Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Any evidence of this at all?

Nope didn't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Playback on RTE Radio 1 this morning is quite damning about the protests outside asylum seeker accommodation. Good balanced summary of the week.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Just wait another 10 years until the pension bomb really starts picking up speed, people will be kicking themselves for being against immigration of young fit workers to replace our 20 year birthrate decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

An incredibly flawed argument for unskilled immigration

• Registered Users Posts: 34,295 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ah that nugget.

Tell me how are people who are never going to work a day in their life going pay for our pensions?

Nobody is against people coming here to contribute and make better life for themselves and contribute to country.

Social Welfare is already the time bomb for so many

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ahh that old nugget the lazy immigrant who somehow is also responsible for taking everyone's jobs

Unskilled workers still pay taxes. Our worker to retiree ratio is projected to fall from 4:1 currently to 2:1 by 2040, we cannot affored to pay state pensions as they are currently set with that ratio and its too late to start having kids to fix the gap so without immigration you tell me how we fix the gap of workers vs retirees?

Honestly as usual I regret joining the thread filled with racist ignorant bigots, ill just put it back on ignore and let you all self masturbate yourselves into a frenzy of pathetic hatred for people who dont look like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Why are most uber multicultural nations raising their pension ages then? They have many of the types that you want to welcome in already, yet oddly it's done little to fix the problem. You're literally trying to guilt people based on a hope, a hope that your narrative becomes true. And with the way this country is going, pensions won't be topping the list of worries in the future.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭creeper1

There's automation and artificial intelligence that is going to be taking away a lot of jobs. Self driving buses and trucks are on the way. Automatic translation doing away with language skills being worthwhile attaining. Artificial intelligence that can write a lot of code.

Human beings are not going to be in much demand in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭creeper1

Anyway if they are needed they ought to be able to come in on regular visas like everyone else. Like I did. I went abroad having to submit criminal background check and authenticated documents.

International protection is supposed to be a different category.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Far left journalist batting for the government. Quelle surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Paint by numbers thinking... about as flawed and naive as it's possible to be on this issue.

Communities are FAR more than just their birthrate and age of their workforce. It's short term thinking and greed like this, that will turn Ireland into a carbon copy of every other nation that has been systematically ruined by mass uncontrolled immigration! I feel sorry for the pensioners who are forced to live in the hell-scape that many of you would willingly create apparently for their benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

How would you say Russia is faring with zero immigration? This should be a model society full of happy people - and yet we know huge swathes of the population are living in abject poverty and life expectancy is 71. Also predicted that their population will drop by 20m in the next 25 years and their living standards will progressively become even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

What are you talking about?

According to the Ministry of Internal Affairs, as of November 2021, there were 5.5 million migrants in Russia. Of these, 819,600 were in the country illegally.[10] In the first quarter of 2021, 1345 migrants were deported, more than in the same period last year. The number of deported migrants increased in Russia.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Russia does not have “zero immigration”. It has the 4th highest foreign born population according to the UN.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Yes, but most of those are from within the Russian sphere of influence and many with ethnic Russian backgrounds i.e. people from Georgia, Kazakhstan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Moldova, Ukraine, Belarus etc. It's a "multi-ethnic" society but not a multicultural one.

Mostly from within the former Soviet Union - they (the USSR) had a population of nearly 290m just over 30 years ago. Vast majority of these would be native Russian speakers and many would consider themselves ethnic Russians.

No different than West Indians in UK, Algerians in France, Congolese in Belgium. Former parts of empire.

Why do you consider Russia multi ethnic as opposed to say multi cultural Britain?

Have you been to Russia?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Yes i can really see DJ or Khaeled paying for my pension trololo. In the same way Chanice and Tyrone won't be paying it either.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

WrenBoy threadbanned

I would disagree on the West Indies, Algeria, Congo comparisons. Most immigrants to Russia would be native Russian speakers, the overwhelming majority white and many would have Russian surnames and ancestry. It's not at all an example of a "multi-cultural" society, much more a mono-cultural one.

On the whole issue of multiculturalism, I'm not sure I can see any examples of mono-cultural societies in the modern Western world. Iceland was that way for a very long time, but even they now have an immigrant population of 15%.

I don’t know why you would disagree. The language of many ex colonies is that of the home country, English, French etc.

Past countries of the Soviet Union have their own languages. Uzbek, Turkmen, Ukrainian etc.

One can have a multicultural country with people of the same race, Canada, French/British, Austo Hungary, etc.

This is literally one of the first paragraphs on Multiculturalism on Wikipedia

“ It can describe a mixed ethnic community area where multiple cultural traditions exist (such as New York City or London) or a single country within which they do (such as Switzerland, Belgium or Russia)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Actually unskilled workers pay little enough in taxes compared to other countries and are more likely to need state support to hap, housing, health, benefits etc.

What happens when the new immigrants get older? It sounds like you are describing a very very poor pyramid scheme

Russia is arguably much more "multi-ethnic" rather than multi-cultural. The multiple ethnicities and languages come from its internal republics and from the former Soviet republics, but it's a hugely Russia dominated federation with power centralised in the Kremlin. 97% of Russian students (across the entire federation and its republics, stretching to Vladivostok on the Pacific coast) are educated in the Russian language.

I would stand by my point that it is an example of a monocultural society that has successfully resisted 'outside' immigration and yet appears to be in an even worse state than most western countries - falling birth rates, unhealthy population, low standard of living, very poor life expectancy etc.

Face it. You misunderstand multiculturalism and reveal your prejudices by misunderstanding that countries with only white people can be multicultural.

It is nothing to be embarrassed about. I have misunderstood many things myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

I've taken part in a lot of the East Wall demos, Ballymun too, and a lot of others over the last while. Happy to share what I've learned.

This seems like a place for (fairly) reasonable discussion. Looking forward to hearing arguments from those who disagree with the protests. I welcome the opportunity.

Won't be responding to any name calling. Just arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

To get the ball rolling, the most useful thing I can tell people is the thing people really don't want to hear: the protests - the successful and well supported ones - are genuine grassroots phenomena.

If you want to tackle these protests you need to stomach that unpalatable (from your point of view) fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

How does it feel to have the left, that would have previously spoke up for such areas, now calling these protests racist and should be treated with zero tolerance. So the likes of Bacik would like to see these protests stopped by force if necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Liath Luachra

The classism from those disparaging the protests has been glaring, everything from employment status, level of education, criminality, how they dress and most telling of all, easily swayed by the "far right". Seems to be a consensus that no one in a working class community is capable of independent thought. no such comments made when similar protests were held in Fermoy.

Its a weird psychology that one could hold such high aspirations for migrants (even when nefarious behaviour such as destroying ID/concealing identity is shown) whilst considering their fellow citizens as feeble minded unemployed criminals.

Advertisement