Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

You're consistently talking this nonsense about McBryde and the Leinster scrum. Porter wasn't even the one getting in difficulty today, it was primarily Mike Ala'alatoa to Val Rapava Ruskin. We also won multiple scrum penalties today, and multiple times had launch plays off our scrum that saw line breaks and 30m yardage gains.

We're obviously missing the best tight head in the world over the past two seasons, and our primary tight head locks, so it shouldn't be shocking that the scrum struggles slightly (especially against a good scrum like Gloucester).

Just calm down a bit.

Really good performance despite a handful of things that didn't seem to work.

Thought all of James Ryan, Ryan Baird, Caelan Doris, Jamison Gibson Park, Ross Byrne & Jamie Osborne were excellent. The accuracy and precision of some of Leinster's handling, passing and line breaks especially in the first half was just great to see. We had big 20m+ linebreaks today from 4 tight five forwards (Ala'alatoa, Sheehan, Ryan & Kelleher), and also scored tries both times we were reduced to 14 men.

It frustrated me why we kept competing on their throws 5m from our own line, which led to PTs both times. When Leinster stayed down, we actually contained their maul relatively easily.

Very strong performance considering all of Furlong, Jenkins, McGrath, Sexton, Henshaw & Lowe would be expected to come into that 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Nick Mc Carthy was fairly good. Harry played well also.

Why calm down? What purpose does that serve?

Honestly, I really think sides can target the scrum. Big Mike didn't scrum well today. I thought Healy was an improvement.

Can't believe 12 trees is still playing? Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

In general, I think Leinsters maul defence has proved quite a bit this season. Ryan has made strides in that facet of his game. But in the absence of Jenkins I think we'll always struggle to stop sides whose strong points are in the maul, one of whom is actually Gloucester.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Because what you have been saying about the scrum doesnt stand up to whats actually happening. Leinsters scrum isnt an issue. Leinsters scrum isnt going to be targeted as a major point of weakness

Calm down from the perspective of I've seen you call for the head of Leinster's forward coach on at least 3 occasions now. It lacks any semblance of rational reasoning.

Do you think 21st props who will scrummage all day, but also have the legs to play at Leinster's pace and intensity and the handling to be as involved in Leinster's phase play as we ask our front rowers to be are just growing on trees?

Do you accept that scrum issues are a combination of a variety of factors, and that unquestionably the loss of one of Jenkins/McCarthy from the 5 shirt today had a significant negative impact on our scrum?

I completely agree with @ulsteru20s 's points above; I'd rather have our front row forwards who can do all the things we ask of them, than just have big lumps who love to scrummage but can't do anything else.

Last week's victory away to Ospreys looks even better now. They just beat the Top 14 champions earlier this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Twice in a row ahead of one of those he put himself up at the line out and was miles off getting near it. All he succeeded in doing was taking himself out of the game and making it easier on Gloucester to form the maul and have a go at us. There are still parts of his decision making that needs work IMO.

Tough crowd

• Advertisement

In my opinion, our scrum is a weakness and has been for a while. In saying that, it's common amongst the provinces. Ulster scrummaged very well today!

Rewatching the match and I reckon we looked more stable with Kelleher. Healy did very well. Jenkins was missed, I agree.

Our forwards are incredible. The athleticism is 2nd to none. All of them are savage. I don't disagree. I would hope that we do get the scrum going better. McBryde doesn't seem to be getting as much from the scrum? The bigger sides will target the scrum. They will feel confident and it also slows the match down. Leinster want a high speed, quick ruck mobile game.

2nd viewing really shows how good Keenan is! This lad is class! He took Thorley to school on that try. His 50th cap too. He's pushing my opinion of him up towards world class.

So we qualified, what strength do we go with next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Taken to the cleaners in the scrum once again by an average side.

Yet still people refuse to acknowledge that we have a serious problem in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I think the thing that people are missing/not weighing heavily enough is that Irish teams and Leinster are making choices in academy selection and retention, and scrummaging is not high on the list of attributes. Not for front row or lockd. Of course, they will take someone like Furlong or McCarthy who has pretty much every tool. But, I’m sure there were guys who could have come into the academy who projected to be better scrummagers than Milne or Deeny, for example. But, what’s the point of that. As long, as by the time they are playing big roles in big games that they get to just basic competence, they will be fine.

Scrum dominance rarely wins games, and the kind of scrum dominance that does rarely win games (like the 2019 world cup) is unattainable in the profile of our player pool. If we (ireland) try to build teams so we don’t get beat on the rare occasion a ref allows a scrum to decide a game…. Then we will lose many more games where the breakdown, the lineout and work in the loose decides games.

So, i get the worry that there is this great team with an achilles heel. But, firstly its an achilles heel that very rarely loses a game. And secondly, you dont build a great team like this in an irish system without accepting some kind of weakness in the pursuit of being as good as possible at the important things.

Thirdly, Jenkins will help a ton when he comes back .

On Milne, he missed a season through injury so, he's probably not where he should be in terms of his development.

He's definitely in the rotation now with Ed Byrne out and the international lads off. We'll see how he progresses. He could develop into a good player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

There is a pretty clear blue print on how you beat Leinster emerging over the last few games.

Go after the scrum

Target the lineout to remove that platform for attack

Make a mess of the ruck

It's more a question if a team can do these things to Leinster or not.

