Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

OneBigSwitch. Its not much use telling people about it now, as it closed some weeks ago - was the best on the market by a significant margin at the time (Bord Gais standard rates -33%). Was able to roll over my nearly expired previous deal which was something like 32% gas 41% electricity or v/v

They have done offers with them multiple times so I would expect a new offer at some point. The current discounts offered are so incredibly poor that I could see those getting better well before unit rates drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

As detailed by L1011 unfortunately the offer amount s now closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Does anyone know when/how we will be credited the electricity PSO levy? I believe the amount due to be credited is €89.10 incl VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭zell12

No date given. The CRU will announce it at some point. It will be a bi-monthly credit to your bill from October 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Just go my gas bill for this last 2 month period. Currently on fixed rate with an activated smart meter with Electric Ireland. Tried bonkers to see if I could save any money. Looks like other than a 50 quid a year saving with the existing Electric Ireland bonkers deal all other deals on the market are actually between 50 and 400 a year more expensive than my current plan. Don't think that takes into account the 50 euro that EI are giving all customers themselves this month.

These smart meters are actually ridiculous contraptions. Same gas being burned, same source of the electricity as my neighbour but just far more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

The smart meter is your electricity meter https://www.electricireland.ie/smart-meters

I know but you can't avail of decent dual fuel deals if you have one thats activated nevermind the peak pricing of electricity on all smart meter tariffs which makes switching more costly. Smart meter stopped me signing up to the OBS offer last year.

Ok. I have a smart meter too but I'm on a 24 hour rate for electricity, I assume it's activated as i get a breakdown of usage etc. on the Electric Ireland site.

Yes, you ticked the box to get insights on your usage. They never explain the implication of doing this on your ability switch to other non smart meter deals when you do this or tell you that this is considered activating it.

Bord Gais refused to let me join because of this.

Thanks, good to know. I renewed with them last month and am still on a 24 hour plan but I'll keep that in mind if I'm looking to move again at the end of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

Is it worth going into a contract at this stage? I heard the prices on NT are coming down again. So if you're locked into a contract and the price reduces you'll still have to pay the agreed price?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

With a very limited number of exceptions, when you’re in an energy contract unit price is not fixed, the price can go up as well as down over the fixed term. Unlike mobile phone or broadband contracts. Your percentage discount off their standard rate will be fixed, but the offers at the moment are relatively poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Del007

Is anyone else having problems trying to log into Electric Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

Yeah I was worried the unit price was fixed but thanks for clearing it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Same as yourself, I ran it through Bonkers and only given a few options to save money.

Do you think BG will offer the same 25% off offer for this coming year? Waiting on them to call now so I can ask for it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Happy that i took 39% discount plan five months back instead of once off cashback…the savings are phenomenal with how high the rates have gone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

yeah. its a bit of a scam. Most of the offers are at a discount to the full rates. But sensible people never pay the full rates as they switch.

Discount on full rate means that Gas/Electricity providers can just change the full rate and your discount price goes up, but still as a % discount on the full rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

i had a look the other day on bonkers. very little choice at the moment.

Yeah heard Charlie Weston on with Matt one night saying the electricity companies don't want switchers at present, so aren't offering any deals.

Hopefully BG will offer existing 25% customers the same discount when they renew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭magicray

Just renewed with BG last week, the best we could get with them was 15%. It was the best deal I could find to be honest but its still pretty crap

They did confirm though that if prices go down they will apply it so suppose thats something, I wasn't prepared to stay out of a contract as I thought 15% was better than nothing , we have an EV so are getting a good discounted rate at night

But the bonkers calc showed that I'd be better off by whatever, something like €90 per year.

But that was with me getting the 25% discount, if its lowered to 15% then the difference to change would be wider, might make you consider it more?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Those crap discounts and the end of the electricity credits will really hurt our pockets. I have 40% with energia till May atleast.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭robnet77

I'm now out of my 1 year contract with EI, I went to Bonkers and apparently I can save 126€ (dual fuel plan) if I switch to Energia, which has higher prices but offers 300€ cashback for new customers (I guess it's 150 for electricity and the same for gas).

However, it says they give you a fixed rate, which I guess means they won't pass to you any likely reductions which we might see in a few months.

EI won't give me more than 10% discount, I have spoken to two agents, so far I was on a 26% discount rate. The 10% discount is only 126 more expensive than the best option (Energia, as per above), so I'd rather stay out of contract, pay the revised rate and wait for better offers or for prices to go down in summer.

Also, I am considering buying an EV vehicle, so I might need to change meter to get a night rate, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

I doubt they can raise the base unit rate and pass it on without passing on reductions

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Well, I am still awaiting a call back, I am out of contract now since Jan 12th and Ive rang twice and have been told I will need to speak with someone from retentions. I honestly can't see anything like 25% being offered, they know the only viable offer at the minute is that Flogas offering. I reckon 10% will be the best they will offer

In that case, let's hope prices start dropping in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭con747

Bord Gais retention number is 015143214 if any use to you.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Villa05

Gate crashing thread

Got a call from Bord gais retentions with an offer of 18% discount on standard rate to renew. Was on a much higher discount but appears to be the best that's out there

Advertisement