Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

There definitely seems to be a greater intensity to the language directed at Ballymun than there was even at East Wall.

Maybe it's people's attitude towards Ballymun (the public order unit showed up and lined up in front of us)

Or maybe they could dismiss East Wall as a once off. Ballymun looked more like a trend and got the wind up them.

I think you're seeing real vitriol in the last few days because these protests are destroying the "Ireland welcomes immigrants" narrative. Which is very embarrassing for a Europe facing "good boy" government and media class. How is this going to go down at the next junket.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

What successful and well supported protests were there? They’re not genuine grassroots phenomena in any case, there were plenty of bad actors parachuting into these areas to try and stir up shìte. Vast majority of local residents paid them no heed whatsoever.

I don’t want to tackle any protests, that’s exactly what they want. They’ve been completely ignored by most people and the Government doesn’t care to want to have anything to do with them either. Few Gardaí are all that’s necessary to keep the peace.

All any so-called ‘grassroots’ protests have succeeded in doing is perpetuating the myth in tandem with mainstream media that residents living in socioeconomically deprived areas are uneducatable, work-shy, illiterate criminals and welfare spongers, incapable of functioning in civilised society, let alone contributing anything of any value to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I think you're seeing real vitriol in the last few days because these protests are destroying the "Ireland welcomes immigrants" narrative. Which is very embarrassing for a Europe facing "good boy" government and media class. How is this going to go down at the next junket.

I think you are grossly overhyping these fringe "protests".

The idea that they will be even mentioned when the European heads of state meet is quite remedial, I think Soviet expansionism into Europe may still dominate the agenda and not a small bunch of people who seem to have a hell a lot of time on their hands screaming at and threating to burn people out of their accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Grassroots. F**king hilarious. The same posters are being printed for all of these protests by the same crowd, whoever they are. "Irish Lives Matter" etc. Hysteria is being whipped up on Facebook. A few locals come out and protest, who never before were out protesting for the real problems in their community. Johnny Foreigner is the last thing any of us would be worried about in Ballymun or East Wall on a dark night, let's face it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Murphy is shooting imself in the foot big time over on Twitter, he seems to have forgotten its the same people he is having a go at that he will be looking for votes from in 2 years time.

Boyd Barrett seems to be a bit smarter, not a peep out of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The protests were on the front page of all the broadsheets today. Immigration is now on the agenda.

Those in already marginalised communities who express fears over who is being housed next to them are labelled fascists while those in more salubrious areas such as Mount Anville who do the same are merely concerned citizens. Those in wealthier areas have a stronger voice and have more clout.

Let’s see the reaction to hundreds of asylum seekers in the leafy suburbs (if it ever happens) before we single out communities for labelling.

The original meetings in Kill were in the GAA club, supported by the Mayor of Kildare but there is a condescending middle class attitude that the working class are simpletons with no agency just waiting to be manipulated but stay silent on the government paying local “ambassadors” to manipulate these people in favour of government policy.

Post edited by SafeSurfer on

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

I'm not looking to win an argument here, just trying to describe what's been happening at these protests for anyone who's interested. Whether you believe what I'm saying doesn't bother me.

Take Ballymun as an example. Last Friday a local put up a video of a busload of what seemed to be arab men being let in to a building (not the Hotel). On Saturday morning someone took a poster jpg that had been used for East Wall and changed the details to announce a demo in Ballymun that afternoon. It got absolutely no traction or attention on Telegram groups. I didn't bother going. There seemed a good chance of it being very small and a bit sad. Instead, to everyone's surprise, looking at the videos there were about 150/200 at it. All locals - none of us.

There was one local who was in the NP and had a megaphone. He got no advance support or mention on NP's, or any other, Telegram.

The following day, last Sunday, there were nearly a thousand in Ballymun. (Guards say 600, Malachy Steenson 2000).

Including a small number of so called "Far Right". (Populist is a much more accurate description). Malachy did some crowd control and gave the Guards someone to talk to.

