Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I won’t be going to East Wall or Ballymun. Because to do so would make me a hypocrite. I live a long way away. I never supported those communities before, so to do so now would not be right.

One thing that I do believe is that as One Eyed Jack said, stereotypes exist. If we look beyond the stereotype, whether that be a howarya from Ballymun, a refugee, a Ukrainian, they are people. And people are, when you get to know them, generally decent.

I was at my kid’s school play before Christmas and about 20 Ukrainian children in the school sang a Ukrainian Carol. It was the first time I had considered these 20 children spending their first Christmas away from home, in a strange land, with a war going on back home.

The local soccer coach is from west Africa, a really good man, who the kids love.

Once those children were just “Ukrainians”, the coach was just a “refugee” but when you get to know them they are just people, with worries and fears and hopes, the same as Mary from Ballymun or Tom from East Wall or You or me.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Yes, that’s what I was pointing out - it took the residents of an affluent area 30 years to ensure travellers weren’t accommodated near them, and travellers are not refugees. Travellers are indigenous population remember? Other travellers certainly haven’t been housed in disadvantaged areas overnight without consultation, they’ve hardly been accommodated anywhere. The people protesting about refugees being accommodated in their areas have never given a tuppeny fcuk about travellers either, yet they’ll claim they represent the views of local residents? 😒

The protests have neither been successful, nor well supported, nor are they genuine grassroots phenomena. They’re the reasons for my statement, based upon actual events. They’re the same evidence based arguments as your own.

That was my point- I didn’t expect it at all. That you have to use one example from 7 years ago, and the other example Surfer provided of a 30 year standoff, surely demonstrates the point!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

No, you are missing the point. It’s not that it took this community 30 years to stop a halting site being built. They stopped it FOR 30 years and then the authorities were forced to give up!

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

Thanks for that very thoughtful, very decent, contribution.

Despite the terrible misrepresentations in the media and by government there is no one in these protest groups who harbour ill will against women and children from Ukraine. Like I said the people driving these protests are themselves women with children.

An example would be Fermoy where most of the "refugees" were women and children. The protest there was based on the inability of Fermoy's schools and GPs to handle the influx.

Someone like yourself, who can empathise with the situation these women and children find themselves in, must be as repulsed as the rest of us by what was done in East Wall. The building was initially occupied by men. Algerians mostly. Then, in order to undermine the protest - there's no other obvious reason - women and children were taken out of hotels and put in on top of these men. To share showers with them. To have their privacy invaded. That's according to these mothers themselves.

When you actually see one of these children who've been stuck in there to score a political point it forces you to wonder just what sort of person Roderic O'Gorman really is.

OK, never mind.

You say the protests haven't been successful. How would you define success?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Liath Luachra

You can only admire the level of persistence and investment in ridiculing what is merely a "fringe protest". and still, any robust benefits to the unlimited cap of migrants entering the country remains elusive, despite all the paragraphs written.

No I got the point. It amounts to the same thing. It’s an exceptionally rare example of the local council trying to accommodate travellers in an affluent area. The vast majority of the time, travellers simply aren’t accommodated anywhere. Of the €18m allocated for traveller housing in 2022, only €6m has been spent by local authorities-

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/housing-planning/2022/08/22/only-a-third-of-traveller-housing-budget-spent/

For anyone complaining about refugees being prioritised before Irish people and using homeless figures as an example, they’ll be the same people opposing to housing travellers anywhere too -

A 2018 report from the Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission found Travellers to be 22 times more likely than any other group to be discriminated against in the private rental sector.

Data from 2018 for Dublin city and county recorded 504 homeless Travellers in emergency accommodation in October 2018, including 100 families with children – this represented 9% of all homeless families in Dublin.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40359824.html

Ehh, by whether or not protesters aims have been achieved is generally how success is measured. They haven’t achieved anything other than to perpetuate already existing negative stereotypes of people living in socioeconomically deprived areas. The middle classes still don’t think of people from those areas as any salt of the earth morally upstanding types, they still think of them as unemployable criminals and welfare spongers who are an economic drain on Ireland’s resources. Don’t just take my word for it though, plenty of threads come up regularly enough to demonise the welfare class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The point is, the government is demonstrating, through it's own actions via Roderic O Gorman's department, that placement of migrants into state care is targeted in areas that have a small or non-existent upper class. You cannot deny that with any reasonable cause.

