Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

14/14 in the lineout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Will be curious to see Coombes' stat line, he was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Ya I agree, he was jettisoned last year. Maybe that burnt him. An awful pity, we're not awash with tight head talent like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

Great to get the win.

You feel that will have taken alot out of the players. Have to go to Toulouse next week.

But another win and continues the momentum.

• Advertisement

Scannell is no world beater but his darts are on the money. We arguably have better hookers around the park but his scrummaging and lineout prowess are too important to us currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

Its kind of ironic, that in the game that Munster drop Conor Murray, it had to be the one game they really needed him. While you have to salute Munster for hanging in well and dogging out the win, they overall didn't handle being down to 14 men in the second half (losing 24-3). I'm OK with starting Casey, who was very good in the first half, but I'd prefer Murray over Patterson to be honest. I think patterson as been great for Munster this year, but its good to a have a stylisitically different 9 on the bench to the starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Honestly think that was a good win against a massive pack playing with 14 men.

I thought they should have kicked the penalty around 65 mins and kicked the one into the corner near 75mins. Didn’t really understand those decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Yeah, with a bonus point to play for I thought we should have backed ourselves at 75, even with 14 men

Made total sense to start Scannell today, especially with Salanoa starting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

That and i thought the first time it was worth it to make a 2 score game. The second time, they were just making a draw more likely than a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I think the JOD red card was correct, But Northampton should have been down a hooker before then for the hit on Joey.

The mitigation called by the ref was nonsense

Apart from that, Munster did well. got the win.

If we had equal numbers on the pitcch, we would almost certainly have gotten the TBP

Coombes was outstanding. For the neutrals. This is why I keep calling for him to be a starter for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I don't think he makes it past POM at 6. The latter is so important to the lineout and also as an out wide carrier. He's developed his game incredibly well in the late stages of his career. He's vital to how we play.

Doris and VDF are better options at 7&8. Coombes could be a decent option from the bench, but right now there are better players, or players vital to the game plan, in the positions he also covers.

I think he should start at 8 or bench as cover for 8, or he can start at 5 or 6

Doris is currently the nailed down starter at 8, but Coombes should be a country mile ahead of Conan, Baird, Ros Moloney etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I wouldn't move Doris from 8. I think he's rivalling Savea and Aldritt as the best in that position worldwide.

Bench as backrow cover sure, I can see that. He covers blindside and 8 to a high level. But we have at least 4 better second rows. Coombes can cover there in an injury pinch at provincial level, but we're in huge trouble if we ever have to do that at the test stage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Provisional stats have Coombes down for 48m off 15 carries, 20 tackles, 2 turnovers, 1 assist and 2 tries.

He’s been absolutely outstanding the last few weeks.

In the past I think his fitness caught him and his ability to give an 80 mins performance. That and he's not as athletic as those you've mentioned. His performances over the past 6 weeks has put that to bed. I would have him on the bench ahead of Conan now. Not sure Andy Farrell will though. Bringing on a fresh Coombes with 20 mins to go in 6N games could be a great asset. He could pinch big holes in tiring defences and is lethal from inside 5m.

He has been this good for 2 seasons now. It's just increasingly impossible to ignore

Rewatched a good chunk of the game just now.

More to follow, but you can see tiny little things emerging that will all build toward a very effective attacking system.

Like Crowley here, takes the ball with two men to his left, Frisch running an arc behind:

Looks in the direction of Kilcoyne and Frisch the whole time:

Before shuffling it to Beirne at the last moment:

A single player makes the tackle, with his two closest defenders out of position thanks to the other moving parts. Beirne could offload from the deck under no pressure and keep the attack moving quickly:

Contrast this dynamism with Saints' moves in the first half, where it almost always went from 9 to the first carrier in a pod, who just took it into contact.

Munster could stay narrow, men in position to compete and slow down ball.

Next phase Saints go down the short side and get turned over.

• Advertisement

Munster closed out the first half with superior kicking / exits to Saints, making sure most of their possessions started deep in their 22. Finally a poor-ish clearance provided territory, and after a line-out maul, penalty, tap-n-go, Coombes bagged his second.

Saints, meanwhile didn't kick as well, and were very predictable in attack (see above). 24-0 at half time, everything looked great.