It's hard to overstate how much awareness there is of how counterproductive any violence would be. It's also hard to overestimate how disorganised all of this is. We kept trying to impress on locals the need to form a committee.

(East Wall has a very good rule: support is welcome but no party banners or speeches. Hopefully Ballymun get organised enought to implement this rule. In my opinion the tiny NP presence didn't help the locals in any way and allowed their protest to be undermined by association. NP's "involvement" was standing around with a banner and handing out leaflets - no real interaction with locals, a small number of irrelevant people in a crowd of a thousand trying to advertise themselves. They're going nowhere electorally by the way.)

At the end a local young fella started hammering on the door of the hotel. A lot of people moved in to stop him.

(Earlier someone got out of a car to have a go at us. It was comical how we all tried to back off and get out of his way. Same for the attempt at confrontataion by the riot squad.)

The crowd didn't scream, the crowd chanted "Get Them Out". Philly MacMahon has heard a lot worse from Hill 16 without needing to clutch his pearls.

It was terrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

there is a condescending middle class attitude that the working class are simpletons

The middle class ARE the working class. The middle class attitude to the socioeconomically deprived class, of which a feature is high unemployment, poverty and crime, has always existed. Even before there were ever an influx of refugees accommodated in any particular area, there were immigrants living there, who couldn’t afford to live anywhere else. There are immigrants living in affluent areas too who are members of the upper socioeconomic classes, who share the same attitudes towards refugees and immigrants in socioeconomically deprived areas.

You can’t actually be surprised about all this when the mainstream media are reporting on these issues in the hope of something kicking off, they do enough glamorising of criminals already. The condescending attitude you refer to is actually useful in riling up useful idiots to promote propaganda about refugees, ‘fighting age males coming from countries where rape is prevalent and women are second class citizens’, the usual tropes, and they’ll be the same idiots cribbing about wokism and feminism and how ‘the left’ is destroying Irish society.

It’s nothing more than imported culture wars nonsense being used to incite violent disorder, fuelled by mainstream media who are hoping something kicks off that’ll give them a few weeks worth of news.

I don't think Ballymun will be the first item on the agenda of the European Council.

I do think it matters to our government to be able to point out to their EU colleagues how generous we are being to immigrants. I think they're cultivating that as part of our image.

Irish women and their kids standing in front of a refugee centre chanting "Get them out" makes that just a tad harder to sell, don't you think. How embarrassing.

• Advertisement

"Us" being the kind of people of all persuasions who've been showing up at protests like this as they spread around the country. People (in my case anyway) with politics no different from the Fianna Fail platform about 10 years ago. People who are now lazily labelled "Far Right".

I am sorry, I am not sure I understand your point.

The point I was trying to make is that when wealthier communities express concern about, for example, a halting site. Their concerns are listened to and reported on sympathetically by the media. Their local politicians will, in general meet with them and represent their concerns.

Contrast that with marginalised communities. Even on this thread, racists, lazy, work shy, knuckle draggers, criminals, etc, etc.

I don’t understand why a local community expressing concern about something that impacts their community, no more than if it was a halting site on the south side, a landfill site in Meath or a gas terminal in Mayo, is “nothing more than imported culture wars”.

One thing is certain and that’s the government cannot be seen to give in to these protests or they will be met with protests in every community they attempt to place asylum seekers.

And yet you initially introduced yourself as though you were an unbiased source 😒

One eyed jack the anti Irish/white racist who posted "pasty faced gobshites" . No ban I see. Now you blanket label and slander protestors as illiterate criminals.

Boards.ie is ruined because of this kind of one sided shite.

When have wealthier communities ever expressed concerns about a halting site? 😁 The closest I’ve ever heard mention of it was Peter Casey, the multi-millionaire, hoping to score a few points with the middle class electorate who he wouldn’t normally want anything to do with. The upper classes whom he was hoping for support from in the local elections wanted nothing to do with him either.

I completely get the point you’re making about ‘marginalised communities’ -

Contrast that with marginalised communities. Even on this thread, racists, lazy, work shy, knuckle draggers, criminals, etc, etc.

