continuing to hunt even now.

It's more than a bit surprising that the British public, supposedly a nation of animal lovers, seem to be quite okay with this.

Hence I put the proviso of to what degree you believe the Polo club investigating themselves is a valid investigation or that Horse and Hound magazine isn't in cahoots with the whole industry - I've no interest in going down that alley either way- just pointing out to those who continue to badger myself and others on this thread, who are only interested in discussion, are quite capable of making our own little minds up without having to read a book by a spoilt playboy entitled millionaire or can't discern when a UK tabloid is trying to sway our view.

I've agreed with you on some points, and disagreed with others- that's a discussion forum and the way it should be.

But of course, they'll still badger me and others because trolls are trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

My own take is that the media and a large section of the public are so much in thrall to the monarchy that they daren't even question their passion for hunting. But it's been well documented and not even remotely a secret - we saw it in the movie The Queen for example as well as The Crown series.

It does leave me with raised eyebrows though. There barely seems to be a murmur about the RF having regular hunting weekends and killing animals and birds all the time.

Oh look- another Daily Mail article- well the Daily Mail quoting the Telegraph- that will keep some people flummoxed 😀

Absolutely no surprise in that Harry is focused on an ongoing attack on his own family- he's signed up for a 3-4 book deal- like WTF else can he write about that anyone would be remotely interested in buying? Spilling the beans on the RF, by a RF member, has never been done before so of course, there's going to be interest.

And with Meaghan also going down that road, we'll be wall to wall with "truth"- I can't wait!

I'm not anti-hunting in that if animals need culling or it's a sustainable business that puts a focus and money back into conservation and habitat and the animals hunted are treated humanely and killed instantly- but those boxes can be ticked all too easily and often, animal suffering continues anyway, which I don't like.

I believe horse and hound hunting could continue through scent trails as opposed to tearing a fox apart- but look, I don't know what rock their boat on such outings so maybe this isn't a good enough compromise.

I'm a meat eater (disclosing in the interest of debate and openness ) so I guess I can never be completely impartial on this argument - but I hate coursing, I hate unnecessary suffering of animals and I hate killing for the sake of killing- but even taking all of that into account, there's a place for hunting in my view - birds, game, vermin etc- but only if it's done in a wider conservation and habitat context and suffering is minimised- a tall order.

The RF, given their position and extensive knowledge in this area, could actually lead the way - but they're too in up to their necks and up their own backsides and possibly just too stupid to realise the power they have to change peoples view and behaviour in this area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Should rebrand it as Lilibet Arden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

Harry is a twit. Meghan is an arch manipulator , only one result

...Thanks for the reply- I appreciate it. Gone and forgotten

Willing to forgive. Pure messiah complex with this guy.

More of the same hero-and-the-victim-at-the-same-time narrative. There are "things" he left out but he magnanimously didn't include them. The message there is apologise to us or else I might change my mind and go and write about that stuff.

He's so desperate for a reaction that he has also said he wants to save his brothers kids as either Charlotte or Louis will inevitably end up suffering his same spare like fate unless everyone listens to the guy who knows what to change in the monarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

And THAT is why they are disliked, nothing to do with RF. They are both utterly unlikeable and desperate for attention, sorry I mean privacy. Desperate for privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,346 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

The multiple book deal + announcements such as “I could never tell everything as my family wouldn’t forgive me” go hand in hand. It’s a threat and his bargaining chip to gain control over an organisation that sees him as replaceable. It won’t work but he is too deluded or thick to realise that this will end badly.

He had 800 pages to choose from but managed to include his todger/cream/mummy anecdote in the ones that made the cut.

He included the part where William floored him and taunted him to fight/hit back. Harry chose not to. That seems to be exactly what his family is doing now.

One of the moments that nade me laugh was when himself and the lads shaved his hair “and as I gazed at the red curls on the ground I realised I had made a legendary mistake “ 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Can you provide a link to a quote from them where they say they want privacy because that is a fiction made up by the RF/tabloid press.

Here is what they said (to save you the bother from being unable to find it):

"The Duke and Duchess have never cited privacy as the reason for stepping back. This distorted narrative was intended to trap the couple into silence," the statement said, according to a report by the BBC.

"They are choosing to share their story, on their terms, and yet the tabloid media has created an entirely untrue narrative that permeates press coverage and public opinion."

Reuters has asked for a copy of the statement, which was also reported by other media outlets.

The statement highlighted that neither Harry nor Meghan had mentioned privacy when stepping back from royal duties in January 2020 and had expressed a desire to continue their public roles and duties.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/harry-meghan-defend-documentary-after-privacy-criticism-2022-12-10/

I think denying they wanted privacy is actually playing semantics with words IMHO.

Heres an extract from an article from Vogue 2020- they quote their website directly:

On their official website, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex outlined their agreed departure terms as working royals. “The Royal Family respect and understand the wish of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to live a more independent life as a family, by removing the supposed ‘public interest’ justification for media intrusion into their lives,” reads one bullet point.

So, by saying that they’re essentially looking to reduce their public interest, and hence media intrusion, Shirley it can be naturally implied that they’re looking for more…privacy?

It’s also ironic that they’re intensifying the level of negative media interest on a personal level towards the RF also through their tittle tattle stories- something they claim they’re against- they truely are a pair of disgusting hypocrites

If the book were filled with those kind of stories, instead of the personal sly digs at his family, not only would it have sold similar levels of books, it would have endeared him to the public a lot more and a lot less criticism would have been made of it.

I'd look at it as them deciding to no longer engaging in the royal rota and seeking more control over who they gave access to (those supportive) and control over what those they give access to would release (favorable coverage) as their wish for privacy while being in an intermittent public role. Pictures of their kids was given as an example if I remember correctly e.g. People Magazine getting rights but the likes of the Daily Mail getting sued if they printed the same pics. The tabloids took the piss of such wishes by showing unnamed pictures of a "publicity shy man" (clearly Harry) with black bands over his eyes.

I won’t get hung up on it either way. We are where we are now. I get they’re engaging with the public and as a result, with the press, “on their terms”, now; select interviewers, magazines and TV stations -it’s obvious they need to engage publicly if they’re to make money.

I think it’s more their continuous efforts to try and control the narrative about them out there, be it the press or social media- that’s painful to watch- communication is in the interpretation- if the public, the press or a combination of the two, interpreted their communications and actions back in 2020 as wanting more privacy, then that’s valid - H&M have to take some responsibility for peoples opinions about them as they are the ones supposedly “in control”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

I think it's only the people who already disliked him who are upset about the Royal Family digs. He probably doesn't have much time for them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Well, I remember very well their statement, which was on there website at the very beginning. It promised their engagement only with new, underdog outlets and journalists. And that's why they were criticised for their engagement with Oprah. While now they said that with outlets of their choosing. They changed their statement in the meantime to suit their doings.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,755 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Initially upon hearing the few snippets from the book making the rounds, I thought it must have been ghostwritten by that ChatGPT thing.

Then I remembered Charles peculiarly wishing to be Camilla’s tampon, and figured Harry may well be his son after all what with tales of being reminded of his mother while smearing skin lotion on his mickey 🤨

The book was definitely written to capture the American market in the same fashion as Fifty Shades of Grey - it’s not going to be nominated for a Pulitzer, it’s just going to make the former Royals bucketloads more cash.

• Advertisement

Advertisement