Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Might as well not defend the maul and let them score, have to make the conversion and stay at 15 players.

Despite the scoreline this has been a relatively entertaining game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Jesus it'll be hard to keep a lid on the hype now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

On form, he's the second best out-half in the country at the moment. Hope he gets the shot he deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Technically no Gloucester player scored against Leinster over the two legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

A good performance and win today, roll on next week and hopefully another win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Great result, lots to work on too which isn't the worst outcome from the game. We'll really need Jenkins fit for the latter rounds, he's irreplaceable in our mail defence

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

While Jenkins is better I feel that McCarthy can fill in for him if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leinster played quite well, but there's still better to come, I think. Our set piece without Jenkins isn't as strong, but when he's present it's a huge strength.

Our rolling maul, which is already quite good, becomes even better. Our maul defence gets so much better when he's there and I don't think we concede those penalties trys.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Must say, Gloucester fans are excellent. Proper rugby town and really good craic. Getting mullered all day but still cheered and got behind their team. Appreciative of the rugby on show though too, no whining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 sean245

What sort of team will leinster put out against racing next weekend do we reckon? Full strength or more of a mix?

The squad has to be a strong as possible. I think Leinster need to finish top of their pool to ensure a home QF and a potential home SF. With the final in Dublin this year it's could be a clean home run all through the knockouts.

Exeter have also attained maximum points from both games so far. If they get a bonus point win this evening they'll also be on 15 points. Leinster have a much better score difference, but it won't mean much if Exeter finish on 20 and Leinster 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

McBryde should be canned! This is a recurring problem with the scrum. Either the lads are shyte and can't scrum, or it's him.

How does Porter go from an international class tight head to being a liability on the loosehead side. Utterly mind-boggling how a front row of 3 international players, crap their jocks.

Aside from that it was a good outing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Barring an Exeter miracle tonight, a win of any hue next week will see us top the pool.

3 new euro caps! Congratulations Deeny, Milne and the "sparkplug" Turner. Great experience for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I think it’s actually harder technically to scrummage on the loosehead side. Harder physically on the tighthead.

I’d say porter and sheehan just arent that good scrummaging right now. Id also say thats rarely important.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Ridiculous performance from Osborne. He can do it all really.

It doesn't bode well for Leinster, or Ireland.

I think how good a front row forward is in the loose is WAY more important than the scrum. Both carrying and at the breakdown. Porter and Sheehan are two of the best at the world at those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It doesn’t bode well that Milne’s first two interactions in the game both lead to scrum penalties.

I’d have to watch it back but it seemed like the ref was almost going tit for tat with penalties. It’s hard to say Porter struggled as the ref seemed to have no idea what was going on.

• Advertisement

Exeter's loss against Bulls makes things very straightforward for Leinster. A non try bonus win against Racing will be enough to finish top of Pool A.

Leinster are on 15 points, Sharks are on 14 points and Saracens can only get to 14 points at most even with a BP win tomorrow.

Saracens have only played 2, they're about to play Lyon in 10 mins. They can get to 19 surely.

Milne reminds me a bit of Josh Wycherly at Munster. Always love what they do in the loose but hard to deny that they have weakness in the scrum.

However, its not normal for props to be at their power and scrummaging peak at 23. I think a few more seasons of play, and a few more offseasons to get stronger/work on technical stuff… and he will be very handy.

They can only get to 14 with a BP win. Another BP win next week would bring them to 19. But Leinster have a 112 points difference advantage over Saracens. They're not going to make up that difference over the next two fixtures.

One of the commentators mentioned that Lowe was back in New Zealand due to personal reasons. Wish him the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Given how optional Lyon's defense is tonight, I wouldn't be overly surprised.

(I'm joking, but Lyon really are getting a hammering)

Thought Ryan had another super game. He's focused a lot on adding the dirty stuff to his skill set. He's a massive nuisance at the ruck and a pretty physical presence in the fight exchanges.

But today he carried well, hit the line at speed, offloaded and was used as a link option when passing. I think this is the best he has ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Nonsense. In all regards. McBrydes a good scrum coach. there isnt really any problem with the scrum

Changing sides and being able to play both at a high level is a very difficult thing. Its for good reason feck all players have played at the very top level on both sides of the scrum in the era with 23 man squads and a replacement on the bench for your position. and saying they "crap their locks" is bullshit

The Leinster maul conceded two penalty tries. He has to be a leader in that area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Advertisement