Can you honestly tell me that stereotype didn’t exist long before there were ever refugees being accommodated in those areas? It did if course, only some middle class types who previously portrayed ‘marginalised communities’ as being drains on society, are now pretending to be concerned about ‘marginalised communities’ because refugees, who they portray as fighting age male rapists and criminals coming from safe countries… (love to see them square that one).

The only thing that IS certain is that Government are going to continue to ignore the handful of misanthropes whom it’s clear from their actions that their only concerns are themselves, and that the vast majority of people who actually live in any community have no interest in being lumped in with these people -

racists, lazy, work shy, knuckle draggers, criminals, etc, etc.

It's surprising (to me at any rate) the extent to which these protests are driven and organised by local women. The main initial organising seems to happen mostly on Whatsapp because that's where these women already have a network. No gender quotas required. No need to "empower" these women.

And for all the time and money that's been spent on "empowering local communities" and "giving the dispossessed a voice" when it happens of its own accord, and for real, the professionals are disgusted with them.

No outsider in their right mind would have the nerve to go in and start telling these women what to do - or try to "organise them".

They're great to be around. Come on down to East Wall some night and meet them.

P.S.

"One thing is certain and that’s the government cannot be seen to give in to these protests or they will be met with protests in every community they attempt to place asylum seekers."

Nail on the head.

You’re not exactly helping your argument that Boards is ruined because of one sided shìte when you take what I said out of context in an attempt to play the victim.

You don’t appear to have understood the point I was making, or the people I was referring to, or the MYTH I was saying was the only thing they were successful in perpetuating -

All any so-called ‘grassroots’ protests have succeeded in doing is perpetuating the myth in tandem with mainstream media that residents living in socioeconomically deprived areas are uneducatable, work-shy, illiterate criminals and welfare spongers, incapable of functioning in civilised society, let alone contributing anything of any value to society.

I've yet to meet an unbiased source. What about yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Similar attitudes are hurled at African-Americans who dared vote Trump a few years back.

There is a strong streak of "we're your betters and we know whats best for you" amongst a sizable cohort of the wealthy class supported by NGOs welded to the tit of public money.

Just one example of many where wealthier communities are more successful in getting their way.

• Advertisement

When have wealthier communities ever expressed concerns about a halting site?

Oh, you don't have to look far at all at all. In that particular case, these folk were opposed to temporary housing following a fire in which a child died.

Revolting.

Oh I’m totally not an unbiased source, I’ve never tried to portray myself as such either by coming on and pretending I was just offering my perspective as an unbiased source, as though it were actual fact and not just another unbiased opinion. This for example, is simply untrue -

To get the ball rolling, the most useful thing I can tell people is the thing people really don't want to hear: the protests - the successful and well supported ones - are genuine grassroots phenomena.

30 years is your example? Ahh here, there’s been immigrants shunted out of Finglas quicker than that 😂

Ahh you do really, that article is nearly 7 years old, we don’t all have memories like Google Search! 🤨

[It] is simply untrue [that] - the successful and well supported [protests] - are genuine grassroots phenomena.

So it's the bit after that I'd like to see - where you present reasons for your statement based on actual events in Ballymun

It's to hear those kind of evidence based arguments that I made the effort of posting on this thread. I'm confident you'll deliver.

Not 30 ago. It took the authorities 30 years to try to house an Irish ethnic group on their own land in a wealthy area and they ultimately failed while others were housed in disadvantaged areas overnight without consultation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Were you holding the national party banners and placards?

What else do you expect? The state are not exactly breaking a sweat in creating Direct Provision Centres and Halting Sites in predominantly upper class areas. The few times they tried there was stiff opposition as shown by the articles linked in the last few posts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That Dee Wall geebag, "citizen journalist", crutch when it suits for the welfare....harassing nuns in Ballyfermot...for getting a mattress delivered for migrants....when it turns out it was for...a nun....lol

• Advertisement

I was rolling my eyes at the few people holding the national party banner. And advising the local organisers that they would be much better off without them - like in East Wall.

Advertisement