Jenkins and furlong could help point one

You'd imagine baird selection ahead of Conan is to address point 2

Referee interpretation and our own accuracy can address point three. Hopefully being home for the remainder of the tournament (assuming a good result next week) helps with some of those breakdown calls. Typically home team gets the calls (as Munster and ospreys both did)

Reason to be optimistic, reasons to be cautious

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

We weren’t and they aren’t. So maybe that’s why people don’t choose to join you in your little pity parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Talking to a lot of the Gloucester fans they were amazed at the pace we played at. Said it’s like a completely different game to the premiership. Felt that they couldn’t compete with it at all. That I guess is the trade off from having a Mike Ross type player, trotting around the pitch and locking out the scrum.

I don’t see how people think we got completely mullered in the scrum either. Teams that are getting completely done in at scrum time. Don’t choose scrums off free kicks and then score off them.

The town isn’t much to write home about. Typical post industrial town in the UK I would guess. The people and the Gloucester fans are absolutely lovely though. Some of the nicest fans I’ve come across anywhere. Real proper rugby town.

Isn’t going after the scrum, line out and ruck what you need to do against every team really? Ospreys did that to us better than anyone this season and we still won that one with a near second string side.

Our scrum is a bit of a worry at the moment, but I also think it’s being blown out of proportion by some. The ref seemed to be trying to balance things up a bit at times yesterday. They clearly wheeled a scrum early on and it was reset. We clearly wheeled a scrum a little later and were penalised for it. They were also up to a lot of messing at the scrum like retreating from the engage which the ref let go.

We aren’t a great scrummaging side at all and it costs us a couple of penalties a game. But we also routinely win penalties at scrum time too so it isn’t the end of the world by any means. We also get go forward off the scrum a good bit too. It could be better, but it could be worse.

Its also worth noting the personnel involved. I think Kelleher is better there than Sheehan for example. So if we’re coming up against a powerful scrummaging side maybe we start him, which we haven’t had the choice to do until now. Our locks are a big factor too. Ideally we’ll have 2 of Ryan, Jenkins and McCarthy starting, which would give us a lot more power behind the front row. Throw in Furlong then as well and suddenly things aren’t looking that bad.

I agree our scrum has been a bit of an issue, but it hasn’t been as big as some would have us believe. And with a few players in the tight 5 hopefully returning soon we have the means to address it. We also have the wider game to be able to cope with a few penalties at scrum time and still get the wins so that’s pretty important too.

Someone on LF reviewed the scrums in the game. Gloucester won 4 pens from the scrum and we won 3. They won 2 free kicks, we won 2 free kicks. Milne gave away 2 penalties when he was on. He’s our 4th choice LH so that’s no big deal.

The other point in the post though was that we focused on getting the ball out and attacking off our scrums, making serious yardage in the process. They looked to keep the ball in the scrum and looked for the penalties.

Ultimately Porter gave away 1 pen and Big Mike another. Milne, as I said, gave up the other 2. But overall the scrum was a weapon for us in terms of using it as a platform to attack off. It wasn’t the issue people are making out at all.

https://www.leinsterfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=819455#p819455

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭letsbefair

I think seeming our record is 15 out of 15 we obviously have a real problem with our scrum. We have the Irish front row and ranked no 1 in the world. So which of our guys would you drop ? I’m finding it hard to understand so much negativity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It's worth noting we didn't have a real tight head lock on the field.

We also had our second choice tight head.

Our second choice loosehead was our sub tighthead and our 4th choice loosehead was our sub loosehead.

It's worth noting as well that we prefer footballers to scrummagers in our front row. We will never have an elite scrum because of that but its never humiliated especially when our first choice is available.

It's worth noting that we are very reliant on Big Mike as second choice tighthead and his contract is rumoured to be up this season. He needs to be extended or replaced as a matter of urgency.

Beginning to like Baird at blindside! He seems to be everywhere. His athleticism really shows. He is adding serious power and pace to the fringes. This could be a master stroke. Factor in that he could be shifted to lock later on in the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Great performance yesterday, proud of the boys in blue!

The pace we play at is numbing. Its circa the kiwis 2015. Defensive lines are stretched and under constant stress. Kudos to the conditioning of the players.

The trick line out plays got us meters. We made inroads and got traction. Gibson Park is playing like a maestro. Some are questioning his form recently, I don't see any fall off from him.

I hope Jenkins is ready to come back. Racing next week and then 2 Welch regions. Luke coming back will be a boost too. In fairness, Nick NcCarthy did really well yesterday. Very impressive display.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

How good was that slap pass from RB for the Keenan try

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I’d say lineout and breakdown primarily, with breakdown especially. If you get a ref that will allow you to mess up the breakdown, and get to the lineout… i think leinster are beatable. Those are big ifs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

It was beautiful.

I'm no rugby knowledge guru but I think he's the second best oh in Ireland. Might not suit irelands style, but you know what you get.

Cracking defender as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

What is special about that? Every team in rugby targets set pieces and rucks to win ball and create attaching opportunities.

Imagine any team preparing for a match where the coach says "right lads, don't worry about the scrum today.... and forget about line outs too... and sure don't bother yourselves with rucks either".

• Advertisement

We have done well without the lads who are injured. I was nervous when Luke went down but, McCarthy did everything he needed yesterday. It's amazing that Rhys Ruddock isn't in these match squads. It shows the level required.

While Osborne was brilliant, I thought Keenan was great. This lad just looks casual and has time with the ball. Great option as a playmaker too. How about that try!

Advertisement