Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Dec 22 Assembly Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The bottom line in all this is that Brexit was and is a cancer on the plans to manage the different traditions and allegiances on the island.

But once it came into play, all sides have been using it to leverage their particular strategy and degree of political influence. That applies to the Brits and the Unionists but also to northern nationalist republicans and the Republic of Ireland/ EU.

The only sure way to reconcile these is for the UK to rejoin the EU, Customs Union and preferably the Euro as well. Then we could all go back to a more 'normal' life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

If the DUP came out and said word for word what Leo said they would have achieved far more than they have with their approach so far.

In a modern Irish Republic, I would say the vast majority of people would want fairness for the people of NI, and our politicians seem to be saying the exact same thing.

If the UK government agree something that we think is unfair, what can we do about it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Leo did not say he made mistakes.

The mistakes were made by others - presumably by Johnson and his cronies going for the hardest of Brexits.

This has obviously resulted in the current NI Protocol, that you dislike so much.

What exactly is NI deprived of due to the NI Protocol? Is not everything available in Dublin or Liverpool also available in Belfast?

The SPS controls predate the NIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

When GB had it's severe supermarket shortages last year, NI was basically unaffected just like ROI

"In a modern Irish Republic, I would say the vast majority of people would want fairness for the people of NI".............

But scratch the surface and you'll find that means fairness only on the basis of what nationalists think is proper:- tricolour, same national anthem, government in Dublin, Official Languages Act and constitution generally to apply as is on all Ireland basis etc etc. Try suggesting changes to any of above and there's a meltdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Where are these 'meltdowns'?

I have seen the poll that showed people don't want to change anthems or flag. Not seeing any meltdowns. Doesn't bother me BTW, happy to change both if neccesary.

Look what happened when there was a modest proposal Francie to commemorate the many Irishmen who served in the police force pre independence. Anytime, there's a suggestion that the sacred cow of the Irish language is treated in it's proper place even in the Republic, there's a storm of protest. And so on.

Not from you or I Francie, but you well know that such changes are unthinkable to many in the south who just assume that's how it'd be. Let them like it or lump it attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Flags in a united Ireland is a discussion that is totally unrelated to this thread and to my post, and dragging attention away from this discussion.

The discussion here is that the NI Assembly can’t be formed while the DUP refuse to participate.

My point was that the quote by Leo is exactly what the DUP should have been saying all along, and it would have been better than what they’ve been doing.

• Advertisement

There are people all over the island to whom 'change' is unthinkable.

Many here would not like to change flag or anthem, that is understandable. Would they have meltdowns if it had to happen, I doubt it.

A bit like Ireland's Call, many scream and shout about it, but has attendance or interest in Irish rugby suffered...not a bit.

Well you can read your post in various ways, as in just relating narrowly to the current impasse or in a wider context of fairness.

Yes you're quite right that the DUP are refusing to co-operate and using the NI protocol as an issue. That is their right though, it is a legitimate political tactic and I guess they are hoping to get to fresh assembly elections where they hope to galvanise the vote and recover their position. We can't really blame them for using the mechanics of the GFA/ BA to advance their strategy.

So maybe there should be more focus on revising the agreement and way the assembly works, so that this binary nationalist/ unionist veto is disabled. I think a lot of people would support that and like to see the middle ground parties benefit and bring sense to the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

From Francies post a couple of posts ago. Leo said "I’m sure we’ve all made mistakes". I have no idea how you interoperate that as him not saying he made mistakes?. Clearly though no one knows what mistakes he feels he made so we are all still guessing

dont know how you define meltdown, but the bloodyminded refusal to play only Irelands Call at rugby matches is a clear example of the inability of many to be fair

i completely agree that the DUP should have also admitted their mistakes. But if they had done it the same way as Leo we wouldnt be much further on as we'd have to guess what they were referring to also

I guess the people who would like to see 'the middle ground parties benefit' are the middle ground parties

Seems most people have no issue with it. Any 'meltdown' seemed to come from those who couldn't cope with GSTHQ not being played in tandem. The prize of playing for Ireland or supporting Ireland as a team was bigger for people though as can be seen from the amount who want to play or support.

It was a sensible and mature way to deal with the issue IMO. The minimum amount of people are unhappy.

