Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions Cup 2023

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Agreed, Burkie. How it was one yellow apiece after that schmozzle is a mystery. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Feels like the referee was doing a J5 game. Calm down handbags when you don't know whats going on by giving a random player on each team a yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Red card for Racing. 14 v 10 to Quinns. 52mins gone

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Harlequins win 14-10. Hard to see Racing making it to the knockouts and they will hopefully be disinterested when they come to Dublin.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hopefully not. These cakewalks are good for nobody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Interesting that half way through the pool 4 of the 4 French sides in Pool A are 9th to 12th. In Pool B 2 La Rochelle and Toulouse are 1st and 2nd. Clermont and Montpellier 8th and 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I've listed the French teams below. On the left is their seed and on their right is their pool position.

1 Castres 12

1 Montpellier 9

2 Bordeaux 9

2 Toulouse 2

3 La Rochelle 1

3 Racing 92 11

4 Clermont 8

4 Lyon 10

I have to say (and I've said before) that I'm not a fan of the domestic league results of a single season controlling European seeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Castres losing to Edi, MHR to Ospreys, Bordeaux, Clermont and Lyon all facing SA teams (Clermont, I think, with the only win?).

And Leinster just Leinstering Racing.

URC is the #BestLeague

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

DuPont's try at 47 minutes against Sale was unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

DuPonts 2 tries were unreal. He's at present the Lionel Messi of Rugby, minus a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

With only 4 games, Pool A is becoming clear in terms of who will finish in the top spots. Very hard to see beyond Leinster and Saracens now given they've both won away in France. After that, Exeter are the likely third spot given they've also won in France but still have to go to SA. Not out of the question that Exeter finish second though if they can get a win away to the Bulls who have not been impressive at all this season.

After that, we're probably looking at the Sharks (again, a road win in France under their belts) who have to go to Quins in their final game which could be key for Quins qualifying.

It's starting to look like 7 points might be enough for someone to qualify in the final spots in Pool A given 4 teams have no win at this point.

Pool B is harder to call. 12 points is looking like it might be enough for a home knock out match. You'd back La Rochelle, Toulouse and Leicester all to do enough to get 12/13 points now minimum and secure home knock outs. After that, it's a mess. Bonus points will be crucial. If the Stormers can win in London Irish, they should take the final home quarter final with 13 points (assuming they can beat Clermont at home too). Crucially for them, they're already in the UK the week before to face Glasgow so will be well adjusted when they travel to London several days before their game.

After that, it's 5 teams going after 4 spots. It's probably going to take 10 points to secure one of those spots. Sale have the toughest games hosting Toulouse and away to Ulster but Toulouse visit the week after travelling to La Rochelle and Ulster are likely to be mathematically eliminated by the time Sale arrive.

Montpellier have London Irish at home and Ospreys away; they're capable of winning both but I'd imagine they might lose in Wales which puts Ospreys in the mix with a trip to Leicester to finish. Clermont will be depending on bonus points. Get them and they'll progress.

Munster should be safe with a BP win at home to Northampton given how other games are panning out. I don't see the Ospreys getting a BP at home to Montpellier or much away to Leicester so I'd expect them to be the odd man out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Clermont Leicester is a cracker. 26 34. 54th minute. BT2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Brilliant game, that last turnover was top class

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

If anyone could PM a link to the Leicester game, it would be appreciated

Of Raka had held onto that he'd have scored, great tackle to make him pass though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Great game, but wouldn't be worried about having to play either of these teams.

Ah yeah, very loose and both would struggle against a well drilled team, Clermont were just missing a good 10 to direct the attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,323 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Bath v Toulon postponed.

"The pitch at The Rec was deemed unplayable and Bath said there were "up to eight inches of standing water" in the stadium.

Toulon still hope to play the match this weekend.

"Due to heavy and persistent rainfall over recent days, the River Avon has exceeded its bank-full capacity," read a Bath statement."

Postponing games is ok now, it seems.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Postponing games has always been ok depending on context.

It will have to be played this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Gloucester hosed for a second time and can still qualify for knockout stage. Shows the weakness of the competitions group structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Totally agree. Structure is a mess. You can mathematically win just one game and qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The rain might keep the scoreline down and save some face for DmF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Ospreys knock Munster out of a home knockout with their win over Montpellier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I think the last 16 will be

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

• Registered Users Posts: 11,781 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Les Kiss making a fool of himself live on TV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Yeah that was embarrassing. All Loader has to do is tackle with his right shoulder there, as kids are taught to do from 7 years old. It's not hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Happyhouse22

You could always mathematically win one game and qualify.... Now you can win one game and realistically hope to qualify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

If Stormers win with a tbp we get pushed down to 6th. They've 3 tries already at half time. Think with a tough round 16 away time likely looking at going out ar round 16 or else the qf unfortunately.

Advertisement