I wouldn’t try and deny it though. I get the point being made, and the reason for it is obvious - there aren’t the facilities and services available in affluent areas to accommodate refugees.

I don't think any protestor went out with the aim of exonerating themselves in the eyes of some bigots.

I would define success in terms of the mainstreaming of the protestors ideas. And the wins keep coming.

Here's someone voicing our ideas who managed to get heard this week.

We need more appropriate and robust border controls.

It's important that asylum seekers should get “a decision in the negative” as quickly as possible.

There needs to be a determination to tighten up on people entering the country illegally. If people want to come here for economic reasons it's important that they follow the rules - it's not fair on other people if anyone's tried to get around those rules.

Here's another voice for the "Far Right"

The notion that Ireland is, or could become, a soft touch for uncontrolled economic migrancy posing as asylum seeking is a potent political weapon. Developed countries find it immensely difficult to deal with the volume of asylum-seeking arrivals in a manner and time frame that is both fair and effective. It is that inability which creates an opening for economic migrancy posing as asylum-seeking and for international trafficking of economic migrants.

Despite the terms of the Dublin III rules, would-be applicants for asylum in Ireland find little difficulty in transiting through the EU to seek asylum in Ireland.

40% of asylum seekers at Dublin Airport appear to have lost or destroyed their travel/identity documents between boarding a flight for Dublin and presenting at immigration control.

The number of genuine asylum-seekers from Georgia must be tiny. Destroying travel documents is designed to make the Irish international protection legal process longer and less effective.

International protection applications must be processed far more quickly. Destruction of air travel/identity documents must become a negative for applicants. Judicial review should be simplified and take a different form, perhaps, in lower-level summary immigration courts.

Recognise these Far Right extremists?

The first is Leo, last week

The second is Michael McDowell, last month.

The NP aren't a serious electoral force, nor, for the moment, are the Freedom Party. But the entryism of ideas? Continues apace.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Jarhead_Tendler threadbanned

I would define success in terms of the mainstreaming of the protestors ideas. And the wins keep coming.

The NP aren't a serious electoral force, nor, for the moment, are the Freedom Party. But the entryism of ideas? Continues apace.

Voicing your ideas? No they’re not. The only thing you’ve managed to demonstrate yet again is that you hear only what you want to hear. Leo is Leo, y’know, you just never know what he’s gonna come out with, his actions (or indeed lack thereof) are what matters, and as for McDowell, he already acknowledges that your ideas have gained very little traction in the publics mind -

The Tánaiste, Micheál Martin, recently spoke of the attempts by far-right groups to seek entry into our parliament by the back door, encouraging some members to adopt racial replacement rhetoric in their contributions to debates in the Oireachtas. And his observations have some substance, even if those contributions have gained relatively little traction in the public’s mind.

https://www.michaelmcdowell.ie/dangers-of-far-right-politics-exploiting-asylum-issues.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

lol, imagine if, as they say, someone planted some "controlled opposition" in the far right sewers. They wouldn't do a better job than that. You'd be saying they played a blinder lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

All the protests are doing is making a bit of a show of some working class communities (what community wants to be associated with a bunch of Neanderthal bigots shouting slogans outside a refugee centre?). That's why we're seeing pushback in all of these communities against the actual protestors and people publicly stating they want nothing to do with them.

The population of Ballymun is 22,000. There were perhaps 200 people at that protest the other evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Water charge protests started off small like this and same was said about the people in them. One clown of a TD compared them to isis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

Given how slow and reluctant Irish people are to protest about anything it's not an insignificant number from a local community.

Same goes for the East Wall.

I'm surprised at the number of protests around the country and there is obviously a lot of frustration there.

The issues about school places, housing and healthcare are very real and they are widespread. Lots of tut tutting from the good people of Ireland, the comfortable pensioners, the 'nice people ' .

Throwing dozens of kids with no English into a local school doesn't raise standards at that school, it lowers them. The single biggest education metric is student :teacher ratio.

It does take away places from other kids. Many of us have had to deal with this reality. NO SCHOOL PLACES for your kid. Taxpayer? Irish citizens? TOUGH LUCK.

Then WTF am I paying taxes up to 50% for?

Same for healthcare/GP access. When you add patients to the roster others drop off.

They drop off!

GP will offer you an appointment two weeks later. Hopefully you are alive then.

Same for housing. Its limited. When somebody gets housing others dont get it. They dont get it! Simple as that.