Very true. I am learning through participation on this forum that most northern nationalist are much more realistic about the need for compromise than many in the south. I don’t blame southerners for that, they are detached as are those on the mainland.

here is a northern nationalist neighbour of mine, steeped in republicanism and the GAA. He’s travelled and lived away and I think he is becoming an ambassador for OWC just like eg Carl frampton, etc with opposite upbringing, looking for fairness and respect.

how do we get to a position that people like those above grow such empathy for the ‘other side’, but masses of ordinary folks (like most of us on here) struggle.

if people would just listen to paddy and talk like he talks (on both sides) the the DUP and sf would be in big trouble and the protocol would not be so intractable

https://twitter.com/mrvirtuesignal/status/1614549131388657664?s=21

How you square that with supporting the DUP is the conundrum.

One might think you are talking out of both sides of your mouth here.

You say that in the present tense. I am not a dup supporter and don’t trust them as far as if throw them. I have said repeatedly that if we head into an election in the current state then they will get my vote - And I still won’t be a ‘dup supporter’.

• Advertisement

If it walks like duck, quacks like a duck etc etc.

You vote for a party you support them...maybe be temporary but it’s support for them. Nothing is clearer.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You would be a supporter if you vote for them. You would be giving them your vote which is effectively endorsing their policies and stances. The DUP will consider each and every vote for them as act of support and use this to claim their mandate (this is the same for any political party).

If you really don't support them, then don't vote for them. So many people all around the world, fought and died for democracy yet many who now have democracy are too quick to piss their vote up against the wall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If you give them your vote, you are actively supporting them. trying to plead a distinction is meaningless in real terms. If you vote for a party you support its policies or principles or both. You're only fooling yourself, while enabling a force you apparently claim to disagree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

If you vote for them you are supporting them and their policies of troglodytic intransigent obstructionism.... you are deluded if you believe otherwise.

I support their current policy. If you guys interpret that as me being a supporter, we’ll that’s fine. I also support TUV current policy, does that make me a supporter also or is it just the one you vote for?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do you accept that the DUP entirely and solely caused the protocol to exist?

I think we know what Downcow means and he's likely quite right that many northern nationalists would be more flexible than their southern counterparts. And there's nothing really contradictory in their thinking - they're not a DUP supporter but might vote for them as a political strategy.

Just as I've never given FF a vote in elections here but might be persuaded next time in order to keep others out.

Why do you vote for somebody? Because you support their aims at a given time.

Just because you might be ashamed of that or embarrassed doesn’t change the fact it is ‘support’.

Jeffrey won’t be taking into account downcows reservations.

That is a bit silly. So tell us what you think would have happened had the dup not existed?

• Advertisement

Yeah. Can I say that what is most concerning for northern unionists about that little clip is that the host and the audience laugh at northern unionists. His quip about ‘what might they want’ and a patronising giggle. And then to say that ‘singing up the ra’ is ‘only a bit of fun’. It is incredible and paints a picture worse than I would ever have imagined.

our society has moved on in the north and at least most people have some sense of what is sectarian and avoid saying it in public.

we are a minority that many southerners think should join them to build a new Ireland.

Try to look at this through a different prism. If this was USA, and transfer that whole exchange and the points of laughter etc to a tv show focussing black peoples moving to their are and two white people being watched by a white audience in an exclusively white area of the States - I shouldn’t need to say anymore. The very idea that host could suggest that a song which had a kkk chant in it was just a bit of fun would be too incredible to comprehend

indeed if you wish transfer it to a bbc ni show with a Protestant interviewer, a Protestant guest and an exclusively Protestant audience in say North Down and the discussion was about how the community needs to be more welcoming to Catholics so as to remove their apprehension about moving into the area. And you can change the chant to the U U UVF

can you see that these attitudes are core to why the protocol is so concerning for northern unionists. Anything that looks like it is pushing us involuntarily towards being ruled by people with this attitudes will be resisted.

we have had decades of work around prejudice awareness and anti sectarianism up north. Maybe this is the work those who want a UI should be rolling out over the next decades among southerners in preparation.

maybe this could start by raising awareness of the pain and hurt that song causes, not just among direct victims of the terrorist organisation being adored. I see a senior member of the roi team has posted a selfie with the singers complimenting how they remember the past. If that happens up here there would be serious repercussions for the player

so maybe before you say too much about people voting dup, you might take the beam out of your own eye

(ps that is obviously not directed at the poster of the message I am replying to - the silence of others is more able)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement