Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any good kebabs in Cork

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Robert Nairac

I saw a comment that they deep fry the meat. Possible. I have not been in to any of these takeaways so I don't know if they have the rotating spit.

Istanbul is the only place in Cork that I have found that has a good kebab. Lamb doner is 11 + delivery costs on Deliveroo.

Spice Route used to fry the meat, which I actually prefer. But I haven't lived in Cork for years so maybe they've gone downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

The price of a kebab meal in Istanbul is shocking these days. Much better just to go to the Syrian restaurant and get a proper kebaby meal for an extra Euro or two.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The Four Liars menu seems to have expanded a lot since I was there; definitely looking forward to a visit! 😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

Coincidentally I was there on Sat evening with a group of 10+, everyone was happy with the food. Too bad the BYOB option isn't there anymore (we asked). Mind you I did sneak in a can of non-alcoholic beer for myself as they don't have that option.

• Advertisement

Istanbul don't seem to be taking delivery orders anymore for some reason. On Deliveroo it is always listed as being closed and if you try to order through their website it is collection only.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Usir

Lads I have searched Cork up and down for years looking for its best kebabs ..and eventually found it by pure luck.

Cork Sultan Delight on McCurtain Street.

The owner has his stall at The Ballincollig Farmers Market on Wednesdays. That's where I discovered the best kebab in IRELAND. I'm not exaggerating. Better than Zaytoon in Dublin.

His mixed special kebab WILL NOT BE BEAT. The spices, the wrap, the sauces, the selection of meats cooked to perfection. Not too messy not too dry.

All my mates are hooked on them too

Trust me lads ...you won't go wrong, I take my kebabs seriously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

They have a unit at The Marina Market, also.

Must say, I wasn't overly impressed with the falafel kebab I had there, unfortunately. Didn't care for the flavours or construction and it didn't taste very fresh.

But I guess it's very dependent on who puts it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Usir

I also tried the one in Marina Market and I couldn't agree more with your review. I only ate half my kebab and binned the rest. It is a different business tho.

The Marina Market Sultan is connected to Sultan Cafe Restaurant and Shisha Lounge on Penrose Quay, not my guy who does Ballincollig Farmers Market and has a premises on McCurtain Street.

Similar business names, drastically different quality of food.

• Advertisement

I didn't realise they were different outfits.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Does Cork Sultan Delight on McCurtain Street not do lamb doner?

Has anyone tried lamb doner in the following places?

1. Village Inn in Mayfield
    2. Iqraa's Food on Washington Street.
    3. Spice Ville in Mount Oval
    Post edited by Robert Nairac on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Iqraa might be worth a go. Have not tried the lamb but chicken kebab was edible

Why is it that fairly decent chicken donner seems to be widely available - by decent, I mean made up of layers of actual meat rather than a minced product - but lamb donner so rarely looks appetising?

I have seen proper layered lamb donner but not in Cork.

I tried the Village Inn on Saturday.

Lamb donner was shite. Meat was of poor quality. Drenched in sauces to cover how bad the quality of the meat was. Way too much sauce. Wrap was burned.

Ate half and threw the rest in the bin. Avoid.

No offence to Mayfield, as it's my home turf, but I'd be very surprised if it were the home of a decent kebab.

I live near Iqraa's now, so might try there and will report. Don't have much hope though. The kebab scene in Cork is shocking, they mostly seem like traps for drunken people.

Definitely want to try Amigo's though, on Washington Street. The reviews on Google Maps look good; they do Turkish and Mexican food, both of which I love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

I was cycling to Woodies in Blackpool yesterday & spotted a new (to me) takeaway called Lono's on Thomas Davis St. On the way back, I called in to try their kebab purely for this thread :) Now the guy behind the counter was very friendly & some of the other stuff on the menu looked good but afraid I'd have to give the kebab a thumbs down from me. 

That was Looney's chipper up until a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

If you're ever in Kilkenny you need to try out Anatolia. Best quality doner I've seen in Ireland. There's some minced product in it but also a lot of layers of real meat too. Approaching Istanbul street food YouTube video quality.

I haven't seen 100% layered doner kebab towers anywhere. Have you seen them anywhere?

Nosta in cork ciry do lamb doner with real meat sliced into tiny strips. Not sure how it's cooked though. i.e. does it come off a kebab tower or is it fried in a pan or whatever. I actually found it quite greasy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 fesilghanimdalsharari

Hi, interesting recipe....

Any reviews of kebabs at the following places?

Madina Kebabs, Blarney Street

Iqraas Food, 27 Washington Street

Chaos Pizza, Lower Glanmire Road

The Cottage, Little Island

Super Pizza, South Main Street

I haven't.

But, as regards Iqraa's, I find their food generally quite poor and overpriced. I haven't tried their kebabs for those reasons.

I did try the lamb doner kebab in Lavish, Washington Street, and it was... standard enough; poor quality lamb, but at least no bones (!), with the usual gloopy sauces and lettuce. Would probably try chicken the next time if I were to.

Super Pizza... I'm guessing, but I would say avoid.

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

I'd never get a kebab for delivery or takeaway though, it has to be eaten straight up off the grill! But even, Istanbul I find the meat can be lukewarm at times...

Advertisement