One can be isolated from that if you live on Dublin southside where these are less refugee centres and send your kids to Terenure college or the local Gaelscoil and your brother in law is a doctor.

I'm not blaming genuine refugees on this. I blame the govenrment for not implementing policies which will lessen impact on citizens. For instance why can Ukranians in Ireland not run their own schools and medical centers in some towns?

They have the numbers, skills and people to do this.

Post edited by maninasia on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Your laughing an awful lot... I live in the area, I know people who have encountered her...if it's an act she keeps it up 24/7 the poisonous cretin put it that way. Including relations. Let's hope she ends up back in jail...lol...lol...she is heading that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

I'm certainly not a fan of hers but as a "leftie" I couldn't ask for a better person to be more prominent on the other side. So in that way I do appreciate her work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

@banie01 apologies boards won't let me delete an incorrect tag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

We could be in an even bigger mess soon if the government doesn't start paying their bills

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Irish women and their kids standing in front of a refugee centre chanting "Get them out" makes that just a tad harder to sell, don't you think. How embarrassing.

Yes, a lack of proper role models for the children is an ongoing problem aparently.

Post edited by Boggles on

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You have said that there was awareness that violence would be counterproductive.

How does chanting "get them out" fit in though. You were "get them out" at people who live there. Many people (including me) have described this as agressive and intimidating.

What do you think though?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I dont understand that?

Are you saying they harbour ill will towards men from Ukraine and other Male asylum seekers?

The women and children in the Hotel in Ballymun were moved in there BEFORE the protest. Can you explain more about how they were supposedly moved in to undermine the protest? Are you clamining women in the hotel have publicly said they were moved in to undermine protest?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

That's incorrect. They are placing them in hotels and empty buildings in all areas. But the chances are the 3 star hotels are not located in premium residential areas. It's primarily working class areas that these far right agitators are targeting as they know they are less well eduacated and more liklely to believe the guff they are spreading.

There are quite a few Ukranians in Rathgar. Some are in BnB's there and some are in people's houses. I would say Rathgar is a rather opulent area. Similarly there are some in accommodation in Ballsbridge. Another opulent area. ButFar Right agitators would not be give one second of someone's time in these "upper class" areas as most people there are well educated and donlt take their news feed from tiktok.

Most Ukranians are being housed outside Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick & Waterford city areas - most "Irish" people in emergency accommodation are in Dublin (over 70%)

example - Eastern region - Adults in emergency accommodation - Dublin 5,356, Kildare 179, Meath 197, Wicklow 45.

The entire county of Roscommon has 8 adults in emergency accommodation.

When Children (those under 18) are included, Dublin is 7795.

So the "homeless issue is very much a Dublin issue. The entire county of cork is under 700 people.

Then lets look at the "look after our own" racist/xenophobic argument. 39% of those on the "homeless" list are not Irish. 22% are UK/EU and 17% are non-EU.

And if you cross reference it with the census, 18% are from the Traveller community who make up an extraordinary large number of the Dublin figures.

So if a representative sample of the "homeless" were put into the ESB building at east wall (300 people), 56 would be travellers, 66 would be UK/EU, 53 would be from outside the EU and 125 would be "White(washed) Irish".

Shows the stupidity of the argument the far right are using.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It's primarily working class areas that these far right agitators are targeting as they know they are less well eduacated and more liklely to believe the guff they are spreading.

There are quite a few Ukranians in Rathgar. Some are in BnB's there and some are in people's houses. I would say Rathgar is a rather opulent area. Similarly there are some in accommodation in Ballsbridge. Another opulent area. ButFar Right agitators would not be give one second of someone's time in these "upper class" areas as most people there are well educated and donlt take their news feed from tiktok

This is literally all your own worldview more so than theirs, and is far more reflective of your own elitism/snobbery than theirs. It's the typical middle class view of things though; that the middle class types are highly educated, so that means that they are very smart, when that's not really the case. I'm "educated", yet you'd happily put me in the "far right" camp.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

they're certainly smart enough not to stand outside places where emigrants are being housed shouting out out out. smart enough to know this is bottom of the barrel neanderthal behaviour that you do not want to be associated with whether you have a problem with housing emigrants or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It's hard to see how a crowd outside your new 'home' chanting 'Get them out' would not be intimdating for a child of four or five if they understood the words and probably even if they didn't...

Advertisement