But in the second half Saints played off 10 a lot more, and were much less predictable. This was a big part of their comeback. But I can't help but feel that a single "sliding-doors" moment ultimately determined the rest of the game. Salanoa came on for the second half, obviously waiting to see how his shoulder would hold up in the first scrum. Sadly, it didn't, and the resulting penalty (against Munster put-in) eventually led to Saints' first score and the start of their resurgence.

If Ryan instead starts for the second half, we at the very least clear the ball from that scrum and keep them scoreless for another while. And who knows what would follow after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

We drop to 6th after Stormers tbp win against London Irish. Sharks and Saracens currently 2nd and 3rd on 14 points each. Still 1 round to play. A lbp away to Toulouse would be decent. Not getting a tbp yesterday might be costly of it costs us a better ranking.

Will be an absolutely chaotic final round. Fixtures (featuring the above):

Ulster v Sale (Should be an Ulster win, but you just never know...)

Stormers v Clermont (Stormers looked far from impressive against 13-man Irish today. If Clermont send a good team they could win this. Could also be the worst case scenario where Clermont win with a TBP, but Stormers also get a BP or two)

Leicester v Ospreys (Ospreys are the real dark horses this year, so this one could be close. I can see both sides getting points)

La Rochelle v Saints (Very likely home win).

Montpellier v London Irish (Very likely home win)

Munster could wind up fighting upwards from 8th spot, i.e., requiring 1 point to catch Clermont, or 1 (or 2) to catch Montpellier and/or Stormers and/or Ospreys.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,287 ✭✭✭✭phog

Wasn't really sure how I felt at the final whistle, initial thoughts were we left a BP behind us and very lucky to win it but while thinking about it later I was very happy with how we managed our defence against the 15. Joey should have put that ball into Row Z and let our defence settle again but that try gave Saints belief.

No cribs with Jack 's RC, even with the ball carrier dipping from being tackled by Crowley but it appears (haven't seen it on TV yet) the ref allowed mitigating factors to be considered when reviewing Haywood's late hit. My take is if it's was illegal to begin with and then you make head contact as a result of the late hit why look for mitigating factors. It will be interesting to see if he's cited or banned.

I was surprised but happy to see how Rowntree managed the use of the squad and the bench

The game started without Zebo, Earls or Murray, lost JOD to a RC & then we subbed key players like Joey, Kleyn, POM & Killer while chasing the win.

I think Niall Scannell had a great game as had Coombes, Haley & Daly.

I thought the offside pen was harsh on Daly for his intercept as ref had ignored worse but he put in some hit later, saved a try.

Barring Sale getting a BP win next weekend v Ulster we're through but we don't want to end up in 8th place either.

A home game in the Last 16 is probably out of reach.

Post edited by phog on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

clermont lost at home to Leciester, they are playing terrible rugby, making some amateur mistakes and they have problems in the coaching setup.

Clermont getting something away to the stormers would be a massive surprise to say the least.

Larogchelle are playing away against quins

At least we play the last game in our pool so will know the lay of the land. That being said there's a big difference in know what needs to be done and what can be done. Either way a win will be targeted but Toulouse away will be very tough match. A home round 16 tie wasn't on the cards but better to be 5th than 6th/7th say.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,287 ✭✭✭✭phog

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere but I'm sticking it in here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Munster not progressing requires no points from Toulouse game AND Sale to win in Belfast (unlikely), AND Montpellier to beat LI at home (definite) AND Clermont to win away to Stormers (can't see it).

Chances of all four of these happening is as close to zero as you can get.

A home tie needs a win in Toulouse and probably Stormers to lose at home to Clermont.

Yeah hopefully there won't be a repeat of the Sale away result. Montpellier should win easily alright. Even with a lbp think we're looking at finishing 7th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭snotboogie

He absolutely smoked an 11 and a 15 over 60 metres there. That’s some going for an 8 at AIL level. For all the talk of the athletic qualities of players coming through like Quinn, O’Connell and his older brother, Sean looks to be the best athlete of the lot. Not sure being stuck behind Gleason at UCC for another year is the best place for him, especially if he is left out of the academy for 2023/24

Advertisement